PDA

View Full Version : HELP with activating SW

PlateCarver
09-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Any help or ideas are appreciated. I just purchased the "package" from Amazon and WOW. I have made several projects right out of the box and so far extremely happy BUT....

I called support a week ago last weekend with no resolution as they were going to get back to me. The problem I have is that I can not activate the software on one of my systems. Here are the details:
2- computers...1st system (laptop) XP which installed and is working...also all software is registered on this system.

2nd system is a dual core windows vista machine. The software (basic)installed without problems but will not activate. I worked with support and was sent the license file to activate locally. It says thank you for registering but when the I reopen the program it goes back to the demo screen. We tried manually entering the license number as well. Nothing works. I have also un-installed and re-installed. I also bought the probe and loaded that software thinking it may correct the issue. Nope... but it did work and register on the XP.

When I try to activate by putting in my user name and PW I get an error message that its invalid and to call support. HELP...

Jeff_Birt
09-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Welcomed to the forum...

The CarveWright company is located in the Houston Texas area, which as you know, was just hit by hurricane Ike. I would not expect a call back from them this this week.

I have Designer installed on both XP and Vista and have not experienced problems on either. Is the account you are installing/activating from an admin account (or have you done runas admin)? This is needed for activation as well as registry keys need to be changed.

PlateCarver
09-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks.. I just came back from Dallas last friday ahead of the storm myself. It was because of this forum that I decided to make the purchase and so far I'm very glad I did. I initially installed and registered with my vista unit and it never accepted the registration. I have tried all of the options with the help of support. From entering through name and password... to getting the number from support for the "phone" field to downloading the lic file and doing it that way. I get the message that an invalid lic was assigned by the registration server call support.

I had no problem on my XP laptop and am using that now but all of my graphics programs are on the Vista....

Jeff_Birt
09-16-2008, 09:54 PM
But...are you trying all of this logged in as an administrator?

CABINET MAN
09-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi:
Not Sure Your Problem Is The Same As Mine But Here Is What Mine Was. I Have Desk Top Pc With A
Wireless(whatever They Call It For My New Lap Top So I Can Use It In The Shop)
The New Unit Is The Laptop With (((vista))).
I Loaded Two Times And Both Times It Crashed And I Mean Real Good. Two Times I Called Dell And The First Time It Took Over Three Hours To Get It Back Running. We Had To Strip Down To Zero And Start Over Again. The Second The Same Thing And I Am The One Taking The Heat For Screwing It Up. Will Guess What? From The Day I Ordered My Lap Top Till The End Of My Second Time We Reloaded Windows From Dell Support When "i" Ask Could It Be The Program? It Was Then I Was Told You Can't Use Old Windows Programs With Vista. I Did ,however, Call Tech Support And They Sent Me A Two Page List On How To Load The Existing Program On Vista.
Good Luck
Dave

mtylerfl
09-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Hello Dave,

Could you please make another post and attach the "2-page list" that they sent you? With so many Vista users coming into the "family", the list might be helpful for a lot of folks.

Thanks!

atauer
09-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Gentlemen,

Though we are not listed as being compatible with Windows Vista, I have done some research that may assist you with your problem. The following steps should get you up and running.

1. Remove the CarveWright Designer program from your computer.

2. Click the following link www.carvewright.com/update, choose the full version for windows, select "Save", and choose the desktop icon.

3. Right-click the icon you just downloaded and choose to "Run as Administrator". If a prompt displays requesting permission to install the application, click Permit to continue the installation. If the installation succeeds, go to Step 6.

4. If the application installation fails and no installation permission prompt displayed, right-click the installer .exe file, click the Run this program as administrator option, and re-install the application. If the installation succeeds, go to Step 7.

5. If you receive any errors related to the operating system version, application registration, or file copy, right-click the installer .exe file, click Compatibility, and then choose the Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode.

6. Start the application. If the application does not start properly or displays errors, enable the Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode for the application .exe file, and then try to install it again on the operating system.

7. If the application starts successfully, run through the full suite of tests that you would typically use to test it on a computer running Windows XP. Verify your application functionality to confirm that it performs properly. If the application passes all major functionality tests, the application works.

8. If the application does not install and start successfully you will need to contact your computer manufacturer or Microsoft.

For more information about Windows Vista Compatibility click the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/security/application_compatibility.mspx

After opening the program should you have a gui.exe crash then do one or all of the following:

1. In your CarveWright Designer Software Go to Edit > Preferences and under Memory Cache settings change the number 256.

2. In your CarveWright Designer Software Go to Edit > Preferences > 3D Graphics and under Hardware Acceleration, select ‘Off’

I hope this information has been clear and helpful. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

atauer
09-17-2008, 09:22 AM
I will start another thread with the information.

mtylerfl
09-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks, Alex!

atauer
09-17-2008, 10:14 AM
No problem Michael.

That is what our technicians are here for.

PlateCarver
09-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Dave... thanks... my problem does not seem to be with the program but on the registration side. The program works great on my vista machine but I can not get through the registration process. I get the error from CarveWrites server that an illegal license was assigned by the server and i need to contact CarveWrite. Sounds like its more with maybe something I did when I first tried to register on this machine.

PlateCarver
09-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Well don't know what happened but it accepted the registration tonight and all is working well. Greatly appreciate all of the help and advise. As a new owner I am enjoying and experimenting with the capabilities of the machine.... again thanks for the help.