PDA

View Full Version : Broken guide roller on cutting truck

jcorder
09-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I am uploading pictures of a broken roller on my guide truck. it is the bottom right roller (furthest away from the keyboard side). I did not notice it until I had completed a long project. The project cut ok, my question is, can I continue on projects until this is replaced?

Thanks
Jeff

Kenm810
09-07-2008, 11:34 AM
I really don’t think it would be a good idea to try to use your machine until it is repaired.
With the 20,000 rpm speed of the cutting head,
any bump or snag will send the remaining parts of the head as projectiles in all directions!
Please wait until you speak to LHR, just to be on the safe side.

jcorder
09-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks Ken,
I had a message from Jeff and he told me the same thing. I am certainly going to listen to you guys, lots more experience than I have. I certainly appreciate the support found here on this forum, everyone is so willing to help.

Thanks again, I am calling LHR in the morning.
Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
09-07-2008, 06:59 PM
What was the project, a cut path or V text? I aborted a project the other day when BIG 3 inch V90 Text was cutting max depth and the machine was bogging down and leaving burn marks. I had cleaned the bit but it has seen allot of use and needs sharpening or the diamond hone.

Didn't want to break the Spindle with all the stress and a dull bit.... So I stopped it....

On my last big order of parts from LHR the 2 Spindles I ordered came with a new QC, internal spindle bearings and new outside bearings. The Concern is they were both used spindle units still having oil and sawdust on them. A broken bearing like this is something I worry about since I have already had them 30 days if they failed no refund. My brother had this metal crack finder, a liquid spray and a spray powder. The powder would point out cracks in the dry part as the liquid would soak into the crack. I should try it on the parts.

AL

jcorder
09-08-2008, 05:52 AM
It had been about an hour and three minute project. I was working on cutting boards. I use soft brown maple, laminar finish and I use the 90V and that cut seeming went fine, then I switch to the cutter bit and it cuts the boards out. I use one blank and get two boards out of it. The machine did not make any strange noises, did not bog down, the cut seemingly went just fine. I found the roller when I was cleaning the machine and getting ready for the next cut. It is the bottom right, and it split right across the scew hole. The screw is still in place on the broken roller. I will call LHR today and see what they want to do, I have only had the machine two months, not many hours of cutting time on the machine. The Machine did have a hiccup about three weeks ago, I was carving a project and as the bit started moving from the jog to the cutting position, the truck went too low and the bit dug into the piece as the piece was moving backward and the bit was not spinning, I lifted the lid right away, but it did pop the bit out of the chuck and tore the belt. I have done a lot of cutting since that incident, I did not find any damage and I checked all the settings. Not sure why it did it, never had a problem after that. Not sure if that would have stressed it enough to crack this piece or not.

Jeff

What was the project, a cut path or V text? I aborted a project the other day when BIG 3 inch V90 Text was cutting max depth and the machine was bogging down and leaving burn marks. I had cleaned the bit but it has seen allot of use and needs sharpening or the diamond hone.

Didn't want to break the Spindle with all the stress and a dull bit.... So I stopped it....

On my last big order of parts from LHR the 2 Spindles I ordered came with a new QC, internal spindle bearings and new outside bearings. The Concern is they were both used spindle units still having oil and sawdust on them. A broken bearing like this is something I worry about since I have already had them 30 days if they failed no refund. My brother had this metal crack finder, a liquid spray and a spray powder. The powder would point out cracks in the dry part as the liquid would soak into the crack. I should try it on the parts.

AL