PDA

View Full Version : help on pattern?

JVallario
09-07-2008, 10:58 AM
I grabbed a pattern of Jesus on the cross posted by roughcut that I really liked. I want to make one for my Mothers B-Day. The symbol at the top is off center and when I apply a cut path it is against the left edge. Since I don't yet have pattern editing software (not sure it could fix it) I wondered if someone else could center it? Mom and I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Kenm810
09-07-2008, 12:26 PM
JVallario,

If you use the flip Cut and accept it,
the left cut will move slightly away from the Plaque on the Cross

JVallario
09-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks - I did that but the vertical portion of the cross is then uneven around the body. But hey while I've got you here I was trying to carve 2 patterns out of 1 pc of wood (saving what wood I have you see) but the designer only let me assign a cut path to one of them. I had 2 crosses and turned one 180 degrees. Is there a way to use the cut out tool on more than one pattern? Say if you wanted to produce several patterns.

Kenm810
09-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Take a look at this one, it might help.
Remember to to use the outline tool on both Patterns

bjbethke
09-07-2008, 08:32 PM
"(I grabbed a pattern of Jesus on the cross posted by roughcut that I really liked)"

The only person who can change this PTN is Roughcut. He made the PTN. You would need the MPW file to make changes.

Dan-Woodman
09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
John
I had no trouble at all assigning a cut path to two patterns. I just copied , paste , outline pattern,and assigned cut path.
no trouble on my end. later Daniel

JVallario
09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Ken - Thats exactly what I'm trying to do. Once I assign a cut path to the first outline I dont get the option to assign one to the second outline. I've tried it several times. How did you do it?? Is there a problem with my software? I saw in tips and tricks you could copy and past the cut path. Might try that.

bjbethke - Yes - that's what I thought. Guess I hoped Roughtcut would see the post. Didin't want to ask directly since he was nice enough to post it for free.

www.go3d.us
09-07-2008, 10:04 PM
I wish I can help you out but unfortunately, I don't have pattern editor.
HT

JVallario
09-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Well - I tried copying the cut path but then I couldn't rotate it 180 degrees. Whatever Kenm810 did I can't duplicate it. Makes me wonder if it is something in the software version?

mtylerfl
09-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Well - I tried copying the cut path but then I couldn't rotate it 180 degrees. Whatever Kenm810 did I can't duplicate it. Makes me wonder if it is something in the software version?

John,

copy and invert the pattern, then click the outline tool to make the outline around the inverted pattern.

roughcut
09-07-2008, 10:33 PM
John
I didn't have any luck centering the top sign so I made a pattern of the sign you should beable to put it over the old sign You will have to work with te depth but I think it should work.Let me know how you make out

JVallario
09-07-2008, 10:37 PM
mtylerfl - That was the first thing I tried. However more fiddling around I discovered something. I can do both cust paths just like Ken did on the pattern he used. However for some reason the pattern with just the face of Jesus on the rough style cross (purchased so I cannot post it here) will not allow me to put a second cut path on. Very strange.

JVallario
09-07-2008, 10:38 PM
John
I didn't have any luck centering the top sign so I made a pattern of the sign you should beable to put it over the old sign You will have to work with te depth but I think it should work.Let me know how you make out

Thank you - I'll try that out tomorrow.

JVallario
09-08-2008, 08:20 AM
After doing more testing with different patterns it seems that this is a software glitch. I will re-post the issue under troubleshooting.

Kenm810
09-08-2008, 10:44 AM
JVallario,

Sorry I couldn't get back to you, the server has been up and down
since last night.

I'm glad to see a lot of fellow carvers jumped in to help -- ( It's a great Forum) http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

The only thing I did different, was not to copy and past,
but open the pattern twice form the pattern menu,
then invert one and outline both before adding the cut paths.

JVallario
09-08-2008, 11:26 AM
I did that too - sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. Rotating the pattern 1 degree allowed a cut path to be added. However this got more interesting if not downright strange with a different pattern. You can see it under troubleshooting.

Kenm810
09-08-2008, 11:29 AM
JVallario,

I just tried it with the other cross Pattern you mentioned,
and did it with the cut and past method -- and it work also.

Like you said we can't post the pattern, but I can post the photos

Jeff_Birt
09-08-2008, 11:45 AM
The outlines are generated by looking for the edges of a pattern. Jagged edges on a pattern can throw off the outlining procedure. I would suspect the when the pattern was imported that 'floor edges' or 'round edges' was not used to ensure that all edges of the pattern went down to zero.

mtylerfl
09-08-2008, 12:45 PM
The outlines are generated by looking for the edges of a pattern. Jagged edges on a pattern can throw off the outlining procedure. I would suspect the when the pattern was imported that 'floor edges' or 'round edges' was not used to ensure that all edges of the pattern went down to zero.

Good point, Jeff. That could indeed be the root of the problem - forgot about that possibility.