PDA

View Full Version : Tool extraction tool

rlane10347
09-24-2008, 07:56 PM
After having one QC unit go bad after 50 hours and looking at the problems with the bad, unit I have questions about using the supplied tool extraction tool. I just installed my new QC unit lubricated it well and cleaned the tool and lubricated it before putlting it into the machine. After a couple of short carves I tried to take the tool out and it was stuck. But remembering a thread in this forum I did not use the tool to try and get the tool out. I just lightly tapped and turned the QC unit and the tool just dropped out along with allot of saw dust. If I had used the tool I would have destroyed the soft tool holder and possible the ball bearing seat. When the tool sticks the taper lock is not shallow enough to cause the stick but is the ball just does not drop back due to saw dust, then the pressure from the tool will push the ball bearing into the soft tool holder denting it. I may be wrong but I feel the tool holder should be hardened and the tool should be unstuck with gentle taps, oil, and air. Above all keep it clean and oiled.

Jeff_Birt
09-25-2008, 05:53 AM
Or, you could make sure to clean all the sawdust out of the chuck? If you don't have a dust collection 'down draft' system and your carving some very dusty woods (like MDF) then you may need to vacuum/blow out the chuck quite often to prevent sawdust impaction. This will happen no matter what material it is made out of. CW has a new document in the downloads section of the main web page, all about the care and feeding if the chuck. It's worth a read...

rlane10347
09-25-2008, 07:01 AM
The situation I was talking about was with a new QC unit and a tool with a new holder. Just after about 1 1/2 hour of cutting there was enough saw dust to stop the ball from dropping back and force would have damaged it. I always clean and oil on each tool change. Just wanted to point out the danger of putting pressure on the tool with the ball stuck in. Hard tools will take allot more pressure than soft.