PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking And The Machine

jerrbitt
09-24-2008, 03:59 PM
I posted a thread last week about how the Carvewright saved me quite a few steps building a crib. A few asked to post some pictures of what I was discussing.

Very simply, the design on the crib required cutting a piece of the headboard in three sections, cutting dados, and then gluing the three pieces back together. This to be repeated for the other section of the crib. The dados would be the area in which pyramid shapes would be glued.

I saved a lot of time and effort and gained a lot in appearance by using the Carvewright to cut a carve regions (the dados). Then I embellished it a little by placing a carving on the side opposite the dados.

The attached pictures show the headboard, and then a little closer for a one side view of the carving and then the opposiste side for the pyrmaid cutouts with one of the pyramids showing.

I did learn something cutting out those carve regions. They ended up slightly large than designed, maybe an 1/8", because I failed to take into account the width of the carving bit. Lesson learned.

Kenm810
09-24-2008, 04:55 PM
jerrbitt,

Nice Job on the crib, a great project
Please follow up with some finished Photos
Thanks for sharing

Dan-Woodman
09-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Jerrbitt
Nice looking crib. Just a word of advice, don't let that top board overhang on the sides. Make absolutlely sure that any kind of belt, string, rope chain, tee shirt or whatever can not hang from thie top rail. The government has written guidelines for cribs and can be found on the web. This is a serious possible strangulation hazard. Tee shirts of babies get caught on any protrusion.
I built one years ago and found a website with very good rules and ideas for cribs.
My advice would be to cut and sand them flush with the edge and also round over the top board sloping down to the edge. Take a belt or a piece of rope made into a complete circle and if it will catch anywhere on the rails , going up or down , then it is a strangulation hazard. I don't mean to down your craftsmanship, just want all babies to be safe.

Do a search for - baby crib regulations, homebult baby crib, I'm not that good with computers.
later Daniel