PDA

View Full Version : Draft Settings?????

Firedkm
09-24-2008, 03:35 PM
I have searched and look into the help topics for this and cannot find it.
In the toolbar is a setting for draft. It has none, Small, Medium and Large.
What is that for????

Dale

roughcut
09-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Dale
Open a new project make a carve region then choose the letter a put it in the carve area then choose different drafts you should see what draft does that . Don't be afraid to experiment with different options..

Kenm810
09-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Dale,

These are some photos I had of what the draft can do for Text and Patterns
It really helps prevent chip outs

Firedkm
09-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Got it and it makes sense to me now. I never looked that close to see what the draft would do. Thank you for the insight.

Dale

mtylerfl
09-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Got it and it makes sense to me now. I never looked that close to see what the draft would do. Thank you for the insight.

Dale

Dale,

The draft feature is one that I talked to Chris L at LHR about long ago. I told him that we needed a draft feature in Designer to reduce chip-out problems - on raised lettering carvings in particular. I explained to him that although I could create a draft on lettering in CorelDraw manually, then make that a pattern, then import it into Designer, most people would not have CorelDraw (or know how to use it) and it was far too many steps to "get the job done".

As a result of our conversation, he was convinced it would be a useful feature indeed, and said he thought it would be fairly easy to code it for the software. To my amazement and delight, it was just a couple weeks later that it was added to Designer.

The Help File has not been updated to reflect that feature (nor some of the newer features in the latest 1.131 release either) so we'll just have to wait a little while until the documentation catches up! LHR is working on this now.

Another feature that I had requested about a year ago, is the new "Make Pattern". Again, I had talked to Chris L about adding this feature and how beneficial (and fun!) it could be. To be honest, so much time had passed that I forgot all about my "Make Pattern" idea until I met with the LHR folks at the IWF Show in Atlanta last month. Chris was very excited to tell me that they had been able to add the "Make Pattern" from a group of your own patterns in the new release that I had suggested! We played with it for awhile on his laptop. It is a really cool feature that can be utilized very creatively. It's not documented yet in the Help File, but I'll be releasing a Tips & Tricks about the 1.131 very soon.

There's a "hidden feature" in 1.131 that no one that I know of has discovered yet, even though it's actually visible. Nope - I'm not gonna tell you what it is yet. This is a "teaser" so you'll be sure to watch for your next Tips & Tricks to find out what it is!;)

Dan-Woodman
09-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Michael
Someone sould do a line by line explanation of what each addtion means and does.
I for one read it and ,not knowing computer langwage, I haven't a clue what some of them mean.
I do like the new cut path features, and the new 1/16" bit feature. Are the feed rates different for the 1/8" cut path and the 1/16" .
I realize some of the new features are technical fixes etc.
But some of the easy ones uses computer like works I'm not familier with.
later Daniel

Ike
09-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Dale,

The draft feature is one that I talked to Chris L at LHR about long ago. I told him that we needed a draft feature in Designer to reduce chip-out problems - on raised lettering carvings in particular. I explained to him that although I could create a draft on lettering in CorelDraw manually, then make that a pattern, then import it into Designer, most people would not have CorelDraw (or know how to use it) and it was far too many steps to "get the job done".

As a result of our conversation, he was convinced it would be a useful feature indeed, and said he thought it would be fairly easy to code it for the software. To my amazement and delight, it was just a couple weeks later that it was added to Designer.

The Help File has not been updated to reflect that feature (nor some of the newer features in the latest 1.131 release either) so we'll just have to wait a little while until the documentation catches up! LHR is working on this now.

Another feature that I had requested about a year ago, is the new "Make Pattern". Again, I had talked to Chris L about adding this feature and how beneficial (and fun!) it could be. To be honest, so much time had passed that I forgot all about my "Make Pattern" idea until I met with the LHR folks at the IWF Show in Atlanta last month. Chris was very excited to tell me that they had been able to add the "Make Pattern" from a group of your own patterns in the new release that I had suggested! We played with it for awhile on his laptop. It is a really cool feature that can be utilized very creatively. It's not documented yet in the Help File, but I'll be releasing a Tips & Tricks about the 1.131 very soon.

There's a "hidden feature" in 1.131 that no one that I know of has discovered yet, even though it's actually visible. Nope - I'm not gonna tell you what it is yet. This is a "teaser" so you'll be sure to watch for your next Tips & Tricks to find out what it is!;)

So you are the person to blame!!! I use the draft all the time and really appreciate having it!!! Now I need to learn how to use the "Make pattern" feature. I noticed another member made a group pattern with one I shared. If it only works with your own patterns, how did this member use one of mine?

I don't care he used it, that is why I shared it to be used. I am just curious how he was able to do this? Is because it is a free pattern and I shared it in ptn format? Or just a fluke?

I can't wait for the tips and tricks to use it! I can only get as far as getting the function to activate!

Ike

Firedkm
09-25-2008, 04:58 AM
Mike.....Thank you for your explanation. I too have CorelDraw x3 and boy is that a learning curve!!!!!! I have read all the tips and tricks and really appriciate all the time effort you put into it.

Thanx Dale

mtylerfl
09-25-2008, 07:31 AM
So you are the person to blame!!! I use the draft all the time and really appreciate having it!!! Now I need to learn how to use the "Make pattern" feature. I noticed another member made a group pattern with one I shared. If it only works with your own patterns, how did this member use one of mine?

I don't care he used it, that is why I shared it to be used. I am just curious how he was able to do this? Is because it is a free pattern and I shared it in ptn format? Or just a fluke?

I can't wait for the tips and tricks to use it! I can only get as far as getting the function to activate!

Ike

Hello Ike,

You could ask him/her how they were able to use your pattern to know for sure, but unless you provided the pattern in the MPW format or a raw graphic, I don't see how they could have done that.

Do you recall which pattern it was, and/or have a link to it? I'll take a peek at it and see if I can do what you described.

mtylerfl
09-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Michael
Someone sould do a line by line explanation of what each addtion means and does.
I for one read it and ,not knowing computer langwage, I haven't a clue what some of them mean.
I do like the new cut path features, and the new 1/16" bit feature. Are the feed rates different for the 1/8" cut path and the 1/16" .
I realize some of the new features are technical fixes etc.
But some of the easy ones uses computer like works I'm not familier with.
later Daniel

Hello Daniel,

The Help File has sort of what you describe already (feature, then feature description).

I learned most of what I know from the Help File, and just plain-ol' hands-on trial and error!

I admit that the Help File needs improvement as it contains some feature descriptions that do not exist in current versions of Designer, and omit other newer features, but LHR is aware of that and is in the process of updating the file.

The Help File can also use some improvement in the index of search terms. For example, if you search for "cut path" you'll get a window that describes the Standard Functions and the only related description is for the "Cut" function (as in Copy/Paste/Cut) which is not what you were searching for at all.

However, if you perform a search using just the word "path", then a window appears with the complete description of the Cut Path function. Maybe that's what you were looking for and maybe not - perhaps you typed in the word "path" to learn how to edit a path, not the Cut Path function! So you can see why an update for search terms is needed. Just need to associate more "search words" with topics covered in the Help Contents. Again, this is being addressed as well.

As far as bit-feed rates, although I've not confirmed this, I am fairly confident that the 1/16" feed rate is indeed slower than it is for the 1/8". I do know that quite a lot of attention was paid to feed rate "intelligence" overall.

RMarkey
09-25-2008, 09:10 AM
As far as bit-feed rates, although I've not confirmed this, I am fairly confident that the 1/16" feed rate is indeed slower than it is for the 1/8". I do know that quite a lot of attention was paid to feed rate "intelligence" overall.

The 1/16" cutting bit feed rate is considerably faster than the 1/8" feed rate for cutting. Please do not select the 1/16" cutting bit until you are able to purchase them. Also, the cut depth for the bit is limited to 1/4".

mtylerfl
09-25-2008, 11:49 AM
The 1/16" cutting bit feed rate is considerably faster than the 1/8" feed rate for cutting. Please do not select the 1/16" cutting bit until you are able to purchase them. Also, the cut depth for the bit is limited to 1/4".

That seems to make sense - thinner diameter bit - higher RPM. I'll need to check that feed rate out when I get the appropriate bit. I think rjustice has the bits available now.

Of course, the depth is limited on thinner (more fragile) bits, thank you for pointing that out!

Ike
09-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Hello Ike,

You could ask him/her how they were able to use your pattern to know for sure, but unless you provided the pattern in the MPW format or a raw graphic, I don't see how they could have done that.

Do you recall which pattern it was, and/or have a link to it? I'll take a peek at it and see if I can do what you described.

I was just thinking about that it was the Jolly rancher I may have shared it in MPW before I knew how to share in ptn. Thanks again for all you do for us.

For those who don't any different the CW designer is soooo much easier to use then any other designer software for CNC control!

Ike

PS just check yep shared in mpc format like I said I was just curious I am glad they can be used in anyway !