PDA

View Full Version : freehand patterns?

jdtamyers
09-11-2008, 01:13 AM
hi, my name is john and i am thinking about a purchase ( CW ). i have down loaded the software but i cannot understand how to do simple freehand design or drawings. also, i heard there is a new model coming out, maybe i should wait as i have read lots of bad reviews about this machine, though it seems a lot of it is pilot error?? anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,

john

jdtamyers@juno.com

JVallario
09-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Hi John
Welcome to the forums. I purchased my CW about 2 months ago so I'm a newbe as well. Other than my dumb user mistakes I haven't had any problems with mine. I am very happy with my machine and the forum members help overcoming any issues or helping with questions. I have yet to need to contact customer support for any issue. As for free hand drawings I believe they are done in programs like Corel draw and imported to the design software.
I haven't heard of any new models coming out though. I believe the last update was on the software. Where did you hear about it?

In my opinion the forums are invaluable in making sure you don't start off on the wrong foot. The folks here are the best when it comes to helping others.

Ike
09-11-2008, 01:45 PM
John, John is correct wow that is strange! You can design signs and patterns in Corel. Yes the machine has had it's ups and downs and yes you can attribute most errors to users mis-use. The machine is a computer built into the carving machine. It is a all in one unit, unlike other CNC machines where a computer needs to be attached or a separate operating unit.

So you need to keep it clean and well lubed. Which makes total sense block the moving parts you get errors. You might think wow that is a lot of work? Not really just think of the value of the unit verse the cost of other machines. Not to mention the software is a dream to use. With other CNC machines you must have external software and depending on what you are using the machine for could cost you $250.00 to $7500.00 and up!

As forth to a new model that has been a rumor for some time. The cool thing is LHR continues to update the software without cost to us. The software updates have been improving the operations of the CW and have corrected errors.

Not to knock Sears but, I would go with the brand name Carvewright. Little Redwood shop sells them for a good price. Not to mention Amazon.com the other day was offering a free probe with the purchase of a machine! Of course you can buy it directly from LHR! I have owned both Sears and Carvewright and the brand name has worked the best.

This machine has come a long way and is well worth the price! Not saying you won't need to replace a part or two down the road! Just remember with proper care will last a long time!

Ike

jdtamyers
09-11-2008, 02:38 PM
thanks John / Ike,

Carvewright II?

i read that in a product review posted on amazon, see below:

[B]Just wait for a while until the bugs are iron out, February 23, 2008
By Mr. David Hoang "daytraitors" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews

The CarveWright isn't ready for prime time just yet. It's got serious reliability issues, and anyone who uses this for more than 50 hours could be in for some surprises. The fact that Sears is jumping on board casts a vote of confidence, but it remains to be seen what Sears will do to help improve the Compucarve.

Save your money and wait until the CarveWright 2 comes out next year. The next version will be faster and more reliable and probably cheaper.
:confused:

thanks for the info on corel draw, i will look at it now,

john

mtylerfl
09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Hello John,

Welcome, and thanks for your questions.

The rumor about a new machine is just that - a rumor. I don't think anyone outside the company has any first-hand knowledge of whether a new machine is coming out or not. Ongoing improvements to the existing model (primarily via the software, but a couple hardware changes too) were well-known, however.

As far as Sears CompuCarve vs CarveWright - they are the same machine, manufactured at the same location - just the nameplate is different. The reason I think some folks got the idea they are different is that they may have purchased a machine from Sears before certain changes in manufacturing were implemented. The newly manufactured machines are all the same.

Ike
09-11-2008, 02:54 PM
thanks John / Ike,

Carvewright II?

i read that in a product review posted on amazon, see below:

[B]Just wait for a while until the bugs are iron out, February 23, 2008
By Mr. David Hoang "daytraitors" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews

The CarveWright isn't ready for prime time just yet. It's got serious reliability issues, and anyone who uses this for more than 50 hours could be in for some surprises. The fact that Sears is jumping on board casts a vote of confidence, but it remains to be seen what Sears will do to help improve the Compucarve.

Save your money and wait until the CarveWright 2 comes out next year. The next version will be faster and more reliable and probably cheaper.
:confused:

thanks for the info on corel draw, i will look at it now,

john

John, I wouldn't bet the farm on that review! First off who is this guy and what authority does he have to make that statement? Then to boldly say even cheaper to buy!

The software has been the key and as forth the a CW 2 well they have improved the Z motor, cut motor, and many more parts. The software controls the action of the machine and LHR has improved the operation of the machine through the software.

I heard rumor of a new machine that was a commercial machine. But don't hold your breath for a CW2, the beta units have been phased out and the machines of 2 years ago have been updated and improved to the machine today. As forth to the price going down? The wife bought corn on the cob the other day and I pay less for it last week! So I would guess as time goes on the price will only go up!

The cool thing it has remain the same price for over 2 years. Check out other CNC makers like Shopbot their prices have gone up $3000.00 and up. So of course it is up to you buy a CW. If you do it will change your life!

Ike

Ike
09-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Hello John,

Welcome, and thanks for your questions.

The rumor about a new machine is just that - a rumor. I don't think anyone outside the company has any first-hand knowledge of whether a new machine is coming out or not. Ongoing improvements to the existing model (primarily via the software, but a couple hardware changes too) were well-known, however.

As far as Sears CompuCarve vs CarveWright - they are the same machine, manufactured at the same location - just the nameplate is different. The reason I think some folks got the idea they are different is that they may have purchased a machine from Sears before certain changes in manufacturing were implemented. The newly manufactured machines are all the same.

Michael, I only said, I preferred the CW over the CC because LHR has better QC with the CW. Was told by a couple people from LHR they test and check every CW and the CC is not and is sent directly to Sears. Yes they are the same machine with the same warranty. I never said they were a different machine.

Sorry, should have made that clearer.

Ike

mtylerfl
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Micheal, I only said, I preferred the CW over the CC because LHR has better QC with the CW. Was told by a couple people from LHR they test and check every CW and the CC is not and is sent directly to Sears. Yes they are the same machine with the same warranty. I never said they were a different machine.

Sorry, should have made that clearer.

Ike

No problem, Ike. That's good to hear you were told they test every machine. That must be a quite a job to be able to do that!

Digitalwoodshop
09-11-2008, 08:15 PM
As far as free handing projects. I needed a outline of the state of PA so I took a poor quality .jpg and made it a .ptn. Then I just placed it on a 14 inch board very big. I used the line segment and connect line tool to just place nodes all around the outline then cleaned up the position. Making sure I got the first and last connected to make a complete path. I then selected the 1/8 inch bit and selected the depth of .1 and now I have the outline. When I shrunk it down it looks good.

Erase the .ptn and you have a .mpc with a trace or free hand of your item.

With the bear I broke the outline and free handed the mountains and connected the ends and I was able to use the cut path.

AL

Jvicaretti
09-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I am selling items I carved at a show this Saturday for the first time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am really new at this but I want to make a go of it.

Dan-Woodman
09-11-2008, 08:57 PM
If you have a printer , print some business cards for future business.
and hope it don't rain if it's outside. Our town is having it's 150 th selabration this weekend and it's suppose to rain all weekend.
later Daniel

Jeff_Birt
09-11-2008, 09:28 PM
maybe i should wait as i have read lots of bad reviews about this machine, though it seems a lot of it is pilot error?? anyone have any suggestions?

I'm the type that always looks at reviews too. A few years ago I came to the conclusion that they can be useful if properly screened. Here are a few things I always think about when reading a review.

What type of product (technical) detail does the review contain? If a reviewer details an issue or problem they had and some reasonable course they took to try and get it resolved then it might be worth noting. If on the other hand if their story is full of drama or nonsensical statements I discard it.

Does it seem like the reviewer bought something within their technological comfort zone. If they didn't and seemed to not take the time to learn about what they were getting into then their opinion carries less weight. On the other hand if a individual made a real effort but the tech support and/or manual was poor then it is worth paying heed to.

Did the person buy the product from the site they are writing the review on? Some sites will tell you this, others won't. If someone did not by their product from Sears, or Amazon, etc., why are they reviewing it there (do they even have one?)

My favorite review on Sears site was the guy who said something like, "It was so loud, I had to take it back!". Obviously some poor soul who never owned a power tool in his life. Not every piece of technology is right for everyone. Some folks simply won't take the time to learn how to use them. My mother, who will turn 80 in early next year, did not like the microwave we got her in the mid 1980's. She had no use for it, didn't want to take the time to learn to use it, didn't think it worked right, etc. it took 15 years (they still have the same microwave), but she did finally decide to learn how to use it and loves it now. My folks just bought a fancy new electric oven/range. It's got the convection oven and the works. This time Mom took a bit of time and learned how to make use of it and loves it.

My point is, I think that most folks who honestly give it a try, and take the time to learn about it will do fine with the CarveWright machine. There are users on the forum of every age and background who can attest to that. In my opinion you will be hard pressed to find another company like CarveWright who tries so hard to do right by their customers.

castingman
09-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Jef,

Well put !

Audie
09-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Excellent comments Jeff!

The CW is sometimes a love/hate relationship....totally love it when everything is in order and saw dust is flying....hate it when the machine comes up with an error code or a part fails, 90% of the time due to user (me) screw up! Ahhhh but everytime a project is completed and family, friends and strangers comment with genuine amazement I am once again lovin' my CW! The fine folks on this forum as well as the support provided by the CW techs and staff make this a number one machine!

Audie

jdtamyers
09-11-2008, 11:00 PM
So what happens to that piece of cocobolo hardwood that was being carved when the machine shuts down with an error message? is it ruined?

john:roll:

Amonaug
09-12-2008, 12:15 AM
So what happens to that piece of cocobolo hardwood that was being carved when the machine shuts down with an error message? is it ruined?

Depends on the error and what went wrong. If the bit plunged into the wood it's probably ruined. If it's an axis stall then it can probably be recovered in several ways.

Ike
09-12-2008, 01:26 AM

John, what kind of error are you speaking of? Like mentioned if the bit has plunged most likely project ruined. Myself have stopped to change a cover switch due to continued stopping to close cover. Then put the partly carved project back into machine and it starts at the same starting point and finishes the project flawlessly!

Even if you need to send the machine in for repair, save your started project and when the machine is operational start it again.

Ike;)

jdtamyers
09-12-2008, 11:40 PM
sorry i haven't resumed this thread sooner but i have been on call and working too many hours.

i don't yet own the CW so i don't know of error messages, just that they occur. if a problem causes me to have to remove the board and it is undamaged, can it be restarted, once any problem has been addressed?

thanks,

john

brdad
09-13-2008, 05:43 AM
You can usually put the undamaged board back in and start the carve from new, and it will just think it's carving where it already has. The worst part of this is that you have to start from the beginning, it'd be nice if you could tell it to start the carve at 55% or 72% or somewhere just before where you left off.

Sometimes you can speed up the process by removing items from the project that have already been carved and load that onto the card and carve that.