PDA

View Full Version : Down hard

rlane10347
09-15-2008, 06:41 PM
After about 60 hours running the QC unit is worn out. After searching this forum I tried to remove the QC unit. It looks like the spindle, the QC unit, and the tool holder are all made from soft steel. In my opinion these type parts with the pressure they get should be made from hardened steel. Any way I bought a square allen wrench and ground a wrench to fit the QC flats. I heated it as hot as I dared tapped on the wrenches and could not get it free. Now the square hole in the spindle is beginning to distore. I feel that LRH should design a new spindel that will accept available router chucks. This would make a much more stable tool holder. It is not practical to change the QC unit after each 50 hours of use.

rjustice
09-15-2008, 08:19 PM
rlane,
Sorry to hear of your problems with the QC...You are correct about the spindle being soft. If you have a way to polish out the burrs that were created from the ground down allen wrench you should do so. The burrs will transfer damage to the flex shaft if they are very big. If you send me an email by clicking my address below, and ask for info... I will send you a list of tools that i make to change out the chuck. It is possible to make the change without scarfing up the spindle if you use a tool that fits perfectly. I also include good detailed instructions on how to do so....

Good Luck,

Ron

rlane10347
09-15-2008, 09:36 PM
I used a #30 square bit not a ground down allen wrench. It seemed to fit very well. I have pollished out the hole but still have a bad QC on it. I have contacted LHR and am waiting for an answer. May be a while due to Ike.

rlane10347
09-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Many thanks to a woman named Lisa. With the phone lines down due to Ike and the fact I will be leaving Maine to go to Florida for the winter and would not be able to ship my machine back. Lisa kept working with me thru email and was able to get the parts I need to get my machine back on line and finish my projects. Parts will be here in a couple days. Thanks allot Lisa from LHR