PDA

View Full Version : Can You Carve Small Items

FROZENKNUCKLES
09-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Hello to all
Well I bought a compucarve and I am waiting to receive it in the mail, and was wondering while I was waiting .Has any one tried carving on small round items. I do allot of game call making on my lathe and there about 1 inch in diam and was wondering if anyone was able to use this machine to carve logos on anything that size. or if any one had any ideas how you would go about doing something like that
thanks jc

mtylerfl
09-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Hello,

Welcome.

That's probably too small to get a good result with the stock 1/16" tapered carving bit. rjustice sells smaller bits that would work with the CarveWright - maybe you could try that. Sounds to me like that's a task better suited to a laser engraver for making logos on something that small.

In any case if you want to try it anyway, you would first need to make a jig with a round recess for your round piece to sit within, and figure out a way to affix it extremely firmly while keeping it flush with the top surface of the jig. (The jig must be long enough to be able to keep it under the pressure rollers at all times during a carve.

We're excited for you to get your new machine!

FROZENKNUCKLES
09-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the help, I looked into the laser engraver deal and they are far too expensive for my little shop . But I thought I would ask. I know I have allot of reading on this machine to learn what it can and cant do but can you tell me is it possible to cut patterns outs as well as carving .
thanks agains or the help

Amonaug
09-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Yes it can cut patterns, do 2 sided carvings, etc. With a good bit of work it can even do small sculptures :)

Ike
09-11-2008, 01:52 PM
JC, I would think you could with a sled and or use the rollers. I would think the sled would work the best sense you would cutting such a small item. I have made letters as small as 3/4 of an inch. All you can do is try, but with a sled.

Of course I could be wrong, maybe others could help?

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
09-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Where are you located?

I bet the right pattern person could make a curved surface that you could put in as a double sided pattern and a Maple Board like the Trout project being a double sided and rounded project. You could finish the blank with sandpaper not needing the lathe.

The carving bit would form each half of the round and at the same time insert the logo.....

Used Laser Engravers or a local friend is another option. I have 2 used laser engravers.

Changing the style of the ones you make now putting a flat spot on them and the logo on the flat spot would work. I have a friend and he is a Duck person and has some that were done with a hand rotary tool. We looked into the Laser Option. He wanted the Ducks Unlimited logo on them and that was a show stopper....

The President of Ducks Unlimited has a house in my area same with the Buck Knife family.

AL

Bet it ends up on the "Featured Project" List someday...... Then everyone could make them..... Not sure how the inside is done...

FROZENKNUCKLES
09-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Im in denver
when i called carve wright yesterday and spoke to the tech support they mentioned a sled as well.i dont need allot on the calls my call company is rise together custom calls so i was thinking if i could put a r/t and maybe a duck head. I know that a laser engraver would be much better for doing this. but i figured for a tenth of the price on a laser engraver might be able to pull it off, if i were to try a sled and secure the sled and practiced on some wood dowels 1 " and 3/4 " diam i would find out if it will work , is there any threads about using a sled and making one ?
whats the smallest picture any one has produced with the compucarve ?
plus i actully bought this for other reasons but if i can use it to do logos to that would be great if i cant get a logo on my calls i was planning on making boxes to hold the calls and i could put the logo on that to.

mtylerfl
09-11-2008, 03:55 PM
"whats the smallest picture any one has produced with the compucarve ? "

I carved a dimensional relief of a Large Mouth Bass on a yo-yo once - came out fair, but of course a lot of detail was lost - too small. It was about an 1¼" in size.

I took a photo for you...

Amonaug
09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Im in denver
when i called carve wright yesterday and spoke to the tech support they mentioned a sled as well.i dont need allot on the calls my call company is rise together custom calls so i was thinking if i could put a r/t and maybe a duck head. I know that a laser engraver would be much better for doing this. but i figured for a tenth of the price on a laser engraver might be able to pull it off, if i were to try a sled and secure the sled and practiced on some wood dowels 1 " and 3/4 " diam i would find out if it will work , is there any threads about using a sled and making one ?
whats the smallest picture any one has produced with the compucarve ?
plus i actully bought this for other reasons but if i can use it to do logos to that would be great if i cant get a logo on my calls i was planning on making boxes to hold the calls and i could put the logo on that to.

Try issue 7 of the Tips & Tricks for sleds, etc

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

FROZENKNUCKLES
09-11-2008, 04:16 PM
thanks everyone for pointing me int eh right direction , its good to know that this forum is here for support.
maybe if i get it figured out then i can post some pictures .. thanks again everyone

fwharris
09-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Im in denver

Frozen,

Another Colorado carver duck hunter!!

Welcome to the forum and the CC/CW world.

Teal season opens Saturday!! Happy carving!

henry1
09-14-2008, 08:16 PM
How big can you go so the probe can take a pattern of it on the sled or how large can the probe do W-H Lenght:)

rjustice
09-14-2008, 09:52 PM
FROZEN,
If you are interested just shoot me an email for info on 1/8 engraving tools, and bit adapters. Just click on my email below and request info.

Thanks for thinking of me mtylerfl !

Ron

gashawk
09-14-2008, 10:05 PM
It seems possible to merge text into heads, but I am some where on the learning curve. I carved pattern with a Fordom, took about two hours; The CarveWright can do 4 both sides in 2 hours. My patterns still need some work.

have a good day,
karl