PDA

View Full Version : Probe help, z-truck not going up and down while scanning & more

zoozack
09-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Hi,
Hope someone can help me out here. I've been trying to get my probe to work for hours/days now, no return calls from support. hmmm.

Anyway, I plugged in the probe new out the box into the CW and wanted to do a test scan, so I followed the one on CarveBuddy.com of the seashell. Simple right?. Well, I plugged the probe in, set up the scanning sled all was set. The accessory menu came up ok to "scan area." So I selected the X and Y and max depth and began the scan. Immediately the motor shaft did a quick 180 degree and ripped one of wires from the probe to the connector.

I stopped the scan of course, and rewired the probe (pretty simple once I took it apart). Started the scan again but disengaged the shaft from the z-truck the scan started fine...then once it reached the seashell it kept pushing and pushing the pin to the left to the point where I knew something was wrong; the z-truck should've started to step but didn't. So I'm stuck now. The z-truck will not move up and down at all (stepping) during the scan...it just continues to push against the object without a stall or anything. If I don't stop it the probe it either going to break or push the shell (which is secured by mounting tape to the sled) out of place. Can someone give me an idea of what a fix would be? Or if someone could show me some pics of the internal parts of the probe so I can see if I have a bad probe? I'm at a stall myself on what to do at this point. I tried taking the seashell out and gently pushing the pin of the probe in each direction and still the z-truck will only go along the X and Y axis, it won't move up or down at all.

I built the sled from the specs given from the CW site. I took the probe apart and the connections seem to be okay, but I have nothing to compare it to. Everything is still under warranty until 11/08 so I'm going to try to get in touch with software or hardware support again. Oh, I failed to mention, now when I pull the probe out and try to access the project menu to do a carve I turn the machine on and it's stuck on the "scan area" menu.

any help is well appreciated, I'm in a hurry typing so I may have left out some details.

I'm running Mac OSX firmware on the card is 1.130.
Thanks if anyone can help me out here. Pics or suggestions. My CW didn't work from day 1. I had to contact software support, they sent the wrong firmware on the card and had me open up the back of the CW and check some wiring. I was able to carve after that, but still something is just not right about the machine in general. For one, the rpm sensor is attached to the shaft motor by a small magnet attached to a screw that's not screwed into anything? It's really loose and kind of dangling there by a small magnet and a screw. Perhaps some pics would help, I will post if I have time tomorrow. In the meantime if anyone has any input, I'm all ears. Pics would be great for the guts of the probe to make sure mine is "OK".:confused:

TerryT
09-03-2008, 07:55 AM
On the key pad under options you will be able to check the probe state. It will be open or closed. Move the probe tip from side to side and see if it changes. If not probably a broken wire, loose connection or damaged plug. Also make sure you have the probe set to "Cover".

mtylerfl
09-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Hello zoozack,

Do this...

Turn the machine on (without the probe plugged in). It should say “Scan Area”. Press “0”. Scroll down to number 5, User Options. Scroll down to Scan Probe. Make sure it is on “cover” instead of Z truck.

Then try your scan again to see if it works alright now. Please let us know if that did the trick for you.

Yes, please do remove the flex shaft when performing a scan. The sudden "whip" of the chuck can occur without warning and damage the probe wires as you discovered. It happened to me only once after having used the probe without incident many times. I now remove the flex shaft each time before doing a scan to totally remove the possibility.

zoozack
09-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Okay, thanks...I'll give a try and post back. I didn't know it needed to be switched over to "cover" to scan....is that normal? Why wouldn't they put that in the probe manual. I have a 1st generation CW, so the documentation maybe older, but still.

Any idea about the rpm sensor chip board on the flex shaft motor? is it supposed to be screwed into the motor at the front of the motor assembly? There is only 1 screw there. Then there is a small magnet above the screw, then there is a dangling screw going through the rpm sensor chip board hole touching the magnet.? Just doesn't look or seem right. I would like to see a pic of the motor and the rpm sensor as a close up, I think it's actually supposed to be screwed in and just not dangling there. It hasn't happened yet, but the truck could easily knock it off the flex shaft motor assembly while carving or scanning.

And as far as when the probe isn't plugged in, I imagine I switch back to "z-truck" on the user options, but why am I still getting "Scan Area" instead of the "Projects Menu." And, yes I do have a small project on the card. Thanks for all your help....I'll post back!

Zack

mtylerfl
09-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Okay, thanks...I'll give a try and post back. I didn't know it needed to be switched over to "cover" to scan....is that normal? Why wouldn't they put that in the probe manual. I have a 1st generation CW, so the documentation maybe older, but still...

...And as far as when the probe isn't plugged in, I imagine I switch back to "z-truck" on the user options, but why am I still getting "Scan Area" instead of the "Projects Menu." And, yes I do have a small project on the card. Thanks for all your help....I'll post back!

Zack

Hello Zack,

If you also have the "first generation" Z-Truck, then the instructions I gave you do not apply. (By the way, you do NOT switch back and forth between the "z-truck" and "cover settings"...it's a one-time setting and you leave it alone thereafter regardless whether you are scanning or carving.)

You should definitely call LHR Tech Support to find out which generation of Z-Truck you have, and also to ask them about the rpm sensor and the other questions you had about the cut motor, magnet, etc., etc. They'll be able to help you better when they determine specifically what you've got going on with your machine.

zoozack
09-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Yea...that's what I'm thinking. I'm going to call them tomorrow to get this stuff worked out. Sounds like I need a whole new machine.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

Zack

TerryT
09-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Zack,
have you heard anything from the techs on your problem yet?

zoozack
09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes, I called the software support and since my machine was stuck on the accessory menu "Area Scan", they had me push 0-0-5-3 then switch the scanning function to z-truck, which I had already done in the user options many times, still no luck with scanning.

As far as getting back to the projects menu, they had me push 0-0-5-3 on the keypad, then push "stop" three times, shut the machine off and back on, and it went to the projects menu.

I told them something is wrong here, she said a hardware support tech would call me, and after 3 days, no call.

I've about had it. I'm going to call this week and tell them I want to send my machine in and they need to fix it. It has only 2 hours and 30 mins of motor time on it and the warranty expires in November.

This is my four call to them, and nothing is resolved. Something is messed up in the firmware somewhere along with the machine. I've read over manuals over and over.

The first time I tried the 3D Probe out of the box, the CW twisted it and ripped the wires from the plug-in jack, which I had to fix. I feel it needs to be replaced as well. $300 for such a simple device that probably costs them no more than $30 to produce isn't so much to ask for.

Right now, I am furious with CarveWright and their customer service. I have been polite with them, but at this point I am going to except nothing less than to have my machine sent back to them and have it looked at and fixed.

Thanks for asking,
Zack Pence