PDA

View Full Version : Bit Depth Again

jerrbitt
09-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Replaced the Tracking Assembly after LHR suggested tht was the prblem in the error message ""Bit Depth does not match."

Works better but still have some problems. Sometimes the carving bit starts about an 1/8 above the board and consequently the depth does not corresppond to the pattern depth. Then I run the same pattern again, and this time it goes perfectly. Board is smooth, square, no cups.

This is after the normal setup and I watch carefully making sure the board is measured correctly and the bit plate is touched twice. Today I attempted to carve the same pattern I did yesterday without problem but today after the carving was done, the cut path did not go all the way through. About a 1/16" or so short of a through cut. And during setup, no error messages about bit depth occured.

Any ideas before I call LHR again. Getting frustrated.

atauer
09-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Jerrbitt,

Have you checked to make sure that the bits are not loose in the adapter? Also, check to see if they are put together correctly. A bit that is loose in the adapter could slide up and down during the bit depth check and give false readings.

atauer
09-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Jerrbitt,

Also, there should be a piece of rubber under the board tracking sensor. Is it still there? If it is not there, when the bit touches down on the board tracking sensor, it is pushing the sensor down too far, giving a falso depth.

jerrbitt
09-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Oh, oh. When I replaced it, I made the mistake of unloosing the two screws that hold it in place -- the Tracking Assembly, that is. Then I discovered that I had to take the guide plate off. I did not notice any rubber "gasket"
and it could have slipped away in that process.
I'll take it apart again but after blowing the inside of the cover with compressed air, doubt that I could find it and I don't recall seeing one when I unpacked the new one.

Can I fabricate something as a substitue, from a rubber inner tube perhaps, or do I have to order it?

Also does that assembly come into play during setup of a carve -- no cut path? I thought when the carving bit touched down on the board, that determined the carving depths established in designer?

Thanks much.

Looked at the parts manual, did not see any rubber interface.