PDA

View Full Version : New QC won't **** itself and red lines won't line up

joesow
09-20-2008, 01:15 AM
I received the QC replacement from CW today. I cannot get the QC to **** itself when I push it up to mount a bit. And, the the red lines won't line up. I can't twist the outer shell to match the lines up. The red lines are about 1/8" off alignment. It is a hassle to get the bit adapter in place.

I'm wondering if this replacement QC is defective also? Anybody else had this experience?

bjbethke
09-20-2008, 04:41 AM
The red lines line up only when the bit adapter is fully installed and locked in place. You need to push up fully on the QC to install the bit adapter. The set screws in adapter may not be installed correctly.

Kenm810
09-20-2008, 08:09 AM
joesow,

Take a look at this Thread of Posts and Photos,
I'm sure it should help.

Cocking the QC (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8215&highlight=QC+Chuck)

Jeff_Birt
09-20-2008, 09:20 AM
You really need to lubricate the chuck properly for it to work really well. You need to get some oil between the inner and outer sections. As well as wipe the inside of the chuck (and each adapter) with a drop of 3-in-1 oil at the start of each carving session. When the chuck is in the cocked position the outer section is not all the way up (as I thought it would be)but if you push an bit/adapter up into it it will snap right down on it.

I've had a machine for almost two years and until recently, after properly lubricating between the two sections of the chuck, I was never able to get the chuck to actually ****. Lubricating it properly, especially with a new chuck is vital. New machine tool parts (like the chuck) are often lubricated at the factory with a much thicker lubricant then you would use in service. This protects the parts from oxidation during shipment. This is why you need to lubricate the chuck properly with 3-in-1 oil before installing it.

SandBuoy
09-20-2008, 09:40 AM
I had troubles with the chuck taking the adapters for a long time also. One day after talking to FWHarris it finally sunk in that I was lubricating the chuck right, just wasn't lubing the adapter. I think the most crutical thing you can do to make the chuck work easier is put a few drops of 3-1 on the adapter. After I started doing this the adapters popped in and out so much easier. You still need to clean the and lube the chuck, but the oiled adapter makes all the difference in the world.

henry1
09-27-2008, 07:36 AM
This my 3 rd QC and I still notice the QC being lose some is this normal I mean the bit fits in ok but were it slides up and down that square block it sits in the corners you can see movement when you hold on the bit and it move a bit is this normal or you should have no play whats so ever ,,I oil it good and clean
Henry:confused:

rjustice
09-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Hi Henry,
The bit should be locked into the taper, and have no play whatsoever. The outer shell might be able to be moved very slightly.

Ron

rlane10347
09-27-2008, 08:29 AM
I have put in my second QC unit and after about 9 hours of carving I am seeing signs of abnormal wear that concerns me. I have oiled and cleaned after each use, made sure lines were lined up, put a wernch on the flats and twisted collar to make sure tight, and still see signs of wear after a short time. I am a design engineer for over 35 years and have done allot work on wear parts. I am attaching a picture of the tool holder after 9 hours carving. The black oxide is worn thru showing movement and the balls are denting the holder. I never used the extractor tool to remove the bit. Also the ball seat has manufacturing groves in it. Again I say that a taper lock with ball detents should be hardened and ground to get the fit to hold a tool with this pressure.
I feel that those who have had good luck with their tool holder are using proper cleaning and oiling but also happen to be lucky enough to have a QC and tool holder that match. We need better manufacturing and quality control of the QC unit and holders,