PDA

View Full Version : Board Tracking Encoder Replacement

jerrbitt
09-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Ready to replace the Board Tracking Encoder Assembly. According to LHR, that's why I can't do Centerline, "Cut Path", etc. The machine says it can not find board thickness/bit depth.

Regardless, my question concerns r and r. It appears you loosen up the cover on the keyboard side to giver yourself as much working room as possible without taking the cover off. Then there are two screws holding the assembly on the guide plate. Unscrew, unplug the wire, reverse order for new one, and done --- right?

Anybody whose replaced one, I'd appreciate hearing from you as to any precautionary steps needed before removing the part. LHR does not have a PDF file for the r&r.

jerrbitt
09-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Just for the record, I replaced the assembly. Found in addition to taking the screws and bolts holdiing the front cover, you have to remove the two small phillip head screws holding the guide plate assembly.

Seemed to work fine but still not sure it solved my problem of bit depth though.

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2008, 06:28 PM
From what you said in your post..... I am betting it will not fix your real problem.

Not finding the board thickness is a function of the bit touching the surface of the board then touching the right side slider next to the U shaped area. If it misses the slider then it will prompt you to move the slider over..... So if the slider is in the right position and it touches the top of the board it should work.

If you use options and look at the Z Encoder data and move the QC up and down you should see the numbers change without jumping large amounts.

If you have the old 16 pin Z Cable and the Z Motor that is flush to the end of the encoder I would say that is your problem.... A Bad Z and need the Z Bundle.

I don't ever remember hearing of anyone replacing the Brass Roller Encoder.... That is the X Axis.....

Make sure you watch the bit touch the bit plate on the right side, that will throw a wrench in the works if the bit plate is not out far enough for the bit to touch it..... Lots on the Bit Plate Problems posted from the wires hitting in the back right from the right cover switch to sawdust binding the bit flag.

AL

atauer
09-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Al,

That is true. However, when the machine does the test for the board thickness, i believe that it uses both the board tracking sensor and the guide plate. If the plastic piece that the board tracking sensor sits on has a hole in it, then the bit is going to drop down further during the first measurement and then when it goes to measure on the guide plate, it will produce a different measurement. the difference between the two will cause board thickness problems. Also, if the bit is not fully inserted into the qc or is loose in the adapter, it will cause thickness problems.