PDA

View Full Version : Downdraft table "specs"

Rocky
09-02-2008, 05:45 AM
I've looked through a "ton" of threads after doing a search on "downdraft tables". However, I can't find much information on "specs" or basic requirements for one. There was plenty of good info on static and grounding that I saw.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is a downdraft table really necessary?
2. If so, are there any specs/designs posted on this forum?

Thanks,

badger
09-02-2008, 06:18 AM
Need to extend your search:

Dust Collection

Downdraft Tables

and the such. There are numerous topics on this subject and kinda of hard to lead you to one specific topic. Plenty of photos showing tables made and those that can be bought.

Im glad I have mine installed working well.

Dont have current images of it but can take some.

Basically have a Jet 1hp with 650cfm, big enough for one machine and on casters so I can switch it between tools. Used a cabinet from the new kitchen install that we didnt use. It was a left over cabinet. Put mdf on the top cut a slot and installed a funnel from woodcraft supplies for dust collection. Put the base cabinet on casters so I can move it whereever I need too. Took less than 1 1/2 hours to build it.

Many others have also built their own custom stands and they are posted with images. Some have even customized their machines to include side mounting of their dust collection.

Jeff_Birt
09-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Here is a place to start:

http://carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3704&highlight=automatic+blast

Rocky
09-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks, folks. Jeff, the thread you pointed me to looks like a good one.

Digitalwoodshop
09-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Some have used a old furnace ventilation fan and others like me just put foam weather seal tape at the slot under the machine and cut a 4 inch hole in the bottom of the table or in my case the cart it sits on. I found that off setting hole more toward the bit flag end helps as the majority of my boards are 11.25 wide.

My upper collector makes a big difference and I am looking at a revision of it soon.

I use a 2 HP dust collector with a paper filter on top and it makes a wind storm inside the machine removing a great amount of the wood dust.

With 1.130 I find the 1/8 inch bit doing a cut path in a rip cut direction gets plugged up with sawdust and causes smoke.... If I use LP air and blow down from the top while it is cutting the sawdust clears and the cut sounds better. Even with the wind storm I still get plugged cut path slots. I am thinking that a copper tube along the Z Truck like someone else had done is what is needed for me..... To blow the slot clear....

So that is my 2 cents.... The better the dust collection the less problems.

AL

Woodman
09-02-2008, 07:48 PM
This is a worktable I bought from Sears & mounted a plywood deck on top. Attached to this is a 2hp dust collection system good for about 2460 cfm/minute through various fittings & hoses. The machine is also sitting on a set of vibration pads. There is a 17 inch X 2 inch hole in the bottom of your machine that you can attach a system to. Please make sure your system pulls air ONLY through that slot although you will notice that mine also pulls air through the exhaust port as well. As far as I know that's OK. My system is still a work in progress but it does pull sawdust out of my carvewright very well indeed and is a great help in cleanup chores after I've carved something. I also use a shopvac set on "blow" and periodically blow sawdust into the airpath so it gets sucked down and away. Hope this helps! Pete

Rocky
09-03-2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks, folks. You guys have given me a lot to think about.

CraigBrownDesigns
09-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I used PVC 4" pipe and using a circular saw cut the top of the 'T' off. Using pipe strapping I attached it to the bottom of the draft table under the slot in the table for the air intake from the CarveWright. I then used a another piece of PVC and stepped down the size under the table to 3" and was able to connect the vac hose from my 1 hp system. Caulked the portion that the pipe is up against the table which sealed it up nicely giving me good suction with minimal clean up.
Worked for me.

sensei
09-23-2008, 09:15 PM
I just put my table together and I think it will work ok, I put a 5" hole in the bottom of the cart that I can hook to my dust collector. I see on the bottom of the CarveWright that there are vents. Can I seal the edges of the unit up with weather striping and not have to worry about air flow through the vents? I would think with the dust collector on there should be plenty of air flow even with the seal. True or not?

Kenm810
09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
sensei,

Use the weather strip around the bottom slot only,
The vents are to cool the electronics.
Pulling air through them will fill the circuitry with dust and chips.

sensei
09-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks Ken. I would have messed that up.