PDA

View Full Version : How often are you forced to replace your QC?

bayea
09-11-2008, 05:01 PM
I have to replace my QC again, :-( , after learning my lesson the second time. . . I make sure the bit is very secure in the QC, but after a while the QC still gets messed up.

so question #1 - how often are you forced to replace your QC because it wont keep the bit secure anymore?

#2 - are there any tricks to making a QC last longer?

Ike
09-11-2008, 05:24 PM
I have to replace my QC again, :-( , after learning my lesson the second time. . . I make sure the bit is very secure in the QC, but after a while the QC still gets messed up.

so question #1 - how often are you forced to replace your QC because it wont keep the bit secure anymore?

#2 - are there any tricks to making a QC last longer?

Proper cleaning and lube! I always tap my QC while holding the release up. You would be amazed how much compacted saw dust comes out. You can blow it out it using a 1/4" bent copper tube. Then use 3 and 1 oil and lightly lube the release.

Now if you continue to break QC there may be more going on. Are your bits properly seated in the holder? Are your holders worn?

If it is not holding the bit I would clean and lube it well and then check the bit holders for wear.

Ike

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
I have had alot of problems with my QC as well. I just got a new one and its already sticking. Proper cleaning is a must. As well with the whole machine. I too clean and lube the QC. I also put a small dab of lube on the collet before putting it in the machine to ensure release. I still have struggles with the QC. Until something new and greater comes along, i dont know. Also as the other gentleman stated check your collets for wear. Improper wear on the collets can contribute to QC problems.

Jvicaretti
09-11-2008, 08:24 PM
I have started using canned air (the stuff for computers) to spray up into the bit holder. The tubes are flexible and it really removes alot of stuff.

Hexe SA
09-11-2008, 08:33 PM
I keep a spare $29.95 plus s&h on hand, after my 3 week ordeal in getting a bit out

Digitalwoodshop
09-12-2008, 10:21 AM
I know my machines very well and I was shocked that the QC was in need of replacement SO SOON.... and it started with the 1/8 inch bit. I do a Cut PATH on every project and I believe this accelerated wear of the QC is the result of the AGGRESSIVE 1.130 Cut Path.

I really wish that someone would come out with a after market replacement spindle with a standard router bit holder on it.... 2 wrenches and less hassle.

Being around Machine Shops in the Navy, my brother was a Machinist making parts for Subs. It would be a project for R Justice.... You send in your Spindle and get it back with new bearings and a compression spindle.....

AL

benluz
09-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Hello,I took my old QC apart and removed the cone that holds the adapter, I slid a new adapter inside and tack welded it . Now I have a solid backup and it works as well as the original .If I need to change bits the set screws are still accessible.
Thanks,
Ben

Digitalwoodshop
09-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Good idea but I change bits all the time.... The length of the 1/8 inch bit and the leverage works against us too. Time for and "Anatomy of the Spindle".....

Take a shaft out and get some Machine Shop to look at the idea... TOO bad that LHR did not use the same thread as the QC that Sears sells.... Then a Friction Locking bit holder could be put on the spindle.

Hey R Justice got anything in the works.....? Got 3 machines.....

AL

JLT
09-13-2008, 07:04 PM
I disassembled the QC, and used J-B Weld to hold the bit adapter into the stripped down chuck. Works great (haven't had a problem since), but as Al points out, I only have use of the 1/16" carving bit, which is all I really need, although now I wish to dabble with the 1/8" fluted bit.

(See my earlier post http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7905&highlight=chuck+jb-weld+modification)

On my next iteration of modifying the QC to hold a 1/8" fluted bit, I'm not going to use as much locktite on the QC spindle and give that a try. I've had a number of occasions where the QC as designed worked itself loose (ie, unthreaded itself from the spindle), but believe this is due to a wobbling bit adapter (from wear) in the QC, as evidenced by the bit adapter screws wearing the QC in the direction of unthreading. With a J-B Welded bit adapter, there is no room for the "wobbles", and thus no reverse torque on the QC...

Jonathan Trent
Leonardtown, MD

rjustice
09-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Al,
Yes i have 3 versions designed, the first one has been tested and ready to go to production. I just need time to get them made, and then will offer it up for you guys.... Sorry for the big delay.
Had to throw the big wedding for my only daughter last weekend, and have been working many OT hours at my "Day Job" on top of that ... lol

I will try to get something out to you guys soon....

Thank you for your patience!

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
09-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Ron,

That is GREAT NEWS.....

Thanks,

AL

JLT
09-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Ron,

If you're looking for any beta testers, sign me up!

R, Jon

Jonathan Trent
Leonardtown, MD

Ike
09-15-2008, 07:29 PM
I was wondering how hot is the flex shaft getting and could it make the the QC goes out too soon? Then is the flex shaft seated correctly in the QC and how deep are you carving your projects. Then how much do you use the machine to cut out patterns with the cutting bit?

Never had any problems with my QC. I always check the flex shaft when using it and lube it regularly. The other day after changing my cover sensor I didn't seat the flex cable and heard it make a strange sound. I rarely to never use the 1/8 cutting bit and hand cut out my projects.

Or is it over lubing the flex? I know Al uses his CW's a lot to cut out his projects I wonder if the strain is too much? Then how deep the carvings are being cut? I have been cutting mine at 3/16 to save time. Maybe carving deeper then 1/4" puts on too much pressure?

I am asking to see if there is a pattern with those who cuts out every projects made. Or deep carvings or long carvings that may over heat the flex shaft.

Or is it hit and miss and some get QC that last, while others do not?

Ron, glad to see you will have the solution soon!

Ike

Amonaug
09-15-2008, 07:33 PM
I think it's a matter of maintanence and maybe some being just unlucky with faulty spindles.

I do a lot of deep carvings and cut outs. I make sure the chuck is clean and the red lines are lined up and that there in no wiggle in the bit.

Ike
09-15-2008, 07:44 PM
I think it's a matter of maintanence and maybe some being just unlucky with faulty spindles.

I do a lot of deep carvings and cut outs. I make sure the chuck is clean the the red lines are lined up and that there in no wiggle in the bit.

Lol so much for my theory!!!

Ike:p

henry1
09-21-2008, 06:37 AM
Is there a write up how to take it of ,,or how to change the part

Amonaug
09-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Is there a write up how to take it of ,,or how to change the part

You can order the QC changing tools from LHR or rjustice. It's a square allen wrench/ratchet and a flat wrench. The sqaure allen goes into where the flexshaft is and you rotate it counter-clockwise. The flat wrench goes just above the chuck and rotates clockwise. You may have to heat the QC up to loosen the locktite.

Doing a searc for "QC replacement" using the quotes should get you more info.

Amonaug
09-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Lol so much for my theory!!!

Ike:p

Actually I take it back and your theory may still hold water. Using the 1.31 control logic I did some deep cutouts (1") using just 1 pass in aspen which is a very soft wood. Now a QC that I haven't had any problems with for months now is showing dimples on the adapter after only a couple carves. I think the 1 pass cuts that are kind of deep are putting too much stress on the QC.

I'll definitely be adjusting the cut depth setting from now on to do several passes after I replace the QC's on both my machines :(

And I always make sure the QC is clean between each bit change and lubed.

09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
I was using liquid wrench with cerflon to lubricate the collets for easy release. After running out one day i started using regular old wd-40, it seems to work really well although i dont think it is reccomended, thats just my take on the situation. Also if you have the flat wrench for the QC, it works to give it a little turn if the bit is stubborn and it comes out great. I also think using the quick changer tool on a stubborn bit puts way too much stress on the QC and the collet. Someone else posted about that recently too. I just change all my bits by hand. Although timely, i sometimes take the whole QC off for cleaning just to make sure its totally cleaned and lightly lubricated. Matt.

oldjoe
09-25-2008, 01:51 PM
I have over 150 hours on my QC and have had little problems with it. Of course I rairly use it to do cut outs with it. It always seems that after I have done a cut out the bit is usually harder to get out. And I always clean the chuck and keep it lubed with good ole fashioned 3-1 oil.

Digitalwoodshop
09-25-2008, 02:03 PM
I think the cut outs taking the full bite do put more stress on the bit. I should load 1.131 soon.... I am done cutting for now and into 4 x 4's and painting....

AL

uberaxe
09-25-2008, 09:07 PM
I was using liquid wrench with cerflon to lubricate the collets for easy release. After running out one day i started using regular old wd-40, it seems to work really well although i dont think it is reccomended, thats just my take on the situation. Also if you have the flat wrench for the QC, it works to give it a little turn if the bit is stubborn and it comes out great. I also think using the quick changer tool on a stubborn bit puts way too much stress on the QC and the collet. Someone else posted about that recently too. I just change all my bits by hand. Although timely, i sometimes take the whole QC off for cleaning just to make sure its totally cleaned and lightly lubricated. Matt.

How are you taking the QC off?

09-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Uberaxe, Taking off the QC is relatively easy, theres a PDF in the trouble shooting section, or by contacting LHR. You do need the the QC changer tools which you can get from Forum member Rjustice or from LHR. Just remember to have some Locktite on hand to put on the threads when refastening the QC.

Kenm810
09-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Blue LocTite --- not the Red it's more permanent http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

Technicow
09-26-2008, 09:51 PM
My observation is that this system is based on the quick change bit system for routers offered at Sears (Craftsman). The problem I see is that you don't run a router at 20,000 rpm for 10 hours per cut. The system is leveraging parts which were not designed for this use. The parts / design were not intended for this use is my guess. If it was, we wouldn't see this issue so much.

That said, it is a great idea if you swap bits a lot. I personally don't. I would like to see a QC option which uses set screws which you can loctite in and run one bit a LOT without the wobbling/wear issue.

I now have a new error so (*sigh*) off to post a plea on input.....