PDA

View Full Version : Multiples of Pattern files?

Don Butler
09-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Something happened (?) and I have five copies of everything in my patterns. I'd like to delete four of each, but I don't know how that's done. All the methods I normally use to delete things seems not to work.

Please educate me!

Don

Jvicaretti
09-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Don,
if you right click on the file you want to get rid of a menu opens, scroll down to delete and then left click on it. That should do the trick.

Don Butler
09-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I get no drop down menu when I right click on the pattern files.

????

d...

forqnc
09-03-2008, 01:59 PM
The right click delete only works for patterns you have installed yourself. You cannot delete the ones that come with the software.

I just found in the C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\CarveWright folder is a MPN file called favourites, this is where all the patterns you imported are stored together. If you have all you patterns in .PTN format saved somewhere, maybe you could delete the MPN file and re-import them into designer.

Also in the C:\Program Files\CarveWright\data folder on your computer is the Basic.mpn which is the ones that come with designer. Check if you have mutiple copies in this folder. Just a thought

Good Luck

Don Butler
09-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I guess I haven't explained myself clearly.

With the designer open, I click on the "Pattern Tool" which opens the list of usable patterns on the right side of the screen.

In that list there are many patterns I made myself. Just to take one for example, one called "tsawbld" which is my own design. It is now in there five times (Why I don't know, everything is now in the list five times) and I cannot delete it, not even one of them.

The pattern list is outrageously long and irritating to try to find anything.

If I can't delete, would it do any good to UNINSTALL the whole CW program and start over?

d...

mtylerfl
09-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi Don,

It sounds like you might have gotten the duplicates from multiple installs of the software already.

You might want to save your mpn files in another separate folder for backup, then call CarveWright Software Support for advice. I'm guessing they'll either have you delete stuff or do an uninstall/re-install to clean things up. (That's the reason for your backups, just in case you need to restore them.)

Something else I just remembered. Someone wrote a free Pattern Organizer software program and posted a download link here on the forum somewhere. Sorry I don't recall what it was called, but maybe you could do some searching or someone else knows what/where it is.

Maybe that alone would take care of making it easier to delete the duplicates and re-organize your pattern list.

IM2HAPPI
09-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Here's a link to that pattern organizer program.http://www.tjswoodery.com/News_View.aspx?Articleid=5

Don Butler
09-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Barb,
Thanks for the link.
I downloaded the program and installed it. It may come to be useful sometime, but it isn't helping me on this problem. When I run it and open my favorites folder, which the program shows as only one folder not five, there are no files showing there.
I guess I'll have to call the folks at the factory.

Thanks again.

Don

cnsranch
09-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Don -

forgnc is close to getting to your problem.

Open Windows Explorer on your computer, go to

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\CarveWright

You will find a favorites.mpn file (this is the good one)

This is where you should also find the three other files that look like the original favorites.mpn, but they will have a number extension that looks like

favorites12345.mpn.

Those are the duplicate files.

To make sure the ones that you want to delete are not the latest that have your latest files in them, simply hover your mouse over each of the files. The info will show you which was modified last, and which has the greatest amount of data in it.

The favorites.mpn is the one you do not want to delete, though.

You may also have a basic.mpn file here as well. That one is a duplicate, as the one you never want to delete is the one in the folder:

C:\Program Files\CarveWright\data

I found that out by deleting it - screwed up everything, but simply went to my "trash can" and restored that file.

I do not know just why the files get duplicated, but you will know when they do, because when you open Designer, and then open your pattern file, you will see more than one favorites, and/or more than one basic.

My Designer was taking as long as 2 minutes to open, and I realized that it was loading four favorites folders with 40 megs of data in each one. That could eventually happen if you amass a large amount of patterns, but not when they're simply duplicates.

Hope this makes sense, it'll fix your problem.

Regards

liquidguitars
09-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Don,

you can not delete patterns with the right mouse in a sub directory like you get with search.

Try this, frist click on"Browse" and the pattern, using the right mouse select delete.

LG

cnsranch
09-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Right, you can't delete a pattern by "right clicking" it. You can, however, if you have the CCW Pattern Organizer - you can delete them with a right click there.

If I'm reading Don's post correctly, his problem at this point is finding the duplicate files. Once you find them, you can simply right click the dupe file and delete it - the entire file, not a pattern inside it.

liquidguitars
09-04-2008, 10:18 AM
I think this is a issue when using Designer patterns "search tab" just click "Browse" first then RMB..

LG

Don Butler
09-04-2008, 01:39 PM
CNSRANCH,

Thank you. You solved it. I deleted those .mpn files except for the one named favorites.mpn. I was going one file at a time to see what effect my deleting was having.

When favorites.mpn was the only one I started CW Designer and it was good. The program opened quickly and there was only one of each of the patterns in the list.

What I did to find them, since drilling down in the disc tree to the layer you mentioned failed to show them, was to use the search function looking for *.mpn. They all came up in the results.

Everything is good now!

Don

Tom75
09-19-2008, 12:38 PM
i to had the same problem with multipel favorite files and just found this thred and did what was told to do i have one more file to get rid of but can not find it . i down loaded a tryey version of a patter called collection of dogs when you click on it in desiner it opens a nother you have to click on called wood wisdom then opens a nother box acalled dogs1 then click on that and then the dog patterns showe up i would like to erase that file . could not find it the way i delated the multipa fav files . the dog file was a try first . will it automaticly deleate it self after a perieiod of time ? thank you in advanse tom