PDA

View Full Version : Cover Switch Replacement

Hexe SA
09-11-2008, 08:12 PM
After calling LHR with "Please Close Cover" in the middle of a carve, I ordered a Replacement Cover Switch Assy. (out of warranty for 1 month) and asked if they could include the instructions of replacing it. Jessica assured me she will e-mail them. Replacement came today no instructions. With Ike looming on LHR (best of luck too them) and not being able to find specifics with a thread search maybe someone can help me. I have a craft show benefiting the Diabetis Foundation on Tuesday and had planned on making a few more items to donate.
Thanks
Eva

MikeMcCoy
09-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Look down around the bottom of the page

http://carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html

Virginia Beach Carver
09-12-2008, 07:27 AM
I simple used a small piece of wire to close the circuit after taking the two switches out. They drove me crazy for weeks so out they went. I think we are smart enough not to reach into the machine while it is running but I understand why the company added this safety feature, only wish it worked better than I would not have had to remove them.

Digitalwoodshop
09-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Removing both switches.... WOW.... "Don't do this at home"...

Know that if the C1 Capacitor breaks, your cut motor could start by itself, my unit did.... I posted the C1 Saga a few weeks ago.... On my 3 machines 2 have broken due to vibration.

Silicone Transistors have been know to short and that could start the cut motor just as you grab the bit.

Sony Picture Tube Plant in San Diego had the 8 and 9 digit club.... A Select group of maintenance mechanics that thought lock out and tag out was a joke. They gave the safety training as "Guest Speakers".... "Don't try this at home".....

At least put toggle switches in the cover that you can FLIP MANUALLY to act as cover switches..... Removing the switches is like cleaning your M16 with a full clip and the safety off and looking down the barrel.... "Don't try this at home".....

Removing the switches was your choice. It's your machine.

Good Luck,

AL

Ike
09-12-2008, 01:47 PM
After calling LHR with "Please Close Cover" in the middle of a carve, I ordered a Replacement Cover Switch Assy. (out of warranty for 1 month) and asked if they could include the instructions of replacing it. Jessica assured me she will e-mail them. Replacement came today no instructions. With Ike looming on LHR (best of luck too them) and not being able to find specifics with a thread search maybe someone can help me. I have a craft show benefiting the Diabetis Foundation on Tuesday and had planned on making a few more items to donate.
Thanks
Eva

Eva, it really is a simple replacement. First you must remove the hood, crank the head up enough to be able to unscrew the 2 top side screws. Then on the exhaust side remove the 2 screws. Detach your flex cable and this is a good time to lube it if you have not in awhile!

Then carefully lift the hood, you will see the cut motor cables connected. Remove the dust cover and disconnect the bullet connectors. Then near the keypad side you will see the white switch plug. Disconnect it and remove the hood.

Now take a good look at the switch wires they are hot glued in. You will need to cut them out or reheat the glue. Start with the probe plug, you will need to squeeze the clips to release it. Then put the new plug in, make sure you put the plug in the same way it came out.

Then remove the old wires and as you go install the new switch. Hot glue them in at the same place. Oh you will need to remove the support over the wires near the probe plug, just 2 small screws. Continue along removing the old and installing the new. Of course remove the 2 small screws to the actual switch and with the dust cover reinstall the new switch.

This way it goes in the way it came out. I then taped the wires that plug back into the board near the Z motor to protect them.

Then comes putting the hood back on. Replug your cut motor plugs, then the cover switch wire with the plug needs to go under the Z motor and can only be done with the hood almost on. Then plug in the white plug gently not to bend the prongs. Then add a touch of hot glue when fully connected to insure the plug will stay.

Now you need to tuck in the cut motor wires and replace the dust cover. This is very important if the wires are not tuck in they will interfere with your Z truck and when it tries to find the bit the wires will block it. Keep in mind you will need to do this through the open cover area. The hood should be all the way down.

Once you get the wires tucked in, tighten the top 2 screws and then install the front screws and insert your flex cable and you are done!

Ike

liquidguitars
09-12-2008, 01:47 PM
I agree it's bad practice ..

I have the cover switch on the lefthand side removed "not good" so i hope the 2nd one will keep the cutmotor from starting..

Can the same thing happen with only the cut switch active?...

LG

Digitalwoodshop
09-12-2008, 03:16 PM
The right switch will cut the path to the motor power and prevent the motor from starting as long as it does not stick in the closed position.

As for the left one, it tells the computer to not move. What is the first thing the machine does after the change of the bit....? It spins up..... With both switches removed.... Ouch.

A toggle switch would be better than nothing.... I still remember the mess at Sony when the new girl squeezed into the Robot enclosure to adjust a picture tube part when it stopped. As soon as she fixed the part the micro switch told the PLC to move the robot behind her at max speed to pick up the part and move it to the next machine. The Soft body parts of her spine were no match for the drive motors.... She lived, but will never walk.

Then there was the guy fixing the picture tube elevator and removed the clear plastic sides to adjust a switch.... When it was adjusted correctly it went UP..... Since he was reaching in from the side of the elevator and had not turned the power off...... it peeled the skin off his arm to the bones..... No broken bones, but he always wears long sleeve shirts now.

Reminds me of the High School Movies.... Mechanized Death and Signal 30.....

They should make a CNC Safety Movie. "The Mangaler".....

Being a Retired Navy Chief, I had to explain Safety to the young lads many times, so I feel it is my duty to step up to the soap box... If it prevents just one person from removing the switches..... No it is not OK to remove the switches is the lesson here, but it is your choice.

The Laser Engravers have door safety switches and I saw a sign.... "CAUTION !!! Don't look at the Laser Beam with the remaining Good Eye!!!"

Stepping off my Soap Box...

AL

supershingler
09-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Alright I Have A Dumb Queston
What Would Happen If Lhr Installed A Couple Of Latches Of Some Kind On The Viewing Lid To Hold It In Place Instead Of Just Resting On A Switch. No Vibration On The Switch Would Be An Improvement In My Eyes.

Just A Thought

Any Imput Welcome

Kendall

Digitalwoodshop
09-12-2008, 07:06 PM
With 2 of my 3 units I had the screws come loose on both switches. I removed the piece of plastic over the switch so the screws could get a better bite in the cover and problem solved.

When ever you remove the top cover set it on a flat surface and guard against the cover hanging as the 2 switches are being pressed by the lid as the lid is unsupported. So I think switch problems are USER induced as were BOTH of my covers.... Took 2 covers to LEARN.... Wax on.... Wax off..... The previous owner of machine 3 was gentle with the cover.

AL

Hexe SA
09-12-2008, 10:14 PM
IKE the instructions worked. Since I had the switch already I wasn't temped to make a short cut. Sorry safety first, I like my fingers. Guess I should have done a little more cleaning and lubing while I had it open. The cover shows closed but it states now Please load board. Well too late tonight, I give it a try tomorrow if we have power. San Antonio is far enough away from hurrican IKE but we are suppose to get 40-50 miles per hour winds, rain etc.
Eva

www.go3d.us
09-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Sometime it's not the switch but it the connector to the circuit board that goes from the switch on the key pad side.