PDA

View Full Version : Glue Up Panels / Wide Lumber Prices

peter_l
09-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi all,

I am making signs, clocks, etc with my CW. The problem I am finding right now is a decent, affordable supply of 12" wide wood.

I can buy 12" poplar for $6.00/foot, but that is pretty expensive. I can buy 12" knotty pine for cheaper, but it does not carve very well with the knots.

I have access to some cheap 1"x4" oak boards. Would there be any issues in glueing up these panels to make a 12" wide board and carve into?

We have been using glued up panels for ages, but I am not sure if the glue area will have a negative issue when the CW carves through it.

Also, if anyone have a line on some decent wide, clear boards, please let me know. I am in Southern California.

Thanks

Pete

MikeMcCoy
09-11-2008, 11:51 AM
The glue line won't have any impact and glue ups work fine. Even better (if you have the capability) is to resaw your stock and use book matched boards.

supershingler
09-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Peter
I Use Glued Up Panels All The Time

The Glue Has No Effect What SO Ever

The Only Thing You Need To Watch For Is That Y Our Panels Are Flat When Your Done

We Have A Hardwood Dealer Were I Can Buy Glued Up Panels In Several Species.

You Might Try Your Local Custom Cabinet Builder
He Might Be Able To Give You A Supplier You Your Area

Good Luck

Kendall

cnsranch
09-11-2008, 12:43 PM
The attached was made with 4" panels.

A real benefit with glue-ups is avoiding your finished project warping (assuming you alternate your boards) - a 12" board will do that, especially after you've made it thinner during a carve.

Digitalwoodshop
09-11-2008, 02:13 PM
I did the participation plaques from panels from the big box store. They even had 3 quality levels. They were hard pine.... I would try sanding sealer first to prevent the dark stain areas.

AL

Ike
09-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi all,

I am making signs, clocks, etc with my CW. The problem I am finding right now is a decent, affordable supply of 12" wide wood.

I can buy 12" poplar for $6.00/foot, but that is pretty expensive. I can buy 12" knotty pine for cheaper, but it does not carve very well with the knots.

I have access to some cheap 1"x4" oak boards. Would there be any issues in glueing up these panels to make a 12" wide board and carve into?

We have been using glued up panels for ages, but I am not sure if the glue area will have a negative issue when the CW carves through it.

Also, if anyone have a line on some decent wide, clear boards, please let me know. I am in Southern California.

Thanks

Pete

Pete, remember if you use dowels or biscuits not to drill or cut too deep. Otherwise you will have a void, the best thing is to just edge glue it. For 12" board I use Gorilla glue and without dowels etc. Now for larger signs using 1" or 2" stock I use dowels and then make sure I don't over drill the hole.

Once in awhile I cut through where the dowel is and drilled correctly all you see is the cut out dowel!

Ike

SandBuoy
09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Ike you using the white gorilla glue. I tried the brwonish stuff and didn't like it. But the new white I found at the Black & Decker outlet was fantasic for glueing up stock. a lot of the stuff I do is glued up stock. Machine doesn't mind it a bit.

cnsranch
09-11-2008, 04:35 PM
I used biscuits in the first couple of signs I made, but a thought occurred to me...

A break in any wood project, from tables to signs, will rarely happen at a properly glued joint, unless there's undue stress at the joint - that's why dowels and biscuits were invented (by some guy that's now really rich). If you need proof, take a couple of scraps of wood, glue them up, and let them dry thoroughly. Then, break the piece of wood over your knee - 9 out of ten times the wood will break somewhere other than the glue-up.

That said, I stopped using biscuits on my jointed projects, and have had no problems. Besides, I was getting tired of stressing over whether the biscuits would be revealed in the carve :p

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ike
09-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Ike you using the white gorilla glue. I tried the brwonish stuff and didn't like it. But the new white I found at the Black & Decker outlet was fantasic for glueing up stock. a lot of the stuff I do is glued up stock. Machine doesn't mind it a bit.

No, just use the regular Gorilla glue, you must wet down the edges to activate the glue. It is messy though and I always use gloves to keep it off my hands. The stuff stays on for weeks!

CNS Ranch I agree yes but with bigger signs dowels will help with warping and keeping the boards even. But if you do a lousy glue job it doesn't matter! Not to mention if you don't properly square the edges you will have gaps! I don't like biscuits and sold my biscuit jointer.

Just wanted to make Pete aware if he did use dowels etc. what could happen from my experience. Whenever I can I just edge glue my projects and add supports to the back. Then if I am making furniture I use dowels, but with the improved glues of today dowels may be a thing of the past!

Ike

TerryT
09-11-2008, 06:50 PM
This was a three piece glueup. Just joint the edges for a good fit. No need for dowels or bisquits for anything that will fit in the carvewright (up to 14.5 inches) unless it is part of an even larger glueup such as a table top, etc.

brdad
09-11-2008, 07:03 PM
The other day I was at Lowe's and saw some finger jointed pine panels, but these were edge glued so the finger joints were visible on the face of the board. Could be a neat look for the right project.

Dan-Woodman
09-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Short dowels and bisciuts are more for alignment than strength. Alternate the grain --cup up then cup down on glued up panals , and have excellant glue joints and small projects will be fine.
let the sawdust fly. later Daniel

peter_l
09-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks all.

I have used glued up panels for lots of things, and I am glad I can use them with the CW.

I plan to use just glue on a clean, jointed edge. Long grain to long grain is plenty strong for what I am planning to do.

Thanks for the replies.

Pete

benluz
09-13-2008, 07:20 PM
When glue domestic woods gluing long grain to long grain using nice sharp joiner knives to square and straighten you stock, no biscuits or dowels are needed. In fact there is evidence over time they weaken the joint. This is not my opinion, but fact and is well documented. Biscuits are primarily used for joining dissimilar material ,such as hardwood to particle board ro for gluing end grain to long grain.I have never had a joint fail in 20 years of gluing panels.
Always check you moisture content of the woods to ensure good results. So, glue away it is the best way to obtain a wide panel that is far more likely to remain flat.
Thanks,
Ben

TurtleCove
09-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi all,

Pete

Hi Pete. I sell wide boards in all different species. True boards...not glue ups. Pretty much any thickness, too. Also, I can resaw for bookmatching if you'd like.

-dirk
www.thinboards.com

mtylerfl
09-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi Pete. I sell wide boards in all different species. True boards...not glue ups. Pretty much any thickness, too. Also, I can resaw for bookmatching if you'd like.

-dirk
www.thinboards.com (http://www.thinboards.com)

Hi Dirk,

What state are you shipping from? I went to your website and could not find any contact info, address, etc.

I'll probably place an order pretty soon. I noticed the prices are based on 6" widths. What is the max. board width you can produce(not counting glue-ups!;))?

Amonaug
09-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi Dirk,

What state are you shipping from? I went to your website and could not find any contact info, address, etc.

I'll probably place an order pretty soon. I noticed the prices are based on 6" widths. What is the max. board width you can produce(not counting glue-ups!;))?

If you go to his ABout US link it says he is in Northern IL

Digitalwoodshop
09-25-2008, 12:45 PM
I saw Norm show a table he had done years ago and you can now see the biscuit marks as indentations. He sanded the table top while the moist swelled up biscuit was inside and 2 years later there was now a divot in the shape of the biscuit. He went to a true flat edge or in some projects or used a wavy edge bit for more glue surface.

AL

mtylerfl
09-25-2008, 06:14 PM
If you go to his ABout US link it says he is in Northern IL

Thanks, Kevin. I see that now. Appreciate you pointing that out for me.

Audie
09-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Has anyone had ANY luck contacting Dirk at thinboards.com? I have tried through his website and PM through this forum. To date....no response.

www.go3d.us
09-28-2008, 07:20 PM
I think those knots make the carved object unique. I don't think the glue will have any effect on the machine.

HT

Lin
09-28-2008, 08:24 PM
I didn't check to see the difference in prices between "Thinboards" and the two places I sometimes purchase hardwood from...but I have never had issues with either of these two vendors in placing orders or receiving my order in a timely manner. The hardwood I have received from them both has always been just what I would expect. I buy locally when I can but I do at least three or four times a year place an order with the below folks. Check them out and see what you think.
Lin

http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/

http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com/

Gunner
10-01-2008, 10:03 AM
I never did trust the idea of using buscuits. I have always used dowels in gluing up furniture, cabinets, etc. About 6 mo. ago I started using a joiner made by Festool. It cuts a mortise into which is inserted a solid beech tenon. Very tight and strong joint. If anyone is interested the site is www.festoolusa.com. Kinda pricey, but for me , well worth the investment.