PDA

View Full Version : MSVCR80.dll

gb_mac@yahoo.com
09-17-2008, 03:47 PM
After installing the new version (1.130), when I go to run it, I get the following error message:

'This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.'
Re-installation didn't work. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?

Jeff_Birt
09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
What version of Windows? Have you installed any other software recently?

gb_mac@yahoo.com
09-17-2008, 04:47 PM
What version of Windows? Have you installed any other software recently?
Windows XP Pro. I had to reformat my computer a few months back because of a bad virus It is since that time that I get the message. (Hadn't tried to update prior to that.)

Jeff_Birt
09-17-2008, 05:10 PM
So you have not had any version of Designer installed since you recovered from the computer virus? When you say your 'reformatted' I take it that you formatted you HD and installed XP from scratch? Have you upgraded it to SP2?

Also, have you installed/uninstalled any other software recently? I'm asking as the file it it complaining about is part of the Visual C runtime. Some programs do a really bad job of uninstalling themselves and can actually remove vital files such as this.

gb_mac@yahoo.com
09-17-2008, 06:39 PM
I have SP3. I had a local PC store reformat and reinstall Windows (May 2008). I then reinstalled a lot of the software I use, including the original Project Designer I received with the machine (May 2007), upgrading that to 1.126 (which has been working).

I first tried upgrading to 1.130 late in May and that's when I received the .dll message. I really haven't installed/uninstalled much of anything since then.

bobi
09-20-2008, 10:20 AM
I have SP3. I had a local PC store reformat and reinstall Windows (May 2008). I then reinstalled a lot of the software I use, including the original Project Designer I received with the machine (May 2007), upgrading that to 1.126 (which has been working).

I first tried upgrading to 1.130 late in May and that's when I received the .dll message. I really haven't installed/uninstalled much of anything since then.

Have you installed\updated your system to .NET version 2.0 yet? Microsoft link below

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

gb_mac@yahoo.com
09-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks. I updated the .NET; however, it didn't make any difference. Still got the .dll error.

Finally went ahead and bit the bullet--removed the old version of Project Designer, ran the 1.130 program, and, lo and behold, the new version now runs!!