PDA

View Full Version : Cut Motor Not Working

steaks38
09-17-2008, 02:45 PM
I am at a lost. The machine will go through its process of preforming a project but when it start to cut, the bit is not turning at all. I did the performance test by going to 0 then 7 then to the cut motor section, and when I turn the bit the number on the display turns to 1,2,3, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jeff_Birt
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Does the cut motor turn on? It is very loud so you can't miss it.

steaks38
09-17-2008, 03:36 PM
No, the cut motor does not even turn on.

Jeff_Birt
09-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Well there's your problem :)

There are two switches that the clear cover hits when you close it. One is towards the front (keypad side) and the other towards the rear. The front switch tells the machine that the cover is open and the back switch interrupts the power to the cut motor. Your back switch may not be getting actuated properly or there could be a loose wire.

If your handy with a volt meter is is not hard to check, be warned it is 115V so you could get shocked. You can also call CarveWright tech support and talk to a technician, they can talk you through it. Please note that the last I heard their phones were still down due to hurricane Ike, so you may not be able to get through right away.

steaks38
09-17-2008, 04:48 PM
I get the note on the screen to close the hatch eventhough the hatch is closed. After pushing a little on the cover, the screen says to press enter to continue. Then the machine continues the measuring. Wouldn't the machine not work at all, if the cover is open?

Thank you for your help. I will try the volt meter.

Ike
09-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Steaks38, have you recently replaced a cover switch or removed the top for any reason? I am asking because I pinched the motor wire when I replaced a cover switch and ended up breaking the wire.

I had to replace the bullet connectors so if one of those wires are broken no power. Does the machine still try to carve even though the motor is not running? If so check those wires and the switch opposite from the keyboard.

Ike

steaks38
09-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Yes, it did try to carve eventhough the motor was not working.

Thank you, I will look at the wires.

Ike
09-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Problem solved you need to replace the switch closest to the keyboard. First try to see if the switch is loose or dirty. Try blowing it out and also follow the wires to the circuit board and see if the plug is loose.

When you clean you need to be careful while vacuuming not to hit that plug or any wires. If everything looks ok and still doesn't work you will need to call LHR and get a new cover switch.

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
09-17-2008, 07:39 PM
I would check the 2 wire connections on top of the motor. I bet one came loose. Here is a picture.

Jeff and Ike are also right, it could be the right switch....

If you ever remove the top cover make sure you push the motor wires to the back corner or the Z Motor will hit the wires and prevent the Bit Plate from coming out all the way.

AL

steaks38
09-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Thank you guys very much. One of the white wire connections was disconnected. I reattached it and I am know watching it do magic. Not only did you guys help me fix the problem, but you also help me learn more about the machine