PDA

View Full Version : Y tracking

bjbethke
09-07-2008, 02:24 PM
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8099

I’m still having problems with my Y tracking. It started when I updated to 1.130, went back to 1.126 but now it messes up with both programs. I found this post by Doc Wheeler

If there is a very gradual shift of the carving (and assuming that the board tracks straight), the problem would probably be in the electronics

The board stays in the tracks, I do not get any errors, The Y belt is in good shape, and it is cleaned, found the left side Y truck bearings were a little loose and I adjusted that but it did not fix my problem. Checked all cables and they are OK.

"(08-01-2008

DocWheeler
Senior Member Join Date: Feb 2007

Something to think about at work

nissinxx,

If there is a very gradual shift of the carving (and assuming that the board tracks straight), the problem would probably be in the electronics. If it jumps a belt-cog width then you need to clean the belt and drive gear, and tighten the machine screw that holds the idler in the back-side of the machine. The idler is on spring tension, but the machine screw holds the idler so that the motor does not pull the idler so much that it can jump a cog.

That is my understanding and experience - I hope this gives you some food for thought.

Questions?

What part of the electronics can cause this? Could it be the;
Board Sensor?

Controller?

Flash Card?

Display control wiring?

The Y Position sensor checks OK, checked several times and the readings match all the times.

All carvings work OK until about 50% of the carving, Y truck moves smoothly before carving. When Y position drifts off and Power is shut off, the movement is jerky for about a minute or so, then movement is OK again. And if I start the carveing again it will carve OK about half way through and then mess up again. I have made several carvings with different MPC’s. Flashed the Card several times and switched between both 130 and 126, it will work some times with 1.126. I can not get a good carving with the 1.130 update.

I am sending LHR an e-mail and will call them Monday.

Need Help!!!

Jeff_Birt
09-07-2008, 02:32 PM
That amount of shifting would lead me to believe that your Y-motor encoder is missing pulses or that you have a busted gear in the Y-drive. You can try taking the back cover of the motor heat sink off and see if you can gently clean the encoder.

Sounds like it is time to call CW about a replacement.

TerryT
09-07-2008, 03:38 PM
I agree with Jeff. My machine did the same thing and I replaced the Y motor. But first try this.... Turn machine off, and unplug it. Format your card and reflash the machine logic. Reload your project and try it again. If it is the same then order a Y motor.

bjbethke
09-07-2008, 09:28 PM
The Y-motor encoder had some saw dust in it. I cleaned it and also cleaned the Z-motor encoder, but now I got other errors.

Z-Stall Error, Check Board sensor error, load board, and ASSERT Macro Failed Error 116. PRESS STOP. Then I get Please Place Board, Then I get Measuring Board, Clear Board Sensor. When I check the board sensor, it reads 153.

Not sure what the 116 error is about.

I reformated my card and tried both 1.130 and 1.126, both did not work.

I did not see any broken parts, See Photos.

Digitalwoodshop
09-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Good Job so far.

If you remove the C Clip on the back of the big WHITE plastic gear and removed it, would you find the shaft and sleeve bearing in good shape? I found my sleeve worn out at about 500 hours.

A drop of 3 in one oil on that shaft will do wonders.

When the Y Motor is mounted in the unit does the white plastic gear rub the case? See Picture.

Is the Y belt clean? I had a bunch of pine pitch and sawdust in the cogs of my Y belt.

Is the C Clip still on the Y Idle Pulley at the right side.... I lost the clip on 2 of my 3 machines and the plastic pulley comes off slightly and causes lost steps.

How snug is the screw on top of the right side pulley. A loose screw caused me to loose steps.

Encoder Check.... Options and run it back and forth, does it skip steps? on the display?

Good Job cleaning it.

Good Luck,

AL

bjbethke
09-19-2008, 05:30 PM
I had to return my machine back to LHR

I want to thank “Bubbabear” for send me the PDF folders for this problem.
These machines need a little maintenance some times, I don't have a problem
understanding it, my background is in electronics and maintenance with the
FAA (22 years, the Government had great schools). I retired as the Memphis,
TN, Electronics Tower Chief in 1978, Radars, commutations, and other
aircraft control systems, plus all the Tower maintenance. These PDF's are a
great help, wish there was a theory of operations manual for it. I spent
over an hour on the phone with the LHR Technician till we found broken
wires in the FFC Cable just inside the FFC Cable Guard. The flexing of this
cable caused it to break. The unit was in the "TX Hospital" in April 2008,
they replaced the controller at that time plus other things. But there were
no usage readings, every thing read "00". They wanted it sent back because
it had an asterisk "*" behind the zeros and they said that indicated the