PDA

View Full Version : Need help to do two sided carving

joesow
09-23-2008, 01:31 AM
I want to find out how to program the CW to make a two sided carving. I want to make a fish. I bought a pattern from CW for a Sunfish and was wondering if I could use it to make a two sided fish. I guess I haven't figured out how to design this fish in two sides. Any suggestions?

Joesow

Oliver Lande
09-23-2008, 06:37 AM
Try making 2 carvings on separate boards, one a flip of the other, then glue and cleanup.

Haven't tried it, but I would think that would work

Digitalwoodshop
09-23-2008, 09:11 AM
My alignment trick making my 2 sided signs is to center the artwork and select the drill function and place a drill through hole at the center point .125. Since you roll the board to flip it the artwork will be up side down on the screen for the back.

For a fish I would place a drilled hole at the tip of the snout and at the tip of the tail. Make the adjustments in depth being careful to NOT cut all the way through both sides.

Then erase the drill holes and you are good to go.... Use View and View Rear of board to flip the board.

Good Luck,

AL

cnsranch
09-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Try this -

Make sure your pattern is locked in place (either centered horiz/vert, or snapped to grid), I assume you'll do a cut path around it that will result in tabs being placed around the pattern, copy all, flip the board, paste it, rotate it, you're good to go.

Take care to check all measurements, distances from edge, center, etc. on both sides.

Jeff_Birt
09-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Look at the top of this page: http://allcw.com/Projects.html, this is a free tutorial and project I did quite a while ago that explains how to do a two sided project.

mtylerfl
09-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Look at the top of this page: http://allcw.com/Projects.html, this is a free tutorial and project I did quite a while ago that explains how to do a two sided project.

Hi Jeff,

Which Tutorial is it (title)?

Also, the Tips & Tricks Issue #8, "How & Why To Make Manual Cut Paths" actually shows a fish example for a two-sided carve.

Another thing, CarveWright tells me that the more recent versions of Designer automatically "know" the maximum depth of a carving on the backside of a two-sided board project. What that means is, you most likely do not need to create a manual cut path on the front side of the board anymore for a two-sided cutout like a fish.

According to my information, align your fish on front and back of the board as normal (using AL's tip is a great way to do this, or just center each to the center of the board front and back, then flip either pattern to make sure the orientation is correct).

Then, on the front of the board, just select the pattern, click the Outline Tool, then click the Cut Path Tool.

As long as there is at least 1/8" of material between the front and back "sandwich" around the edges of your carving, the cut path will leave the safety tabs and you do not have to hassle with making a manual outline.

NOTE: I have not tried this yet, but CarveWright assured me that it will work. Next time I create a two-sided project, I am going to use that method for sure.

Jeff_Birt
09-23-2008, 01:17 PM

It's the apple box tutorial located at the very top of the page.

Amonaug
09-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi Jeff,

Also, the Tips & Tricks Issue #8, "How & Why To Make Manual Cut Paths" actually shows a fish example for a two-sided carve.

Another thing, CarveWright tells me that the more recent versions of Designer automatically "know" the maximum depth of a carving on the backside of a two-sided board project. What that means is, you most likely do not need to create a manual cut path on the front side of the board anymore for a two-sided cutout like a fish.

According to my information, align your fish on front and back of the board as normal (using AL's tip is a great way to do this, or just center each to the center of the board front and back, then flip either pattern to make sure the orientation is correct).

Then, on the front of the board, just select the pattern, click the Outline Tool, then click the Cut Path Tool.

As long as there is at least 1/8" of material between the front and back "sandwich" around the edges of your carving, the cut path will leave the safety tabs and you do not have to hassle with making a manual outline.

NOTE: I have not tried this yet, but CarveWright assured me that it will work. Next time I create a two-sided project, I am going to use that method for sure.

It works and I've tried it and posted in one of the threads some time ago. I've carved a tray with the backside having a carved region where the cut path would be and the program compensated the depth of the tab.

mtylerfl
09-23-2008, 02:53 PM
It works and I've tried it and posted in one of the threads some time ago. I've carved a tray with the backside having a carved region where the cut path would be and the program compensated the depth of the tab.

Hi Kevin,

I do recall that you tried it, now that you mention it! Thanks for the confirmation!