PDA

View Full Version : Care and Maintenance of the QC

Amonaug
09-22-2008, 05:31 PM
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/Care_and_maintenance_of_the_QC.pdf

Lots of people seem to have a problem with this and I just noticed there was a .pdf on the subject complete with an internal view of the QC.

Kenm810
09-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Kevin,

Nice find, I haven't seen that .pdf before,
Thanks for posting it for all of us.

Jeff_Birt
09-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Wow, that is indeed a great document and long overdue. I saw they recommend using wd-40 to clean out the QC and just knew that someone would chime in with "wd-40 contains silicone and will ruin your wood, and make you bald, and you won't be able to have children." (OK, so I threw in the last two :).)

Anyhow, I have also heard the "WD-40 contains silicone" for years now and decided to try and find out. I first looked at the MSDS sheet and saw no mention of it, so I 'Searched' (you know you guys wouldn't know what to do if I failed to mention 'Search' at least once per post :p )their website and found this: http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

What does WD-40 contain?

While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

Oliver Lande
09-22-2008, 07:01 PM
I was always told that the lubricant in WD40 was Shark Oil. I have seen here that it contains silicone, but that one was new to me. Its enough for me to know that WD40 seems to ATTRACT dust and dirt. I use 4 lubricants on my machine: Spray that contains Molebdenum (sp?), White Lithium (on threads), Bike Chain oil, and just a drop of 3 in 1 on the bits when I install them.

liquidguitars
09-22-2008, 07:34 PM
I keep WD40 away from the CW but for cleaning bit adapters.. :)

Shark fin soup is bad for sharks and you.

LG

brady.schwyhart
09-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Don't know if anyone's posted this yet, but heres a cleaning tip for the QC that I use. In between bit changes on a project I hold the QC up and let it go several times without a bit being in there and at the end of the project I hold the QC open and shoot compressed air into it to clear out all the powder fine sawdust.

Digitalwoodshop
09-23-2008, 09:24 AM
That was a GREAT file of FACTS.... I don't necessarily agree with WD-40 and will stick with 3 in 1 oil. The Opinion stated here is that of the author and does not represent the views of....... But the QC Sheet was GOOD.....

AL

Jeff_Birt
09-23-2008, 10:11 AM
If you guys read closely they recommend WD-40 as cleaning agent only, they then tell you to use 3-in-1 for proper lubrication.

WD-40 works good for cleaning and freeing lightly oxidized parts. It's also something that anyone can get their hands on easily. As a lubricant I have found that the effects are not long lived and constantly applying it just makes a mess (and attracts dirt/sawdust). Using it to clean and free something up and then applying a better lubricant would work well though.

Major_A
09-23-2008, 11:28 AM
It's my understanding that WD-40 is fish oil based.

Jeff_Birt
09-23-2008, 01:19 PM
It's my understanding that WD-40 is fish oil based.

Take a look at the MSDS. I'm not a chemist, but all that stuff looks like petrochemicals to me.

cnsranch
09-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Here in Kansas we fish at the Wolf Creek Nuclear Power Plant - they won't let us keep any fish - wonder what they're made of?

Kenm810
09-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Are talking about those small fish that glow in the dark and have three eyes!!!