PDA

View Full Version : anyone looking for corian

myshop1044
09-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi there
I found a web site called solidsurface.com that sells solid surface material in any size you want or brand name too. The price is a little high,but you can cut the piece into smaller one. The only costly part of the item is the shipping, it seems to about $25.00 per piece. There are many colors and sizes. You can even let them know by E-mail what you are looking for and they will let you know when it comes in stock.
I tried Ebay but was not able to find what I was looking for. I'm still trying to con some of the conter top people around here to part with some of the sink dropping for free, but no luck.

later

Myshop 1044

supershingler
09-25-2008, 12:09 PM
my shop

i have a countertop shop that sell me their sink cutouts for 10.00 apiece

i also bought a 30" x 8' piece of 1/4' white corian for litho's

if you need a piece of either pm me and i'll let you know what shipping and prices would be.

i think the 1/4" corian is about .14 a square inch

the sink cutouts you can get a 11 x 14 1/2" oval out of them

i think ups was about 15.00 dollars to ship one piece

kendall

myshop1044
10-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks supershingler for the info.
I was able to find a local counter top person and he gave me a sample to try.
I have some questions on finishing the carvings.
1. Can I polish some of the carved parts, if so what kind of polish do I use
and what kind of tools do I need to use for this.
2. Painting the carved area of the corian and the top surface.
will the paint spread out evenly of even stay on the surface that I paint.
3. what type of paint do I use for this painting.
any advice from any corian carvers would be helpful before I go any futher.
attached are my first two tries with Corian.

Thanks again

Perry

supershingler
10-06-2008, 10:35 PM
my shop

all i do to polish my corian is use water and wet dry sandpaper

if i do lettering i usually us a exterior grade spray paint and paint the letters
let the paint dry and then sand off with 80 grit sandpaper(just regular sandpaper will do for this as i dry sand this)
then i start with 220 wet and dry and start working my way finer
i just have a spray bottle(old windex bottle filled with water) and wet the surface and then use my 1/4 sheet dewalt sander and sand the entire surface
wet it again and wipe off the sanding junk. wet again and use a finer grade each time until i reach the finish im looking for. i usually get to about 600 when i quit it gives it a nice polished look.

i also have a bowling ball resurfacing kit call a cab that has various grits starting at 120 up to 2000 grit that work great on my 5" random orbit sander as they are velco backed and attach to the sander.

i know mixing water with electricity is now a good thing but i alway make sure my hands are dry and the sander is plugged into a gfi outlet. make sure not to spray the sander just the corian(my disclaimer).

good luck

once you start carving corian its hard to go back to wood.

let me know how you turn out.

oh by the way i showed a hunting lodge owner a couple of my plaques and got an order for 8 hot plates made of corian with their name and logo on them(i never would of thought of hot plates).

ill post a picture when i have them done

kendall

SAA3840
10-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Doesn't that stuff play hell with your bits? It's a lot harder than wood, isn't it? How long does your carve (1/16") bit last?

myshop1044
10-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi Saa3840,
I don't know yet what it will do to the bit, but I have 2 carving bits and I will keep one just for Corian and go from there. If any one has had trouble with the bits dulling while carving corian or any other name brand of soild surface material , just jump right in here and give us some info.

later
Perry

supershingler
10-07-2008, 05:30 PM
so far i have not noticed any dulling from carving in corian

ive done ten or so plaques so far with no ill affects so far

kendall

TIMCOSBY
10-09-2008, 03:13 PM
are designed to cut metal (end mills) so they should last a long time even in grittyer stuff.

eromran
10-09-2008, 06:01 PM
I've done 50 or so lithophanes and getting close to 100 Landcruiser emblems and radio delete plates out of corian and my bit is still just as sharp as it was. I've buffed quit a few on a bench buffer with carnauba wax and they turn out pretty good if your just trying to get the shine back not talking about paint. Actually on most of the wood peaces i do if i can get it under the buffer that's how i finish it. Gives it a real nice natural look and extremely hard and non toxic.