PDA

View Full Version : Designer 1.131

Kenm810
09-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Designer 1.131,

To be released on Monday, September 22
Watch for it.

In todays Email,
With the release of 1.131, on Monday, September 22, users will have the ability to control the depth of cuts. If you have a 1" board and want the machine to make a pass every 0.1" you now have the control. With the new cutting option, we are also giving you the control of how many tabs the machine will create when the Cut Path option is selected. Along with this, you will also have the ability to create an inset on your Cut Path. This is similar to the Inset option when carving a region using the Drawing Tools. For those that like the one pass cut, you will still have this ability with the new software release.

Some users have asked for the ability to "Hide" your patterns in your project. You asked and we have answered. If you are laying out a project and would like to hide a particular element, you now have the ability to do so. When laying out a large project with many elements, a board can start to get clustered. Now if you need to look at particular element on your virtual board, you can Hide other elements.

We're not done yet; with 1.131 you can also combine different patterns to create a single pattern. You can use the basic patterns or your own unique patterns to do this. Place two or more patterns on your virtual board, arrange them as you like, group all the patterns, select the new group item from the “Carving List”, and choose Make Pattern in the Tools menu. The new pattern will then save to your pattern library favorites.
CLICK HELP/CHECK FOR UPDATES MONDAY!

MikeMcCoy
09-19-2008, 02:59 PM
I just got their announcement in the latest newsletter. It looks like Ike didn't shut everything down.

AWoodsmith
09-19-2008, 03:50 PM
I am still getting use to the machine and the last update. I will wait until it is out for a bit before I mess with it. I am still a rookie at this...:)

Amonaug
09-19-2008, 04:33 PM
This looks like a fantastic update! Lots of things we've asked for.

gashawk
09-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Hope I can make one ptn out of several scans that stoped on me. This is an old bookend, you can see were theres a couple old screw holes and were I used JB weld. The depth of carve never seems to be the same in my scans. Is it determined by the height?

Ike
09-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Karl, looked at your mpc, try setting your height to 999 and the draft to medium or large. It will raise the height and broaden the thinner lines.

Ike

Rocky
09-20-2008, 04:40 AM
I just got their announcement in the latest newsletter. It looks like Ike didn't shut everything down.

I bought my CW in June of this year and signed up for the newsletter, but I have never received any.

mtylerfl
09-20-2008, 06:59 AM
I bought my CW in June of this year and signed up for the newsletter, but I have never received any.

Hi Rocky,

That's not normal, you should have started receiving the newsletters automatically, immediately after you signed up - be sure to let LHR know this. You might want to sign up for the Mailing List again on their homepage.

http://www.carvewright.com/

RanUtah
09-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Ken, I'm currently using 1.126, if i upgrade to this newest version, will my older projects and patterns still work?

mtylerfl
09-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Ken, I'm currently using 1.126, if i upgrade to this newest version, will my older projects and patterns still work?

Yes, they will still work.

NOTE: If you created your own patterns using Designer versions prior to 1.123, you will not be able to edit those patterns unless you also saved them as an MPW file. In that case, you would open the MPW's and re-save them as PTN's in any version 1.123 (or above) on the same computer your most recent version of Designer is installed on.

jj8950
09-22-2008, 02:39 PM
been to CarveWright and still no release om 1.131

badger
09-22-2008, 07:29 PM
I would imagine they might be delayed because of the damage they are dealing with down there. I for one wouldnt mind waiting knowing that they are making sure it is a working patch before they post it.

Kenm810
09-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Version 1.131

### (IV) Release Notes ############################
05 Sep 2008 -- Differences between versions 1.131 and 1.130
* Added ability to combine grouped patterns into a new saved pattern
* Added ability to use designed board depth instead of measured depth for
boards that are thicker than designed--enables cuts of thinner stock
* Added ability to hide carvings in Designer, hidden carvings are not cut
* Added ability to control tabs on cutouts
* Added max pass depth option for all cut and vector operations
* Added support for 1/16" cutting bit (Coming Soon!)
* Improved outline patterns tool to work with carved regions
* Improved to allow board reload when board measurements fail
on double-sided board
* Improved cutout ordering to prevent problems with nested cutouts
* Improved zero-skipping algorithm
* Fixed Help->Sample Projects for Mac, and improved user interface
* Fixed problem with cut-throughs over board tracking sensor
* Fixed bug where text sometimes did not change mode properly
* Fixed bug preventing resize of zero radius circles

They offer it as a Patch or the full version
I down loaded it -- save it to a file then ran it

Kenm810
09-22-2008, 08:05 PM
New Cut-out Control

Nighthawk12
09-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Please Post Link for 1.131 Download.

badger
09-22-2008, 08:17 PM
You can access it from your designer program by checking updates

Amonaug
09-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Please Post Link for 1.131 Download.

Go to the CW main site (http://www.carvewright.com)
Support
Software Registration

After signing in select Check for Software updates in the upper left

Just a note, for the "Make pattern" you must own all patterns involved, IOW you must have created the patterns. Select the patterns, group them then select the group in the carving list (not the patterns) then the "Make Pattern" button lights up.

I haven't tried to carve with it yet (probably try tomorrow) but from the features I've seen this update definitely gets a thumbs up!

Nighthawk12
09-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks Got It Downloaded Looks Great

mtylerfl
09-22-2008, 09:17 PM
I've been working on a Tips & Tricks about the new 1.131 over the last few days, and trying to incorporate QC Care into a Tips issue. However, we've had the new QC Care pdf posted for download in the Learning Center at the CarveBuddy website for awhile that kind of "says it all" already, so not sure if I'll need to worry about that part of it.

Running a just little behind since the finished version of the 1.131 was delayed and had to wait to see what features actually made it into the final release - looks like they all did. Glad to see it is available now!

jj8950
09-23-2008, 10:06 AM
downloaded the new release, havent put it to the test but it looks great

fwharris
09-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Carved a project today with 1.131, set the cut out to have 4 tabs with 3/16" height and a 0.250 depth on each pass. All went very well.

I would say this latest upgrade is a go for sure.

Now I need to go change my "signature" for the forum!

Amonaug
09-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Yeah I would say this is one of the best updates so far.

Just found out you can combine carve regions with patterns you made into a new pattern using the "Make Pattern" button!

Ike
09-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Yeah I would say this is one of the best updates so far.

Just found out you can combine carve regions with patterns you made into a new pattern using the "Make Pattern" button!

Kevin, is that patterns made from the probe or it's software? I tried it with some of the patterns I made from clipart patterns and nothing!

Ike

liquidguitars
09-24-2008, 12:36 AM
New patterns work the best.. old patterns pre 1.123 will not work with the merging, so delete any older patterns and inport with 1.131 if you can.

LG

TerryT
09-24-2008, 07:18 AM
This new version sure looks good! I have been playing with the make pattern feature and it is great! I can't wait till the weekend to test the carving and cutting on a couple of new projects.

Amonaug
09-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Kevin, is that patterns made from the probe or it's software? I tried it with some of the patterns I made from clipart patterns and nothing!

Ike

It was a pattern I made from a .png file with a simple oval carve region. You must group the items together then select the group in the carving list, the items can't be selected just the group name. Then the "Make Pattern" button should be active.

mtylerfl
09-24-2008, 11:42 AM

Ike

You can use the "Make Pattern" function with any patterns you create, with this caveat... any "older" patterns you made prior to version 1.123 must be re-imported as MPW files, then resaved as PTN's in any version after 1.123 before they will be recognized as "your own".

Then just drag your ptn's onto the board, arrange them as you wish, group them, then use the Make Pattern function to create your new pattern based on the group arrangement.

Audie
09-24-2008, 11:53 AM
This was a pattern I made from a .png file with a simple oval carve region. You must group the items together then select the group in the carving list, the items can't be selected just the group name. Then the "Make Pattern" button should be active.

Ummm...I do believe you forgot to attach the file so we can see the pattern you are referring to.

<grinning>

atauer
09-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Audie,

I was wondering the same thing. I was looking and didn't see any file anywhere. Maybe he will post it...

<:)

Amonaug
09-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Ummm...I do believe you forgot to attach the file so we can see the pattern you are referring to.

<grinning>

I was just answering Ike's question not really posting a pattern :)

Sorry for the confusion. I corrected my post so it's less confusing :)

Especially since posting the pattern really wouldn't help as I'm the author and you can only use pattern you have created with the "Make Pattern". And I don't have an .mpw for it although I could easily make one from the .png

bjbethke
09-24-2008, 04:41 PM
I run two computer desktop units with one monitor/switched between both since I had problems with the 1.130 update, I updated the 1.130 unit to 1.131 and still run 1.126 on the other unit. I find the MPC made with the 1.131 system will not work with the 1.126 system. I like the Group PTN feature in the 1.131, and I think that is why it will not work with older updates.

Photos of the PTN’s I tested with;

Photo 3, You need to remove Non-Pattern objects to make Group PTN's

dominulus
09-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Hats off to the software engineers who responded so quickly to our requests!

fwharris
09-25-2008, 01:26 AM
I really like the new cut path feature with this upgrade. I carved a couple of trout and a crappie today (double sided carves) with the new cut path and it worked slicker than snot on a tin roof.

My prior carves I used a manual cut paths and even though they came out good there is no comparison to the new way. I set it for 4 tabs @ 3/16" height and had it do each pass at .250 depth. It took 3 passes. Because of the double sided carve I think could have done it in 2 passes.

Slow feed rate, just under an hour to do the 3 cut outs, but they were nice and clean.

Thanks LHR!!

Lloyd
09-25-2008, 09:11 AM
I just tried to use the new cut path and I think I have done something wrong.
I set the max. cut path to .375 thinking it would take 2 passes to complete the cut. When I tried to run it the machine said board to thick to cut. is this where I am supposed to enter the depth of each pass.

cnsranch
09-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey RedNeck er, RingNeck...

When you do a two sided carve, and you want to apply a cut path, do you only apply that cut path on one side? In other words, do you do your copying and pasting for the second side, go back to the first, then apply a cut path? Seems to me that if you have the cut path on both sides, the tabs won't line up.

atauer
09-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Lloyd,

Could you perhaps post your MPC file please? I would like to look over it to see exactly what is occurring, that way i have more information to give our engineers.

fwharris
09-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I just tried to use the new cut path and I think I have done something wrong.
I set the max. cut path to .375 thinking it would take 2 passes to complete the cut. When I tried to run it the machine said board to thick to cut. is this where I am supposed to enter the depth of each pass.

Lloyd,

I also had the "board to thick" msg on my project. I just said "ignor" or what ever it was and continued the carve.

Another thing I noticed was on the back side carve the machine did do a thickness check with the 1/16" bit prior to the carve. Think Michael did mention something about this in one of his notes.

fwharris
09-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Hey RedNeck er, RingNeck...

When you do a two sided carve, and you want to apply a cut path, do you only apply that cut path on one side? In other words, do you do your copying and pasting for the second side, go back to the first, then apply a cut path? Seems to me that if you have the cut path on both sides, the tabs won't line up.

cnsranch,

HAHAHA,,,

You only do the cut path on the front side of the project. I think the software will not let you do a cut path on a back side of a 2 sided carve. Could be wrong on this.

What I do is set up the front side patterns and cut paths then copy the patterns to the back side, flip them horiz. and then line the patterns up using the index number from the front side to line up on the back side.

liquidguitars
09-25-2008, 11:26 AM
I also had the "board to thick" msg on my project.

Guesing that your project board in Designer is set to 1" thick or under ?
i get this in Designer if my project size is over 1" and i select "cut path"

LG

fwharris
09-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Guesing that your project board in Designer is set to 1" thick or under ?
i get this in Designer if my project size is over 1" and i select "cut path"

LG

LG,

No my board in designer was set at 0.750.

I did do a carve (single side) the day before with 1.131 and during the start up checks with the 1/8" bit it asked me to input the board thickness.

Lloyd
09-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I tried the carve I was working on and it apparently ignores the board to thick message, it made two cuts just as I was hopeing it would. Guess I will keep using it.

Tom75
09-28-2008, 05:22 PM
i am running 1.25 and going to up grade to the new verision . if i under stand correctly i still will be able to use the patterns i have purchest over the past year ? also is it posable to run 1.25 and 1.31 on the same computer

Amonaug
09-28-2008, 06:38 PM
i am running 1.25 and going to up grade to the new verision . if i under stand correctly i still will be able to use the patterns i have purchest over the past year ? also is it posable to run 1.25 and 1.31 on the same computer

Yes the patterns should still work.

To use both on the same computer download the full version of 1.31 and install it into a different folder than you have for 1.25. It should work.