PDA

View Full Version : "Check cut motor" message

Rocky
09-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Twice, in the past month, my CW stopped carving and displayed a "Check cut motor" message. I didn't know what I was to check, but I looked inside and outside of the CW; I didn't see anything wrong, so I pressed "Enter" and the carving completed 'ok'. Can anyone provide any feedback regarding this message?

Thanks,

mtylerfl
09-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Rocky,

Do a search on "check cut motor" WITH the quotes - you'll find all kinds of info...

Deolman
09-12-2008, 04:05 PM
A search on this one would have revealed that your cut speed is no longer being controlled because the magnet in the motor most likely came loose. Go to Options (0) select 7 and scroll until you come to the cut motor sensor. Rotate your chuck and see if your display changes the count from 0. If not, you should call LHR and tell them the symptoms. Because of the additional speed, the flex shaft will run hotter risking further damage.

Digitalwoodshop
09-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Make sure your dust bag is clean too... A plugged bag causes heat to build up in the motor and the back pressure reduces the speed.

AL

Rocky
09-13-2008, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I performed the suggested check using the options panel and when I turned the chuck the number incremented from zero to 1, 2, 3, etc. Can I assume that it's functioning properly?

The dust bag had a small amount of dust.

Deolman
09-13-2008, 11:21 AM
The numbers incrementing indicates it is good. Try checking the connections to the sensor board for being intermittent. It is the little connector on top of the motor near the flex shaft. Other than that, I am afraid I can't help much now.

zman
09-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Rocky,

I am having the same or like problem. I get the message when I start a new carve job or change bits. I called LHR and I believe it was called the RPM Sensor on the top of the cutting motor, right by the flex shaft. They had me check mine while I was on the phone and it was not connected. The sensor was dangling by the wire with the screw to attach still in the hole on the board. I hung up the phone to attach and the hole on the cutting motor is stripped, accually the screw just drops down in the hole no resistance. I call them back and I have a new cutting motor coming. I hope this may help you.

Zman

Rocky
09-14-2008, 04:39 AM
Rocky,

I am having the same or like problem. I get the message when I start a new carve job or change bits. I called LHR and I believe it was called the RPM Sensor on the top of the cutting motor, right by the flex shaft. They had me check mine while I was on the phone and it was not connected. The sensor was dangling by the wire with the screw to attach still in the hole on the board. I hung up the phone to attach and the hole on the cutting motor is stripped, accually the screw just drops down in the hole no resistance. I call them back and I have a new cutting motor coming. I hope this may help you.

Zman

Thanks, I'll have to check mine.

TurtleCove
10-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks, I'll have to check mine.

Rocky, what did you find out?
Same problem?

-dirk
www.thinboards.com

zman
10-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Dirk,

I did replace the RPM sensor and the cut motor and it fixed the check motor problem I was having.

Zman

Rocky
10-14-2008, 04:16 AM
Rocky, what did you find out?
Same problem?

-dirk
www.thinboards.com

Dirk,

I couldn't find anything wrong (e.g., loose wire, etc.). However, since my post several weeks ago, I haven't seen the message.....knock on wood. :)

TurtleCove
10-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Same here, Rocky. I got the error on my new machine, during my 3rd carving. I inspected it, found nothing, then told it to continue. It did so, but I could tell it was spinning the flex shaft at one, full speed until it finished the carving. I did notice also, that the flex shaft was much warmer than normal.

Today, I went thru the onboard menu, and when I turned the bit holder by hand, the numbers on the display did increase (I don't recall I got to the particular menu, but other posts are specific on that). So, I started a new carving, and received no warning....so at this point, all is well with my unit also.

-dirk
www.thinboards.com