PDA

View Full Version : Load 1/8" cutter bit

kenrik
09-13-2008, 02:13 PM

mtylerfl
09-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Confirm that the bit is hitting the bit touch plate (twice) after you install the bit. If the bit touch plate doesn't swing out far enough for the bit to touch the top surface of the plate, you may need to clean/lube (with dry spray lube, not oil) it so that it does.

roughcut
09-13-2008, 04:25 PM
When you load the bit and close the lid and push start does the cut motor spin ? If not check the lid switch it may have dust it. Thats what happened to me. I blew out the switch and it worked fine.

Amonaug
09-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Is it touching the bit plate AND the board? It could be it's not touching the board thus not finding the surface.

mtylerfl
09-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Hello Kenrick,

That was the problem alright - board too thin. Sorry I didn't think to have you check that (I tend to assume folks already know the minimum specs, I guess.)

You can use a carrier board for stock thinner than 1/2". You can read the Tips & Tricks April '08 issue for more info.

mtylerfl
09-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Back to square one!! I tried a peice of 3/4" plywood and got the same message. I re-loaded the 1/8" straight cutting bit 6 times and pressed start 6 times. I switched back to the 1/16" carving bit... loaded a store bought pattern and it worked fine!!

Well, for heaven's sake! Thought sure you had it solved when you discovered the stock was too thin.

That's a head-scratcher - especially since the 1/16" bit works alright.
Maybe someone else can think of another reason this could be happening. That's pretty weird.

Unless you "interfered" with auto cut path bit assignment...
Are you using the 1/8" for a cut path? If so, be sure you did not override the auto assignment of the cutting bit by intervening and setting the bit manually. (You do not / should not assign a bit if you are using the auto cut path feature.)

Jeff_Birt
09-13-2008, 09:55 PM
You're MPC file looks fine. Have you checked that the 1/8" bit has not slipped in the adapter?

You have also not specified where in the homing process it stops and asks you to reload the bit. After you load the bit it will spin briefly, it brings the bit to the front (keypad side) of the machine, runs it up/down then it go's back to the bit plate and touch down on it twice. It then brings the bit back to the front, runs it up/down again and then moves over to touch down twice on the board, it will then go back and touch down through the slot in the sliding guide plate and then it touches the top of the guide plate.

Where is it stopping in this process?

Amonaug
09-13-2008, 11:58 PM
That was my next suggestion to make sure the bit isn't loose in the adapter.

Amonaug
09-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Well I'm still getting a message telling me to load 1/8" cutting bit after I have loaded the bit and the machine has gone though it's homing, touch plate, finding surface phase.
I cleaned and lubed the four column posts, threaded rods, and crank handles, then I tested the roller down pressure with a digital bathroom scale as outlined in the owners manual. I am getting a consistant reading of 60 LB's, and it should be at least 80#'s according to the manual.
I have been trying to get through to LHR...but their phone service must still be down
( busy signal for almost a week now )
So my question to all you seasoned carvewright owners is ...Has anyone adjusted to crank torque...and if so how did you do it???. I did a forum search but came up empty.
Thanks in advance for any help!!!

ASPIRING NEWBE :confused:

Yes their phones are down due to the hurricane. Try the support@carvewright.com e-mail.

mtylerfl
09-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Well I'm still getting a message telling me to load 1/8" cutting bit after I have loaded the bit and the machine has gone though it's homing, touch plate, finding surface phase.
I cleaned and lubed the four column posts, threaded rods, and crank handle gears. then I tested the roller down pressure with a digital bathroom scale as outlined in the owners manual. I am getting a consistant reading of 60 LB's, and it should be at least 80#'s according to the manual.
I have been trying to get through to LHR...but their phone service must still be down
( busy signal for almost a week now )
So my question to all you seasoned carvewright owners is ...Has anyone adjusted the crank torque...and if so how did you do it???. I did a forum search but came up empty.
Thanks in advance for any help!!!

ASPIRING NEWBE :confused:

Hello,

Usually if it's constantly asking you to load a bit, the swing arm (called the "touch plate") is not coming out far enough or at all.

Lube the touch plate hinge and see if that corrects your problem , or you can actually wedge a piece of styrofoam to make the touch plate extend out all the time (as long as your board is no more than 13 or 14" wide).

That should get you going for the time being until you can sort out why your touch plate is not swinging out as it should. (assuming that's the problem)

MikeMcCoy
09-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Have you tried just hitting "Enter" when you get the message the second time? If so, what does the machine do? One of mine does that routinely when everything is loaded and it's ready to carve. I don't know if the other would do the same or not since it hasn't been run except to check it out.