PDA

View Full Version : ? on Lub

sensei
09-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Can I use either Schaeffers Roller Chain Lub with MOLY or Schaeffers Dry Plate Lub with MOLY to lub the Flexshaft?

I can't find Liquid Wrench or Gunk in my town.

Mike

sensei
09-23-2008, 02:13 PM
No help on this one?

Amonaug
09-23-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm using a chain saw lube with mine and it works great, so I would guess that what you have may work too.

sensei
09-23-2008, 02:30 PM
You use bar oil? Well I guess that has to hold up to some high temps. Not sure it would penetrate well enough.

Firedkm
09-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Try this.....http://www.gunk.com/CAT_L716.asp...I could not find the stuff locally either. So I bought it on line.

Dale

cnsranch
09-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Search "Crane Cams" - it is the bomb..

sensei
09-23-2008, 04:30 PM
I just picked up the Schaeffers. It's thick and I think it is going to work well. I'll keep you updated.

Mike

Amonaug
09-23-2008, 06:45 PM
You use bar oil? Well I guess that has to hold up to some high temps. Not sure it would penetrate well enough.

No, I use
http://justicebrothers.com/pages/pro..._specialty.htm

the Heavy Duty Chain Lube (further down the page) and it works very well. It doesn't drip and sticks to the flex shaft. Since I put it on I barely feel the flex shaft even warm up at all.

The can says
Lubricates all types of chains
Reduces friction and wear
Good for "O" ring chains
Does not fly off
Recommended for use on roller bearing chains
Anti-static formula, does not collect dust or dirt
Sets up quickly to a protective coating
Protects against rust and corrosion
Contains JB metal conditioner
Does not cake or gum
Special formula allows for deep penetration

Jvicaretti
09-23-2008, 08:02 PM
I went to Tractor Supply yesterday for horse food and decided to just look to see what kind of lubricants they had that would work for the flex shaft. They had the liquid wrench with moly chain lube. I bought 2 cans just to make sure I had enough to last awhile.

sensei
09-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Schaeffer’s worked great. The shaft ran warm but not even close to hot on a 1/2 hour project. I got it at NAPA in town. It is a product they stock.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Mike

fwharris
09-23-2008, 09:09 PM

I'm with cnsranch! Doesn't run, you can put it on the shaft and start carving right away. No waiting!

JVallario
09-24-2008, 10:06 AM

After 4.5 hour carves with Crane Cam lube with Moly my flex shaft never got more than slightly warm - like just above room temp. IMO thats the way to go.