PDA

View Full Version : Routering Depth

cseidler
09-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Are there standard depths (per pass) for various bits (90V, 60V, etc)?
Thank you in advance.

cnsranch
09-22-2008, 10:30 AM
All depths are set by you in designer, with the exception of 90 and 60 when using centerline. The depth is auto set by the size of the font.

cseidler
09-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Thought maybe there was an option for text as well. Thanks.

luckettg
09-25-2008, 09:48 PM
All depths are set by you in designer, with the exception of 90 and 60 when using centerline. The depth is auto set by the size of the font.
When I look through the font list at all the fonts, I am unable to tell much as to the effect on depth. I am using Centerline mostly, and have been experimenting but I do not like the hit or miss that is happening. Some fonts come out fine while others do not. Is there a way to tell more about how a given font will affect the carving?

mtylerfl
09-25-2008, 09:58 PM
When I look through the font list at all the fonts, I am unable to tell much as to the effect on depth. I am using Centerline mostly, and have been experimenting but I do not like the hit or miss that is happening. Some fonts come out fine while others do not. Is there a way to tell more about how a given font will affect the carving?

Hi Greg,

You should be getting fairly reliable visual feedback when you place a font on your Designer board. Actually, it should be very, very close to what the actual carve outcome will be.

Are you running into "not-so-reliable" visuals as it relates to an actual carve?

If so, could you give us one or two examples of a font(s) that does not match the on-screen visual compared to photos of projects you did that this was the case?

Might be helpful to others as well as LHR development if we could actually see what you're experiencing.

luckettg
09-25-2008, 10:22 PM
I wish I had kept track of the font vs actual carvings, but I have not. I may still have some of the carvings themselves...probably do, but w/o knowing which font I actually used, it is not going to help. From now on I will do that. I did quit using the 60V and use only the 90V now, which has helped on all the fonts I have been playing with.
Thanks.:)

MikeMcCoy
09-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Greg,

I took some time one day and carved a setup board with my most used fonts. That thing hangs on the wall along with my other jigs so even though Designer gives a good representation of the fonts, my "jig" makes for a ready reference.

Dan-Woodman
09-26-2008, 05:30 PM
How tall a font is in designer will also make a differance. Don't use the 60 deg. bit for large fonts 'cause it will be too deep. Use 60 for small ( lets say below 1" ) and 90 for the larger ones. Might be helpful for the newbees. Just experiment and have fun.
later Daniel

mtylerfl
09-26-2008, 08:29 PM
I wish I had kept track of the font vs actual carvings, but I have not. I may still have some of the carvings themselves...probably do, but w/o knowing which font I actually used, it is not going to help. From now on I will do that. I did quit using the 60V and use only the 90V now, which has helped on all the fonts I have been playing with.
Thanks.:)

Hi Greg,

Just re-open your MPC files of the "offending" projects and click on Text/Edit - that will show you which font(s) you used.

You can post the MPC's (or post screenshots of the MPC's if they have commercial patterns on them) along with the font-name info. Then take a photo of the actual carves and post the photos too so we can compare the two and determine if there is an actual problem or if a possible "pilot error" was involved.