PDA

View Full Version : Carvewright Project Designer and Pattern Editor

SAA3840
09-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Is it just me and my computer or do a lot of other people have the same problem with the software that I do?
It doesn't matter too much what I'm working on, whether it's designing a project or working on editing a pattern, the whole program crashes. It's done this for the last month or two, no warning, no rhyme or reason, it just crashes. I of course get the irritating message that says the program has to shut down, but big deal, it's still crashing!!!.
Anyone else have this problem? :mad: :mad:

fwharris
09-16-2008, 12:59 AM
I have had it crash on me but not on a frequent cycle. I seems it did it most when I have a couple of different applications going at the same time. Could be a ram memory issue or come kind of conflict.

Does it give a error code when it crashes?
What OS are you using?
Have you ran a diagnostics on your computer?

Ike
09-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Yes it happens to me once in awhile. I notice it happens when I have more then one thing running in the background.

Ike

Ike
09-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Lol ok FW agrees too!!! Try only running the designer. Take a deep breath relax!!!:)

Ike

SAA3840
09-16-2008, 02:08 AM
NOPE, nothing running except Carvewright Project designer tonight when it crashed. Just now in fact, decided not to open it again and just quit for the night. Yes I know there's other stuff running, but no programs I opened, just the usual virus protection and such. Stuff that's been running all the time behind everything else on this computer. No problems with them. Oh, and I'm running Windows XP with tons of memory.

flemingswoodworks
09-16-2008, 06:19 AM
I have 3 monitors a ton of Ram and an almost empty hardrive and it crashes on me all the time.two of my monitors run on a 3d card and one is a stock one on the motherboard and when I have it open on a 3d monitor it crashes when it's open on the standard monitor I have no problems

coop2739
09-16-2008, 06:24 AM
:(:mad::mad:Mine crashes a lot when I have many connected lines and arcs in a drawing. The more I add the quicker it crashes. I have started to try to save the project after I draw 1 or 2 additional lines. Sometimes not as often as necessary.

Jvicaretti
09-16-2008, 06:57 AM
I thought it was just me. Mine crashes frequently (at least once a day) I have a fairly new computer with tons of memory and no other programs crash when I use them.
When it comes to this program I am in the habit of saving anything I am working on frequently.

mtylerfl
09-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Hello,

I run Designer with all kinds of apps running at the same time. Typically I have ArtCAM, CorelDraw, PhotoShop (and/or PhotoImpact), Internet Explorer 7 and my Compuserve email program all running at the same time along with Designer.

Designer crashes are extremely rare on my system! (Maybe once a month, if that??)

I have my Rendering Cache set at 16MB in Designer (I think that's the factory default setting).

My main computer system details are:

Dell Dimension XPS
Pentium 4, 3GHz, Hyperthreading Enabled
4GB RAM (recognized as 3.5GB)
Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2
Dual 17" LCD Monitors
128 DDR ATI Radeon 9800 (Dual Display Video Card)
Two 200GB Hard Drives
One Maxtor 750GB External Firewire Hard Drive (used as a backup drive for the entire system)

badger
09-16-2008, 07:33 AM
You havent stated what version you are running. It has already been discussed if its 1.130. Do a search and you will find the answer on how to fix it.

However mtylerfl has already mentioned the fix. You will need to increase the size of your rendering cache

mtylerfl
09-16-2008, 07:54 AM
You havent stated what version you are running. It has already been discussed if its 1.130. Do a search and you will find the answer on how to fix it.

However mtylerfl has already mentioned the fix. You will need to increase the size of your rendering cache

I guess I mentioned the fix by accident!:) (I thought 16MB was the default setting - I must have changed that but don't recall why or when.)

mark1945
09-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Mine did it when I had 1.126 on it. But whatever was causing it stopped when I downloaded 1.130,it has not done it since.Which are you using?:

Digitalwoodshop
09-16-2008, 10:06 AM
I get the Crash when I have big Text and try to move it with the up down arrows....

My work around is hitting the save button after every few changes and always just before I hit the down arrow 10 times and I choke designer and it dies.....

AL

XP and 1.130

Ike
09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
I checked mine and I have mine set at 20mb. I am also running mine on a laptop. I have plenty of ram and HD and running XP. Can't stand XP! I have noticed when I am running Corel draw and photo along with the Corel CD then sometimes the designer crashes.

But that is after having a designed project open along with the other program for a long period of times and after I close the other applications.

Could it be a fragment issue?

Ike

thelittleboxshop
09-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I use 1.30 and the program crashes. Of course 1.26 crashed often enough as well. With 1.30, the program crashes (every time) I exit the program with an "unable to read memory error" along with "The instruction at "0x69709250" referenced memory at "0x049b0654"". This makes no difference whether or not other programs are running. I wonder if the program deals with memory correctly. It seems to render bitmaps combined with vectors very, very slowly on my system regardless of cache settings. This setup handles AutoCad and Photoshop with lightening speed and never touches a cache.

Dell Dimension XPS 720 H2C
Intel Core Extreme 2, 3.7 GHz Quad Processor
4GB RAM
Windows XP, Service Pack 3
nVidia 8800GT Video Card with 512 MB ram
One 750GB Raid Drive

www.go3d.us
09-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Maybe increasing the Rendering Cache can help but I'm not sure, I had mine set to 50mb.

Ike
09-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Ok my program shut down after importing a pattern from Corel. I uploaded it from the clipboard and when I saved it to my favorites it shut down. I have increased my cache and will try to increase it more.

But not being a computer guru I can only tell you what has happen when my designer closes. So my theory having Corel open still makes sense to me!

Ike

mtylerfl
09-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Sorry to hear you're having problems - I have no certain idea why, but hoping you get things sorted out soon.

As I write this, I have CorelDraw X3, Designer, ArtCAM, PhotoImpact, this browser window, the old Carve Better Pattern Editor, and CompuServe all running at the same time. (This is the norm for me.)

Been doing projects and patterns all day as usual, transferring / copying / pasting vectors and bitmaps between those graphics programs and no crashes.

I am suspecting a video driver may be the culprit. Try checking for an updated video driver for your card and install it, if one is available (make a restore point on your system before the install - just to make things easier if you need to revert back to your old configuration). This suggestion is just a shot in the dark, but poorly written or out-dated video drivers can often be a cause of unexpected program crashing when working with graphics programs.

Another thing to try before installing a new video driver is turn off Hardware Acceleration in the 3D Preferences in Designer, just to see if that yields any improvement/stability of your system. Re-draws might be slower, but could make your system more stable.

liquidguitars
09-19-2008, 05:57 PM
saving memory... try using Designer's search tabs when working on large images. I think that deleting old not used patterns and adding sub directorys in Designer helps with memory 2.

LG

FiddlemakerMills
09-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I am suspecting a video driver may be the culprit. Try checking for an updated video driver for your card and install it, if one is available (make a restore point on your system before the install - just to make things easier if you need to revert back to your old configuration). This suggestion is just a shot in the dark, but poorly written or out-dated video drivers can often be a cause of unexpected program crashing when working with graphics programs.

Another thing to try before installing a new video driver is turn off Hardware Acceleration in the 3D Preferences in Designer, just to see if that yields any improvement/stability of your system. Re-draws might be slower, but could make your system more stable.

Mike is correct about the video driver. I hand to up grade mine to get the autocad and the diseiner to run without crashing. The other thing that was suggested that I do is up grade the video card ram to 1GB