PDA

View Full Version : cannot select cut path consistantly

JVallario
09-08-2008, 08:39 AM
I've noticed that I cant always get a cut path on a pattern. I thought it was pattern specific but now ruled that out. At first I was trying to lay out 2 patterns on 1 board and the software would not allow the second cut out path. After trying several patterns I found that even some single patterns I had added cut paths to before didn't have the option later. I highlited the cut path and or the pattern in the carving list on the left - even highlited both but the option for a cut path doesn't come up. This is not consistant - I have put cut paths on boards with multiple patterns. ANyone else experienced this?

mtylerfl
09-08-2008, 09:15 AM
John,

Try this little trick - rotate the pattern in question by 1° then click the Outline Tool, then the Cut Path tool. Let me know if that works for you.

Otherwise, post the troublesome mpc (unless it contains commercial patterns, then don't post it).

JVallario
09-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Michael -
That trick worked on the purchased pattern. On a wine goblet - one I can post it did not work. Tried grouping the paths and merging as well. I think it will come up attached to this message.

atauer
09-08-2008, 10:07 AM
John,

I have taken a look at the pattern and it looks great. How large of a project are you placing it on? If you could post the .MPC file that you are having trouble with, we could get a better view of what is occurring.

JVallario
09-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Ok here it is

atauer
09-08-2008, 10:45 AM
John,

After playing with the file, I found that the issue in this case is caused by the size of the pattern. I enlarged the pattern and was able to get the cut path option to highlight. I'm not really sure why enlarging it helps, but it does seem to resolve this situation. Looks like I get to research a little more.

Any ideas Michael?

Amonaug
09-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Something screwy about that pattern. I did "outline pattern" on it and it created 7 small paths to form the whole outline. Since none of these paths are closed you can't apply a "cut path" to it.

Scale the pattern up just a tad and "outline pattern" forms one continous path that "cut Path" can be applied to.

JVallario
09-08-2008, 11:18 AM
John,

After playing with the file, I found that the issue in this case is caused by the size of the pattern. I enlarged the pattern and was able to get the cut path option to highlight. I'm not really sure why enlarging it helps, but it does seem to resolve this situation. Looks like I get to research a little more.

Any ideas Michael?

I'll be dipped - you're right. I increased the size and could add a cut path. You can then reduce both the path and pattern and keep the path. Weird.

atauer
09-08-2008, 12:12 PM
I'll be dipped - you're right.

John,

Glad to be of assistance. Keep in mind that us technicians are always here for assistance if needed. The guys on the forum are great, too! Between the two sources, any problem that you encounter should get a quick resolution.

mtylerfl
09-08-2008, 01:44 PM
John,

Any ideas Michael?

Alex,

On another thread, Jeff Birt mentioned that a possible cause for this kind of behaviour might be due to the pattern maker not using the "Round Edge" tool (in PE) or the "Floor Edges" option (if it was imported as a graphic).

If the pattern maker forgot to floor the edges to zero before saving it, then a "jagged" bottom edge can result and throw off the outline tool (especially) if the pattern is reduced to a certain level.

That could cause "missing pixels" in the perimeter border so that it appears broken or disjointed to the software. I suspect that enlarging the pattern sort of "joins" the jagged bottom edge enough where the perimeter "looks"continuous for the Outline Tool to function properly.

Make sense?

atauer
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Makes perfect sense to me now. That does explain things better.

thanks again.