PDA

View Full Version : Replacing The Z-Truck

Northwoods Woodcrafter
09-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi...

I'm one of the "Close Cover" victims. The LHR rep told me that I needed a Z-Truck replacement and shipped one. I received it today and proceeded to install it.

I did quite a bit of searching the forum before bothering you folks with something that's probably been covered before. It appears that I have one of the "old" z-trucks as the instructions don't seem to cover it exactly.

There's a cable that attaches to the old assembly that isn't addressed in the instructions. I've read that it's not necessary any longer. I've also seen something called a z-pack. Seems to have new circuitry. Is this z-pack something that the tech should have told me about? Will I need it to install my new z-truck or do I just disconnect the cable?

Thanks for anyone's help.

Pete

Jeff_Birt
09-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Z-pack = new Z-motor (what you have is the motor not the truck, the truck is the part that goes up/down) plus all the goodies needed to install it (ribbon cable, termination boards, etc).

The little 1/4" ribbon that goes down to the Z-truck can be removed, or just leave it there and tape over the end. The only issue you will have is if you every get a probe you will need the adapter cable.

Northwoods Woodcrafter
09-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks Jeff...

It's still a little confusing. The instructions all read "Replacing the Z-Truck". I'll forget about the cable and button her up then. I do have a probe but haven't had time to use it.

Pete

TerryT
09-15-2008, 08:30 PM
I did quite a bit of searching the forum before bothering you folks with something that's probably been covered before.
Pete

Pete,
I'm not sure if posts have dropped off any in the last year or so, but .....
Not all of us get PO'ed about the search thing.

For all of you newbies... If you have a question, don't be afraid to ask. It would be nice if you use the search but truth is it don't work that well anyway. There are plenty of people here that would be happy to answer your question. For most of us, it isn't a bother.

Jvicaretti
09-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Thank you Terry, I am pretty new but I also don't mind someone asking. Who knows in the asking we may get another answer posted that we never thought of. I agree about the search not always working very good. Besides there is no substitute for talking to people even if it is online

Northwoods Woodcrafter
09-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Thanks everyone for the help. I finished the install and everything seems to be fine for now. I ran a one hour project and it completed without a problem.

Maybe its just me but it seems like the close cover problem that lead to replacing the unit must have been caused by a problem with the circuit in the old unit. Wouldn't my problem have been solved if I just disconnected the cable from it without replacing it for $80? I might just try it when I've got a lot of time to kill.

Pete

Northwoods Woodcrafter
09-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks Al,

I replaced the z-truck. The old one had circuits and wires, the new one does not. I have to assume that the old circuit was causing the erroneous Close Cover message. I'm just wondering if the problem would have been solved by disconnecting the white cable rather than purchasing a new z-truck (sans circuitry).

Pete

al2888dj
09-19-2008, 11:43 PM
ordered new cut motor when i recevied it has 103 hrs on it oh well , this one does works

Jeff_Birt
09-20-2008, 08:52 AM
ordered new cut motor when i recevied it has 103 hrs on it oh well , this one does works

I'm not sure how one could look at a cut motor and tell it had 103 hours on it? I suspect maybe that your looking at the time readouts on the machine? If so those are timers built into the machine NOT the cut motor. So it is telling you the amount of time your machine turned the cut motor on (what ever cut motor was installed in your machine). It's like the odometer in your car. Your odometer doesn't know if you swap engines...

mtylerfl
09-20-2008, 09:10 AM
I was wondering the same thing!? The cut motor doesn't keep "time".

al2888dj
09-20-2008, 07:23 PM
came with note saying 103 hrs my machine has 235 hrs

mtylerfl
09-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Ok, thanks for letting us know.

Digitalwoodshop
09-20-2008, 10:15 PM
With 235 hours on your cut motor it was close to needing it's brushes replaced.... Was that the real problem? The oil needed changing so I traded the car in..... Humor.... Sorry it's 11 PM and I have been carving all day.....

That was nice of LHR to put the hours on the motor. Lets you know when to start looking at the brushes. A Stalled cut motor because of the brushes getting too short and the copper tether inside the spring stops the brush from touching the commutator when it is too short.

The bummer when it happens with the 1/8 inch cutting bit is the $40.00 bit snaps.... Brushes $5.00 each. Knowing that $10.00 in parts saved a $40.00 Bit... Priceless....

AL

al2888dj
09-20-2008, 11:32 PM
cut motor was a new one,i still have the old needed new mag. keeper, the 1st one that i recived the flex shaft would not stay ingaged returned 15.00 my cost + 75.00 for new cut motor , have to order new mag. keeper for the old one + new brushes using 1.130