PDA

View Full Version : Flex shaft needs a cleaning

liquidguitars
09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
My flex shaft end loosened yesterday so it was time to epoxy the tip back.

After removing the flex shaft core I ran paint thinner down the inside of the shaft to clean, what a mess YUK.

I think it could be a good idea to clean the shaft as well as oiling the core from time to time giving you the needed HP to the bit. :)

LG

supershingler
09-04-2008, 11:37 AM
i suppose you could use a rifle bore cleaning kit to do this

i looked at mine the other night and thought the same thing that it could use a cleaning

i was wondering if i should clean the shaft between lubrications and what a guy should use that won't harm the shaft

kendall

FiddlemakerMills
09-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Its a pipe cleaner that comes in different legnths and dia. Available at RV repair centers.

Digitalwoodshop
09-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Careful if a solvent is used that could dissolve the rubber from the inside.

I think you are on to something with cleaning the inside of the rubber. I noted the resistance in a older flex turning the cut motor from the QC end by the flex. A new one was easier.

AL

Jeff_Birt
09-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Another danger in cleaning rubber is drying it out. It is best to avoid harsh solvents like carburetor cleaner or alcohol. Many years ago when I worked on printer/copier we used a product called Fedron to clean rubber parts. I would suspect that if used sparingly that kerosene might work as well.