PDA

View Full Version : Wow

sensei
09-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Just started my first project. I did all the maintenance before I ever fired it up. It is really cool. I was a little worried with all the threads about dead out of the box and all but it's moving right a long.

Thanks for all the help from people here. Very cool place.

Mike

Ok, can I get a 1/16 inch straight bit for this?

www.go3d.us
09-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi and welcome to the group.
I'm glad everything went well for you :)
Can wait to see your finished project.
HT

rjustice
09-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Just started my first project. I did all the maintenance before I ever fired it up. It is really cool. I was a little worried with all the threads about dead out of the box and all but it's moving right a long.

Thanks for all the help from people here. Very cool place.

Mike

Ok, can I get a 1/16 inch straight bit for this?

Mike,
Welcome to the Carving community!... It sounds like you are getting off to a good start.
I can help you out with a straight 1/16 bit. It will require a 1/8 bit adapter that i also make. Drop me an email at the address below, and i will send you info on the products i have for the machine....

Happy Carving!

Ron

sensei
09-23-2008, 09:04 PM
go3d, thanks for the encouragement. The project was just a test run but it went well. When I get the real one done I'll put it up.

Mike

sensei
09-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Ron, did you get my email about the bit? I have a question, when I go to enter a 1/16 bit the software will not accept it. Can I over ride it some how?

rjustice
09-24-2008, 09:05 PM
No, I didnt receive your email?... did you send it to my cw_parts@yahoo.com address?

If it is a flat bottom style bit, you simply lie to the machine for the offset amount to match half the tool diameter.
If you are wanting to carve with it you will use the carving bit as your tool, and it will carve the same, only not leaving the 5 degree tapered wall on your part (unless you add draft of course)

Hope this helps...

Ron

sensei
09-24-2008, 09:12 PM
I want to drill holes for a cribbage board, 1/8 is to big. Any othe ideas.

Thanks

Mike

Rocky
09-25-2008, 08:07 AM
I want to drill holes for a cribbage board, 1/8 is to big. Any othe ideas.

Thanks

Mike

Welcome to the forum.

I've been thinking of carving a cribbage board too, but when I drilled a few test holes they didn't come out perfectly round. They were sort of oblong. I haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. I'd be interested in hearing how you make out with your cribbage board.

Thanks,

oldjoe
09-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Not sure what size hole you are looking for but I have used a 1/4' diameter screwmachine length drill bit. Just told the machine it was a 1/8" diameter hole and it drilled them in just fine. Also have done the same with the 1/16" carving bit for a 1/16" diameter hole.

mtylerfl
09-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Not sure what size hole you are looking for but I have used a 1/4' diameter screwmachine length drill bit. Just told the machine it was a 1/8" diameter hole and it drilled them in just fine. Also have done the same with the 1/16" carving bit for a 1/16" diameter hole.

How did you use the 1/16" carving bit to drill a 1/16" diameter hole?? The taper would enlarge the hole as it travels deeper through the wood.:confused:

oldjoe
09-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Oops I forgot to say it wasn't a thru hole. I went only about 1/4" deep. Sorry if for the misinformation. I use the machice allot to lay out hole patterns then i take them over to the drill press and finish drilling the holes thru especially with odd size holes.

rjustice
09-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Guys,
I have several options for tool sizes that fit in my 1/8 bit adapters. The common ones i have in stock are 1/32, 3/64, 1/16, 5/64, 3/32, 1/8.
Let me know how deep you need to go, and i can offer std. reach or long reach. Just email me at the address below and i can help you out.

Thanks,

Ron

sensei
09-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I have done several test boards and the hole 1/8" and 1/4", deep all came out ok. I just think 1/8th is to big.

I'm having problems getting my lettering to come out clean. Any ideas?

Rocky I attached the board lay out I made feel free to use it. You might have to make a few adj. I'm still fine tuning it.

Mike

Rocky
09-26-2008, 04:10 AM
I have done several test boards and the hole 1/8" and 1/4", deep all came out ok. I just think 1/8th is to big.

I'm having problems getting my lettering to come out clean. Any ideas?

Rocky I attached the board lay out I made feel free to use it. You might have to make a few adj. I'm still fine tuning it.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. For your letters, are you using Centerline? By the way, there are a couple other Cribbage board MPC's posted on this forum if you're interested.

sensei
09-26-2008, 02:12 PM
I am not using centerline....should I be?

atauer
09-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Sensei,

The choice to use centerline is up to you. After looking over your file, i noticed that you are selecting outline. What bit do you have applied? I would reccommend using centerline, but you do not have to. Simply play with different bits and depth settings on the outline and you should be able to get something worked out.

sensei
09-26-2008, 02:54 PM
What do I gain by using centerline? I just looked at it, does it just optimize font that is already on the computer? If I down load it does it automatically apply it when you use font?

Rocky
09-26-2008, 03:08 PM
What do I gain by using centerline? I just looked at it, does it just optimize font that is already on the computer? If I down load it does it automatically apply it when you use font?

If you have Centerline, you still have the option not to use it. Centerline is already part of Designer, but it will cost you an additional $100 to activate it. I found it to be worth the extra money. Atauer provided some good tips in his response.

Dan-Woodman
09-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Centerline with a 90 deg. V- bit follows a single line in the center of the font.
If your using a fancy font like old english, it will do it in several pases and even squares up the corners exactly like you see it in designer. It is fasinating to watch it cut.
Don't be alarmed to see it cut one letter or a partial and move to another letter then come back, this is normal and it will finish all evenually.
You can also use it for very small lettering with a 60 deg. bit. even 1/2 high.
later Daniel

Kenm810
09-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Centerline Text seems to make Plaques and Signs
look a little more professional, and carves faster. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

sewpeck
09-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Sensei, I took the liberty of changing your text to centerline with a 60 degree bit. Here is what it would look like with that change.

sensei
09-29-2008, 05:06 PM
sewpeck I did not see an attached file.