PDA

View Full Version : Z Axis 238 (anyone familiar with this one?)

Technicow
09-26-2008, 10:08 PM
I did a search and saw other variants of errors but not the "238" on the z axis.
Not sure if "238" implies a different condition or all "z axis" errors are very similar.

The symptom is pretty obvious (dig deep or stay in the air while carving).

I can move the Z axis up & down by hand. It is not impossible to move but it does not mover super easily. I am assuming that the motor is giving a natural drag on moving this, perhaps I am wrong. How easy should the assembly move vertically by hand? It seems to drag, but I see no obvious thing holding it back or causing the dragging.

Should this move pretty easily by hand?

I checked and saw no wood chips or "gunk" in the belt. The belt is tight in the assembly. I have about 1/16" to 1/8" play in the middle of the belt. I held the belt and tried to get it to slip by hand, it didn't seem to slip. Should it be tighter/looser?

I was watching as it started a carve, it ran 2 back and forth normal cuts as it works into the board. Next cut was about 1/4" of wood in one shot (glad it was just cheap/weak pine!). Then it cut through on one end (through the board). Design did not include cuts going through. It continued (too deep) for 1/4" of the design. Then it must have slipped (or not sensed properly) and the bit was cutting air 1/2" above the board. 6 passes of that (with me watching going "oh crap, this is not what I wanted") and it threw a "Z Axis 238" error.

Does the system rely on the optical sensor for board measurement while cutting? Just curious here. I was assuming that once the preliminary measurements are made, then the machine makes assumptions and does not resense the height of the board. If I am wrong, let me know (as this would point to that sensor).

Is there a sensor which watches the vertical movement? Is it prone to issues?

Again, any input to debug this is very much appreciated.

mtylerfl
09-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Hello,

Have you looked up the symptoms in your Troubleshooting Guide? Might help you locate the source of the problem.

If you don't have the guide, you can download it from the Troubleshooting PDF's section of the forum http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32555&postcount=11

Digitalwoodshop
09-27-2008, 03:40 PM
First question? New Z Pack or the old one? You want the new Z if you don't have it.

The Bit Flag must be hit correctly to show correct length and prevent an air or too deep carve.

You might have a bad Z Bearing. Remove the Z Motor and try moving it up and down feeling for a bad bearing.

AL

Technicow
09-27-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure what the difference is between old & new. I bought the machine about 4 months ago so I am assuming new.

I had lubricated the bottom pulley for the z axis belt and let it sit overnight. Hopefully I am not fooling myself but I think it is moving more freely.

I had removed the cutting flex shaft and moved the cutting assembly (Z Pack is the proper term I am learning more every day). It moved very easily up & down.

Tommorow morning I'll reinstall the flex shat and see how freely it moves. If it moves well I'll put a test piece in. It errored out pretty quick the other night so I am assuming that if it is still misbehaving it will tell me quick.

Thanks!
Andy

First question? New Z Pack or the old one? You want the new Z if you don't have it.

The Bit Flag must be hit correctly to show correct length and prevent an air or too deep carve.

You might have a bad Z Bearing. Remove the Z Motor and try moving it up and down feeling for a bad bearing.

AL

liquidguitars
09-28-2008, 12:57 AM
I did a search and saw other variants of errors but not the "238" on the z axis.
Not sure if "238" implies a different condition or all "z axis" errors are very similar.

The symptom is pretty obvious (dig deep or stay in the air while carving).

Normaly I think this would be a bad encoader..

try checking the flat ribon cable off the "Z" truck and hood cover wires conectors.

run a check on your packs..

"07" will give you read outs of the encoader if the numbers
are smooth your packs should be ok..

BTW what firmware are you using?

LG

Technicow
09-28-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm running 1.130. I see a 1.131 is out there. Should I grab it? Mechanically it moves smoothly. The reading from the Z Axis start at -235 on the top (should that be zero?). I'll go through and check all of the cables.

Is there a sensor in that assembly which watches /counts ticks vertically?

I'll be out of town for a few days due to work, so if I don't reply it is due to that. I really do appreciate all of the help and input folks have!

Normaly I think this would be a bad encoader..

try checking the flat ribon cable off the "Z" truck and hood cover wires conectors.

run a check on your packs..

"07" will give you read outs of the encoader if the numbers
are smooth your packs should be ok..

BTW what firmware are you using?

LG

mtylerfl
09-29-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm running 1.130. I see a 1.131 is out there. Should I grab it?

Hello,

I think the 1.131 is likely the best Designer update thus far. It has several can't-live-without features that make it a "must have" in my personal opinion.:D

The Issue 12, September 2008 Tips & Tricks entitled "Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights" has just been completed. If you wish, you can download it immediately at http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html

atauer
09-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Technicow,

From doing some brief reading here, your symptoms sound as if your z-encoder is bad, or you have a loose connection running to the z-motor. For further troubleshooting, I would recommend calling our support line. The technicians will walk you through a few troubleshooting steps, and have you check a few things, that way you know exactly what is occurring.

Just an FYI.

TerryT
09-29-2008, 05:37 PM
On my last two or three projects I noticed wavey patterns developing on what should have been flat surfaces, then the z truck stopped working. I checked it out and found that the black plastic hood on the back of the z truck had broken at the one screw holding it on. The hood had lifted on the bottom and slowly, over time, pulled out the ribbon cable and the z motor plug. No damage but there could have been I guess. Hot glue gun fixed it.