PDA

View Full Version : Height

dreyn
09-01-2008, 09:50 AM
In the Depth height angle tool bar what does the height tool do and hoe do you ues it

brdad
09-01-2008, 10:07 AM
We discussed this some in this thread (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8387) just the other day.

JVallario
09-01-2008, 10:12 AM
As I understand it - remember I'm a newbe too. The Depth is the max point the bit will carve into the wood as measured from the surface. The Height is the max material as measured from the bottom of the depth. 999 is max Height most here use - that should leave the highest part of the pattern just a hair below the main surface - virtually leaving that portion untouched.

That being said I have run into an issue using 999 height where a small flat was left on the highest part of the pattern. It didn't show this in the designer. I will keep my max height below 999 from now on to insure the pattern details come out clearly. A height of 750 seems safe to me. Others more knowledgable will most likely better explain this.

The angle number tilts the pattern on the carving much like moving it around with a protractor?

Amonaug
09-01-2008, 11:55 AM
As stated above depth is where the lowest part of the pattern will carve (ie the bottom of the pattern as you look at it edge on).

Height is the percent of the "thickness" of the pattern measuring from the bottom to the top as you look at it edge on. Default is 100 or 100%. 200 sets it twice as high up until it reaches the surface of the board. 50 makes it about half as thick.

dreyn
09-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Ok thanks for the information