PDA

View Full Version : happy owners thread

supershingler
09-01-2008, 07:40 PM
I think it time to start a thread that show some of the happy owners

I seem to see some more posts by people bashing this wonderful machine

What people need to remember is that this is a machine and it will have a failure sometime in its lifespan(has anyone ever bought a car that didnt have some kind of a mechinacal breakdown).

I for one loves my carvewright. I not only renewed my interest in woodwork but my wife and i finally have something we both enjoy that we can do together. My other woodworking machine we just sitting for the last 5 years and see very little use but that is not the case now.

I have 50 plus hours on my machine and havent had a problem that the forum couldnt answer for me.

This is a great machine so i guess ill be the first to put my name on the satisified list

Thanks for everyone help and guidance

Kendall

Happy Carving

Jeff_Birt
09-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Please see the comments and praise thread stickied to the top of this section :)

mark1945
09-01-2008, 08:37 PM
I have about 70 hours on my carvewright.Have only a couple of small glitches that I was able to fix myself in a few minutes.I love this machine,I am still in a learning curve but so far its all good.I havent hardly touched my wood lathes or metal lathes since I got it, It is spoiling me. Mark1945

pcfry
11-23-2008, 07:59 PM
I have 27 hours on my machine and I've been replacing parts (Z-Truck) & Sensor so far, and more than likely a flex cable before too long. I can't say that I'm optimistic about the lifespan, but I'd like to hear other people's ideas on expected life of the CarveWright, or hear tales of machines with high hours.

JVallario
11-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Over 50 hours on mine - zero machine problems - about 100 user mistakes.:mrgreen:

My biggest issue is trying to control all the ideas that pop into my head.

FiddlemakerMills
11-23-2008, 09:17 PM
120+ Hours on mine, so far rpl the QC and Cover switch.

I put this down to preventive maint. Clean the machine after each use. Lube the required parts prior to use. Inspect for damage prior to use, do a senser check before use. Make sure the boards that you use are the correct size and not damaged. Store in a warm dry area when not running the unit.

I have been thinking of doing two cuts on the projects. One roughing and one finish cut. This is ment to reduce stress on the machine.

My machine has paid for itself just by roughing out the plates for the violins.

Very Happy with mine.

SharonB
11-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Have 160+ hours on my CompuCarve and just had my first issue...board sensor went bad. Like most users, when their machine goes down I'm having withdrawel symptoms. I've never owned a piece of equipment that I've enjoyed as much as I have that machine. And of course the forum certainly helps in all departments with problems and encouragement. Hope all your problems are short lived. SharonB

Don Butler
11-24-2008, 06:24 AM
I'd like to add my name to the list of happy owners.

As for maintenance issues, I compare it to my car. I give it the routine care recommended and it goes - and goes and goes, ad infinitum.

I'm also pleased with the help I get on the forum.

I don't even read the complaining posts unless they are actually asking for help instead of just bashing the machine or the company.

d...

Betty Woodall
11-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Rich and I bought the first Compucarvewright from Sears in Dec. of 2006. We have been very happy with it and this year bought the carvewright machine at the Wood Workers fair this Spring. We have not had issues with either one on the machines that we have not been able to fix quickly. When we have had to call LHR they have been fast in replying to our calls and got things done. We use the machines daily. We love them. This forum has been a god send to all machine owners. Thanks a bunch..... BW

Kenm810
11-24-2008, 11:35 AM
I also bought the first CompuCarve from Sears in Dec. of 2006,
and although it’s had some issues and has been to Texas a few times,
I never regretted purchasing it for a minute.
What this little Machine can do is a Wonder,
nearly any thing I can imagine it can carve.
And I certainly agree that whenever I call
the service and techs at LHR have always been the best.

Hexe SA
11-24-2008, 12:23 PM
As I have posted before. I had one for 1 1/2 years love it, would buy another one, no regrets, some frustration but overall awesome from LHR, this and other forums. Soo much too carve, soo little time.
Eva

James RS
11-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Well I have the least amount of time (right now) 30 minutes, I got mine from Loews last week.
Read and re-read took, it downstairs yesterday hooked er up loaded the program card. And let the saw dust flow ( Hum along to the tune of Let it Snow). Best part was the wifes expression on the first project PRICELESS! She immediately went looking for some stain. Can't wait to do some more.

Thanks
James RS

supershingler
11-24-2008, 05:40 PM
congradulations james welcome to the forum
your are officially hooked on carving

when you cant sleep at night thinking about what your going to do next you will have graduated into being a "CARVAHOLIC" for which there in no know cure

good luck and have fun
and post pictures of your projects

kendall

brady.schwyhart
11-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Bought mine Jan/Feb and have 250+ hours on it. It's in storage right now cause of my new job, but when I'm done I'm gonna break it back out alongside the new one I'm going to get.
Brady

Rocky
11-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Here's my limited experience "2 cents worth". I purchased my CW in August of this year and have about 25 hours on it. At about 12 hours I had a Z-axis stall that stopped me dead. An LHR rep walked me the "fix" and that took care of that problem. Yesterday I continued to get a "power fluctuation" error. Cw would carve for about 10 seconds and stop. I pressed "Enter", the CW would start and then stop again in about 10 seconds. This happened several times. My CW is running on a separate 20 amp circuit. I called LHR and they told me I needed a new power supply board. I'm now waiting for the new board. I hope that solves the problem.

Bottom line at this point is that I'm not sorry I bought the CW. When it works, which it has most of the time, it is a really "neat" machine. However, I don't feel comfortable to committing to any large jobs due to the "fear" (maybe unwarranted) of potential machine problems.

DigitalMatt
11-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I guess this is as good a place as any to post my ThanksGiving message. I couldn't find an "off topic" category so Posting under the Happy Owners thread seems appropriate.

Just wanted to thank all the forum members for all the great info and camaraderie this past year. Your folks have meant a lot to me. I know I'm not real active in terms of posting, etc but I read and watch what's going on here all the time. Your efforts have made me a Happy Owner.

I've put together a longer blog post where I go into a bit more detail and thank some prominent people here in the forum but I didn't want to put all that here for those that like things short and sweet.

If you are interested in the full post, you can visit my blog entry entitled Matt's Thanksgiving message (http://www.wood-carving-machine-tips.com/Blog/files/matts-thanksgiving-message.php).

In any event, I want to thank everyone again for the unbelievable support. This has been a great year!

mtylerfl
11-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Hello Matt,

I want to personally thank YOU for all the hours and hours of time and effort you put in making your great videos and publishing one of the most interesting and informative websites about the CarveWright that exists! You're a gem - have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
----------------------

Note to readers: If you haven't visited Matt's website or watched his CarveWright videos, do yourself a favor and please do. I guarantee you will be glad you did! http://www.wood-carving-machine-tips.com/Videos/Video1.html

Colleen_and_Mike
12-11-2008, 11:31 AM
I am still learning about my CW and have had a few ups and downs and the folks at CW have been very patient with me and I LOVE THIS MACHINE.

I know I have asked some pretty dumb questions and I am so grateful to the carvers who also have taken the time to help. I have learnt one thing and that is to READ THE MANUAL and to look at threads and posts first.

Thanks to Larry for your patience.

Colleen

HelpBot3000
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Hey Colleen, not a problem (it's Barry btw, no biggie). That's what I'm here for. Always glad to help out when I can. Even if you are a Man Utd. fan. :p

hray
12-11-2008, 11:43 AM
had mine since jan 07 very happy it and the fine folks at cw have kept me
going read clean read clean and it keeps going

Semper Fi
12-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Hey, I've had my share of problems, but mostly with the Sears extended warranty. The machine itself had some issues in the beginning, but I'm as happy as a pig in the mud now. I bought a new Carvewright and it has performed without a hitch!!!

beachman
12-11-2008, 12:36 PM
My machine has had it's ups and downs,but i wouldn't trade it for anything

supershingler
12-11-2008, 02:07 PM
I Kind Of Think About My Carver Like I Do My Wife

It Kind Of Frustrating When It Wont Do What I Want And Make Me Really Mad At Other Times But At The End Of The Day I Still Love Her Lol.

HelpBot3000
12-11-2008, 02:09 PM
My machine has had it's ups and downs,but i wouldn't trade it for anything

both literally and figuratively! :-D

Mike Witt
12-11-2008, 07:20 PM
I've got two weeks, 9 hours and about 10 nice signs on the old girl without any prolems what so ever. I credit this to about 5 months of perusing this forum and learning from the pro's.
Everyone in posting their experiences has been a very good read and definately an assist to overcome the learning curve.

Thanks to all

Mike

TerryT
12-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I've had my compucarve since july 5th 2007. I'm pushing 500 carve hours now. I have had a few head scratchers and some frustrations. Like Tim the tool man I have almost every power tool known to mankind (well a fairly complete woodshop anyway). Not bad for being just a hobbyist. I have been trying to think of what other power tools I have put 500 hours use on in the last year and a half. Most are only at about a 10th of that time at most. I have also been trying to think of what other tools have paid for themselves 3 times over in the last year. Other than the carvewright (compucarve) I can't think of any. Even though I can get pretty upset when I break a $40 bit, I can't think of a better tool investment as far as fun and satisfaction.

Tom75
12-11-2008, 08:31 PM
i have had mine since dec. 25 2007 . and have had my fare shere of problems . at the moment i am weighting for a z-truck . but i would not give up the cw its has been the best addition to my hobby . all have a good one

fwharris
12-11-2008, 09:05 PM
I have had my CC since Sept. '07. I have just under 200 hours (low compared to some carvaholics). I have had a couple of issues, Zpak and power supply, that tech support diagnosed the problems quickly and got my replacement parts in less than a week.

I got mine as a hobby (don't you have some thing to do!) machine and possible income maker. like some other have posted I have also added other cool tools to the shop since but the CC/CW is definitely the most pleasure giver of them all. It produces amazing objects that I like to call art and it has introduced me to a whole bunch of carvers/artists/workaholics/woodworker/designers/geeks/professionals that I had no idea would have this kind of machine.