PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Image Capability

redg8r
09-09-2008, 03:41 AM
Hi All,

Been following this machine for a long time & preparing to purchase, however I have a question.

Is it possible to place a jpeg object in the software & allow it to "mirror" itself to cut 2 parts that can be glued/joined to produce a truly 3 dimensional part?

For example if I had an asymmetrical piece like a fishing lure body, would it be possible to import a jpeg of half the body, then let the software "mirror" the opposing half to where I could lift both pieces off the board & glue them together to get a 2 pc lure body?

Thanks for the insight.

All the best,
Jerry

bjbethke
09-09-2008, 04:21 AM
You would need the image in a PNG format, then remove the background and carve it as a two side carving. No need for the glue up.

see MPC

redg8r
09-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks so much for the quick reply.

So there is a function in the software to allow "2 sided carving" that will reverse/mirror the PNG?

I see your point about flipping the board to get a "single 3d part" but could I simply swap the board out with a new one instead of "flipping" it?

It may seem counterproductive or inefficient, but there is a reason I need 2 pieces in this situation.

Thanks again.

Jeff_Birt
09-09-2008, 10:16 AM
I would recommend downloading the trial version of the software, reading through the software's help file and going through all the tutorials and Tips&Tricks available at http://www.carvewright.com/ . These will answer most of your basic questions about how the machine operates and allow you to get a better idea if it will do what you want.

No doubt you will still have some questions but the above will give you a good start.

The software/machine will allow you to set up two sided carvings and prompt you to flip your board to the correct side. What you put on each side is up to you. There are tools to take a pattern and rotate, mirror, and scale it to your hearts desire.

bjbethke
09-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Yes you can. And the CarveWright will cut it out too. Use the "Cut and Paste" function, you can flip and rotate the PTN any way you want to. It's a great machine, my machine is being sent in for an overhaul. LHR is a great company. My machine is still under warranty. I have not tested this PTN, but it should work.

You would need your board seven inches longer then this MPC to keep the board under the rollers. This is a PTN for a fifteen inch fish, but you could make it any size. Welcome to the forum and the world of CarvWrighting.

Kenm810
09-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi Jerry, Welcome to the CW Forum

BJB is right, the two sided carves works great. Plus you can mirror the carving and glue the halves together.
I did it about a year ago as a two sided project.
I mirrored the lure, and then had the machine carve a hollow in the back side of each half.
I put some #8 shot in the void for a bit of weight and a little rattle as the lure traveled through the water.
I used BJB’s posted .MPC as an example for the lure.
Here's Something to play around with

bjbethke
09-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the MPC Ken; you could add a plastic disk under its chin so it would dive. :rolleyes:

redg8r
09-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Hey, thanks a ton fellas, very helpful information.