PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

TritonGeorge
09-12-2008, 03:17 PM
I am trying to make the attached sign. The the rectangle needs to be completely carved out while the hole is only carved on the edges by .063". When I look at the image it appears as though the hole is completely removed. Am I doing something wrong?

Digitalwoodshop
09-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Wrong Picture?

TritonGeorge
09-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Here\s the right one

Amonaug
09-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Is this more what you are looking for?

You had the circle as a cut path thus it was cutting out the whole circle. Also not sure what that DBS pattern was, looked like just a blank square so I removed it.

Digitalwoodshop
09-12-2008, 07:37 PM
I did the same thing... Removed the square. By turning on the cut list to the left you can select each item and see it in a clutterd file. By holding the Control you can select more than one item.

AL

TritonGeorge
09-15-2008, 07:35 AM
What I am attempting to make is a pamphlet holder. The guitar body is going to be glued on the wall, the rectangle shape is where I will put the tri-fold pamphlets, this needs to be a cut out. The guitar hole will also be partially cut out but the edge on the outside of the rectangle must only be cut down 1/8" because I plan on glueing a CD in this location to act as a support. Hope this makes sense to you. Thank you for your reply.

Amonaug
09-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Perhaps a drawing would help with the "partially cut out" part? I think I have what you want but not sure how much of the circle you want left.

The .mpc I posted has the edge of the circle 1/8" into the wood.

Unless this is what you are looking for? The circle has a carve region on the back to make it only 1/8" thick and 1/8" into the front of the project thus leaving a space behind it to put the pamphlets.

Only other way I can think to do this without having to carve out the rectangle with a carve region and thus carving away 3/4" of wood is to create a pattern that looks something like this [( ) ] with the tops and bottom connected of course. Then use outline pattern and apply a cut path then delete the pattern.

TritonGeorge
09-15-2008, 01:12 PM
I see what you've done which is very close to what I am looking for. Instead of leaving that piece of wood there I am trying to carve out 1/8" path so I can glue a CD there which would be flush with the surface. Every time I try to do this the hole disappears from the image although I can see it in the view carvings tab. I must mention that I am tracing the guitar image from a picture, using the arc function to do the contour and then I use the cut path to cut out the guitar. I then make the rectangle and also use the cut path to remove it. I then use the circle function to create the hole and use carve region to try and set the depth. no matter what I try it doesn't work... so far

TritonGeorge
09-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Sorry Kevin, the carve path should read 1/8"

Amonaug
09-15-2008, 01:22 PM
So you don't want the middle part of the circle like I have in my first post above? That has a 1/8" recess too which the CD will fit into and be flush with the surface.

As for making the guitar shape thinner, you can add a carve region to it, problem is then you'd have to setup your centerline text as another project or use the Modern font with outline and a 90-V bit.

TritonGeorge
09-15-2008, 01:31 PM
I modified my last post which I believe was done as you were sending me your reply. Yes, you are right, I do not want the middle of the circle because this way I can put more pamphlets in the rectangle. I just can't figure out why the hole is constantly disappearing on me...

George

Digitalwoodshop
09-15-2008, 02:55 PM
I am confused too....

You are talking about 2 functions for the round hole.

1 is a cut path and when ever you use the cut path the result will be tabs and the center wood will cut through and the circle removed.

2. You mention a Carve Region circle to place a CD in it and glue it.....

Use one but not both.....

The Carve Region you just make a circle, select carve region and select the depth on the top left side of the tool bar. I think it defaults to .25 when you place it and it will use the carving bit to make the region. Watch the Feather as that will mess you up as will the DRAFT...

:) AL

TritonGeorge
09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
1. Rectangle is made with Cut Path
2. Circle is made using Carve Region
3. Guitar body is made using Cut Path

The guitar body is an actual photograph of a guitar which I did an import image and then placed it on my piece of wood. I enlarged the size and followed the body shape using the Arc function.

I tried everything to see the circle image and nothing works for me.

Amonaug
09-15-2008, 03:33 PM
You won't see the full circle because you used a cut path on the rectangle. You could select to not hide the cut out for the rectangle then you'll see the carved circle region.

Digitalwoodshop
09-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Can you post the current file you are using?

AL

mtylerfl
09-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I modified my last post which I believe was done as you were sending me your reply. Yes, you are right, I do not want the middle of the circle because this way I can put more pamphlets in the rectangle. I just can't figure out why the hole is constantly disappearing on me...

George

I'm dying to help, but I must be really "slow" today - I can't quite figure out what you're wanting the final design to be.

I'm thinking you need to use the Merge functions (and maybe the Group function as well, depending on the layout) to keep things (the hole?) from dissappearing from the board, but can't offer specific advice since I'm so foggy on what the final outcome is supposed to look like.

I've been watching the thread and re-reading it to see if any lightbulbs start turning on in my brain, but so far it's still dim in there!

TritonGeorge
09-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Here is the finished version, I copied this from Amonaug, removed the centre and ended up with this. It appears as though in his original image he also has the bottom full circle cut out, which I do not see in my image. Hopefully it has the rectangular shaped walls as the front photo shows with only the edge of the hole which is to the outside of the rectangle carved out to 1/8".Once again thank you for your help and patience.
George

TritonGeorge
09-15-2008, 03:50 PM
I guess what is in my head is not all that easy to put on paper. I am not familiar with the "Merge" or "Group" functions although in name alone either one could possibly be what I am looking for. The base of the guitar is a mounting plaque, the rectangle is to store pamphlets in and the circle cut-out is to hold a CD flush to the top surface which in turn will hold the pamphlets in place. EVERYTHING i try always seems to eliminate the circle. I have copied someone else's design and posted it here, although I am not quite sure it will work, it sure looks good.

Regards,

George

I'm dying to help, but I must be really "slow" today - I can't quite figure out what you're wanting the final design to be.

I'm thinking you need to use the Merge functions (and maybe the Group function as well, depending on the layout) to keep things (the hole?) from dissappearing from the board, but can't offer specific advice since I'm so foggy on what the final outcome is supposed to look like.

I've been watching the thread and re-reading it to see if any lightbulbs start turning on in my brain, but so far it's still dim in there!

Amonaug
09-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Here is the finished version, I copied this from Amonaug, removed the centre and ended up with this. It appears as though in his original image he also has the bottom full circle cut out, which I do not see in my image. Hopefully it has the rectangular shaped walls as the front photo shows with only the edge of the hole which is to the outside of the rectangle carved out to 1/8".Once again thank you for your help and patience.
George

Think you forgot the file/pic :)

mtylerfl
09-15-2008, 06:13 PM
I guess what is in my head is not all that easy to put on paper. I am not familiar with the "Merge" or "Group" functions although in name alone either one could possibly be what I am looking for. The base of the guitar is a mounting plaque, the rectangle is to store pamphlets in and the circle cut-out is to hold a CD flush to the top surface which in turn will hold the pamphlets in place. EVERYTHING i try always seems to eliminate the circle. I have copied someone else's design and posted it here, although I am not quite sure it will work, it sure looks good.

Regards,

George

Is this what you are wanting? The large rectangle is a carve region with a depth of .6". The circle parts that overhang the rectangle have a depth of .125". That way you can glue the cd flush with the surface and have space behind it for the brochures. EDIT: Actually, a CD is thinner than that - you can change the depth of the CD carve region to be shallower if you wish.

(I did not change it, but it looks like the neck cutout is too close to the brochure rectangle - you might want to add some space there. Also, just thought that the brochures could slip down from behind the CD in the front. Might need to reposition the CD farther down to keep that from happening.)

Ike
09-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Is this what you are wanting? The large rectangle is a carve region with a depth of .6". The circle parts that overhang the rectangle have a depth of .125". That way you can glue the cd flush with the surface and have space behind it for the brochures.

(I did not change it, but it looks like the neck cutout is too close to the brochure rectangle - you might want to add some space there. Also, just thought that the brochures could slip down from behind the CD in the front. Might need to reposition the CD farther down to keep that from happening.)

Michael, tried to view your file and it comes with a message file written with newer software check for update.

I am using 1.130, so not sure if you have something newer?

Ike

Amonaug
09-15-2008, 06:42 PM
I got the same thing, strange.

TritonGeorge
09-15-2008, 06:46 PM
I have been to many Forums but never had so much response and HELP as I have here... Thank you all so much for your patience and input. As a "Newbie" this is awesome. I can only hope to be able to help someone else someday as much as I have been here. Once again, Thank you all.

George

mtylerfl
09-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Michael, tried to view your file and it comes with a message file written with newer software check for update.

I am using 1.130, so not sure if you have something newer?

Ike

Shoot - I completely forgot I am running a beta version of the software. Unfortunately, I do not have ver 1.13 any longer so no one can open that mpc until "later".

Nuts! Anyway, let me see if I can retrace my steps so you can reproduce it yourself...(gosh I hope I remember this right!)

1) Make the Circle a Carve Region/Depth .125"
2) Assign "Clip Carving Exclusive" to the Circle
3) Assign "Merge Subtractive" to the Circle
4) Remove the cutpath on the rectangle and make it a carve region/depth .6" (or whatever)

I think that should do it.

Ike
09-15-2008, 07:04 PM
That is strange? Have been able to open your file in the other post for making scallop trim.

Ike

mtylerfl
09-15-2008, 07:04 PM
I have been to many Forums but never had so much response and HELP as I have here... Thank you all so much for your patience and input. As a "Newbie" this is awesome. I can only hope to be able to help someone else someday as much as I have been here. Once again, Thank you all.

George

George,

Is the layout I did, fit what you were after?

(I wrote the steps out above so you can reproduce it with Designer on your own computer.)

mtylerfl
09-15-2008, 07:05 PM
That is strange? Have been able to open your file in the other post for making scallop trim.

Ike

That was done on ver 1.12 on another computer.

TritonGeorge
09-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi Michael,

The machine is carving out the pattern as we speak, so far it looks great, although I am not sure until it is complete. It says about 3 hours to carve out. I will keep you posted.
Thanks, George

George,

Is the layout I did, fit what you were after?

(I wrote the steps out above so you can reproduce it with Designer on your own computer.)

TritonGeorge
09-16-2008, 10:16 AM
When I follow the instructions that Michael posted and use a new workpiece everything works out great. PROBLEM IS, when I take my uploaded guitar image and place it on the wood, I cannot repeat the same results, no matter how deep I set the carve region, even after following each step to the letter I still do not see the circle in my image?

mtylerfl
09-16-2008, 10:35 AM
When I follow the instructions that Michael posted and use a new workpiece everything works out great. PROBLEM IS, when I take my uploaded guitar image and place it on the wood, I cannot repeat the same results, no matter how deep I set the carve region, even after following each step to the letter I still do not see the circle in my image?

Hi George,

Post your new mpc and I'll check to see if I can find what's wrong with it for you.

TritonGeorge
09-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Here it is, I know the circle is there, just can't get it to show up?????

mtylerfl
09-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Here it is, I know the circle is there, just can't get it to show up?????

Hi George,

OK, simple. All you need to do is select the circle and change the Clip Carving to None, then click Invert to make the circle re-appear. Something changed I guess from a previous example, but no matter - this will work just fine.

EDIT: Hey, George, I just noticed that the DBS graphic/Pattern is probably not necessary - you should delete it off the board unless there is some reason I can't think of as to why you need it. (You'll get a better/smoother carving without it, I think.) If you delete it, you won't have to invert the circle, just make the Clip Carving None setting, since a clip wouldn't be necessary either.

TritonGeorge
09-16-2008, 01:35 PM
It worked like a charm, I just don't know why or what I did to fix it, meaning I know where to find the functions I'm not quite clear on what they all do.

George

mtylerfl
09-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi George,

Great news - glad you got it sorted out! Comfort with Designer comes with time - no one really "knows it all", least of all me! The only thing I can say is the more you play with the tools, the more you realize how powerful Designer really can be.

Every now and then I'll think to myself I should do a Tips & Tricks on Clipping and Merging, but I basically covered that already in some of the earlier issues, so I'm not sure how I could elaborate on those features very effectively without being redundant.;)