PDA

View Full Version : adjusting sandpaper belts

supershingler
09-08-2008, 10:32 PM
I just got done with a carve that was 7.5 x 63" piece of 3/4" red oak it is a side leg to a fireplace front that i m making

when i tried to load the second side i kept getting error message and started over several times.
upon closer inspections it looks like my right belt has slid a little to the keyboard side of the cw. i did a searc for adjusting sanding belts but didnt find an answer. any help will be appreciated as it need to get the second one done asap

i blow and vacuum the machine out after every carve and lubricate it regular
is there some cleaning that i need to do to cure this?

thanks

kendall

Jvicaretti
09-09-2008, 06:41 AM
instructions are attached. You may need to take it apart like in these instructions and give it a good cleaning then replace the belt. Possibly something is stuck under the belt that made it track off.

Jeff_Birt
09-09-2008, 07:57 AM
For future reference, the very first post stickied to the top of the troubleshooting section has many such PDF's covering various issues. It is the best place to start.

Also, if directing someone to one of the PDF's in the troubleshooting section please just post a link to the post it is in. That way as the PDFs are updated by CW we can just put a fresh copy in the main post and all links from other posts will still be valid, but most importantly everything will point to the latest version of the information.

supershingler
09-09-2008, 01:33 PM
i just removed my tracking belts and cleaned them and upon reinstalling them and moving them back and forth they still track wrong.

i just ordered a new set of belts but was wondering if i should look for something else that might be causing this to happen

any help appreciated

kendall

Jeff_Birt
09-09-2008, 01:36 PM
If the head (machines head, not yours :)) is unlevel it can cause tracking problems.

Digitalwoodshop
09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
As you place the board in the machine and crank the head down it is very important to look at the left guide that the board is riding against. I always use my left and right fingers to feel the gap at that point on each side of the keypad as you stand at the machine. A board placed with a gap on one end is like turning your wheels of your car up against the curb and trying to drive. Something gives and it usually is the belt moving over. At least that is my take on the moving belt problems.... Boards and especially LONG boards placed slightly at an angle will cause this. The Front belt is usually the one that moves as the board motion measuring is moving the board from the front to back first.

AL

supershingler
09-09-2008, 04:01 PM
i call lhr and the tech thought it might be low head pressure
i just bought a scale(ive always been afraid to stand on these as they always tell the truth).
he said pressure should be about 80 lbs so i will check that tonight

i did learn one thing though and that is to pull your sandpaper tracks out and blow the dust out of them once in a while. i was amazed how much dust was in them. i will make it a point to do this every 25 to 30 hours or even more often depending on what im carving. I blow out the cw after everycarve and thought i was doing a good job of it live and learn i guess

thanks for everyones help

kendall

supershingler
09-09-2008, 09:18 PM
CW back up and running after a good cleaning and lubrication

it seem that most of my problem was lack of head pressure

fought a board for about 20 min before throwing it into the corner and cutting a new one. second one worked without a hitch. still dont know why the other one didnt want to work.

well for all you newbies out there clean clean clean it makes the carver work 100% better.

kendall