PDA

View Full Version : finished project not centered

zman
09-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Is there any reason why when I have a project centered in designer that it would be off just alittle on one end when finished? I have been testing some sample pieces and I just cannot figure out. I have tried both versions of designer, I have let the machine measure the wood and then make the project size exactly the same in Designer with the same results. The testing I did was a rectangle border centered on the board. The end closes to you looking at the cover of the machine is always the off side. I am not using a sled for the project in question and have not had the problem before it has just started. If I were using the sled would it not also read the sled wrong. I did remove the board sensor and cleaned. It is about 1/16 to 1/8" off center. It is real noticeable if I edge rout the board.

Thanks
Zman

mtylerfl
09-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Hello Zman,

It would be helpful to see the mpc file you are having trouble with. (Don't post an mpc with any commercial patterns on it, though - you can delete those off the board before posting if necessary.)

zman
09-07-2008, 01:43 PM
this is the test board I was playing with. It is like everything shifts to the right just a small amount but enough to really be seen with an edge rout. Could there be something in the belt tracks that will not pull the board thru during the carve? The test board is just one project of 3 I am having issues with. It all started with 2 others that are 19" long X 9.25 that I carved yesterday and both of them were off center.

Thanks
Zman

mtylerfl
09-07-2008, 02:18 PM
zman,

OK, the mpc didn't help a bit. Perhaps a photo of your carved board might. (When you say it's off-center "with the end closes to you looking at the cover of the machine is always the off side", I still don't have a clear idea of what you're ending up with.)

Have you checked your belts to see if they are aligned and not drifting one way or the other? Is the head level so that it is providing even pressure to the rollers? Is the board moving freely through the guide plate whilst staying butted-up against the left guide? Is your rubber O-ring in place and not damaged or out of its groove on the brass roller?

Try making the board in Designer the same width as the board you are putting in the machine (measure your board and put the same dimensions for width in Designer).

Deolman
09-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Is the board itself 3 1/2 inches longer on each end out from your design, instead of what you called out for or set up in Designer? If not it may be coming out from under one roller and losing registration because of just a single roller holding it.

Kenm810
09-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Zman
My projects have been carving 1/16” - 1/8” to the right for over a year now, Whether I use a Sled or not. I did all the nuts and bolts checks I could think of, and calibrated the machine a few times, but there was no change. I do all my edge routing on my router table to save cutting time on my Machine, so it doesn’t bother my projects much.
I got in the habit - only if necessary, to manually shift the whole project to the Left slightly in Designer before carving it.

The photos below represent where I center the project in Designer and where the Machine actually carves it on the board --- to the right.

zman
09-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Ken I will give that a try to fudge alittle in designer. Hopefully that will do the trick. Its just strange that all of a sudden it starts happening. I did check my belts and brass roller oring and all looks OK. I will call LHR in the am to see if they can shed any light on it.

Thanks All
Zman

Router-Jim
09-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Ken and Zman, don't feel like the Lone Ranger because my machine just did the same thing for the first time. :o

Kenm810
09-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Must have something to do with Politics
The Carving Machines are starting to favor the Right
Where's Mr. Green

zman
09-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Thats a good one Ken.
I did call LHR today and they feel it may be a bad board sensor. Should have the new one later this week, I will keep you informed. They also told me to do the calibration which I did try to do brfore calling them till the machine told me to load the 1/6 jointing bit. Was not sure what bit to install so I stopped it. The tech told me to use the 3/8 straight bit. Has anyone done the calibration to backup that the 3/8 straight bit is the one to use?

Thanks
Zman

Kenm810
09-08-2008, 06:53 PM
From the CW Manual,
LHR Technologies, Inc. CarveWright™ System (Rev 1.24) 11/09/07
Page 45

Calibrating Machine Offsets:

The "Calibrate Offsets" function is a
simple procedure to allow the user to fine-tune the CarveWright
machine for improved accuracy. To perform the offset calibration, the
following will be needed:
A board at least 2" wide by 10" long between 1/2" and 3/4" thick.
The CarveWright branded 3/8" Jointing Bit.
The CarveWright sensor calibration will vary slightly depending on
the color and darkness of the material. Best results will be realized
by calibrating the machine using that wood type most often used in
the machine. If a variety of woods are used in the machine,
choose a wood for calibration that is in the middle of the range of
color and darkness.

E 3/8" Straight - Jointing Bit #J0002

zman
09-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Thank You Ken

One other thing I am going to try is the belt adjustment. They had me move the truck back and forth to each end of the machine recording the reading at each end and thought the variance may also be part of the problem.

Zman

Jeff_Birt
09-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Yes, you use the 3/8" jointing bit. It says so in the users manual...

cnsranch
09-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Jeff/Ken -

Ken, your pic looks like a 1/2" shank.

Can you use a common 3/8" straight bit set into a bit holder, or does it HAVE to be the bit and holder from LHR?

Jeff_Birt
09-09-2008, 10:10 AM
CW recommends using their bit as the calibration routine was designed around it. You might be able to use another mfgs bit, I don't know, never tried.