PDA

View Full Version : Samllest readable text?

alw
09-01-2008, 08:12 AM
I was wondering what is the smallest readable text/font that can be done using the centerline text program.

I have seen the other pictures people have posted of 1/4" letters Corian. Does centerline text help with making smaller text?

swhitney
09-01-2008, 09:06 AM
the smallest font size depends on the font file itself, and the wood species you are useing. a vague answer at best, but from what I have learned here on the forums, is to try it on scrap first. So your own personal experience will tell you what works and what doesn't font wise...

centerline does make things a bit better, and faster

a few folks have gotten rjustice's 1/8" bit holder and smaller bits and had some success as well. he can be reached at cw_parts@yahoo.com, or you can do a search here and find some info as well.

good luck, and sorry about the vague aswer to your question, but to many variables make it difficult to pin down!!

DocWheeler
09-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Centerline and Two wood types,

If you want to do small centerline text: chose the 90 degree bit in Designer BUT use the 60 degree bit to do the carving (it will be shallower). Conversely, to create large centerline text, select the 60 degree bit in Designer but insert the 90 degree bit to do the carving. The enclosed small text picture does not do it justice - honest!

When using two types of wood to make the object stand out: At least here are the steps that I have done successfully using 1/4" material.
Create your project in Designer with a carve region of .265 deep and set the pattern depth to .242 (this will pull the bottom of the pattern up off of the bottom - kinda neat really!) - save this project. With the project still in Designer, rename it and save this second project, now draw a smaller carve region that is a little bigger than the pattern yet smaller than the original carve region. Delete the pattern and original carve region, now set this new (smaller) carve region to .25" deep (shallower than the first carve region and deeper than the pattern).

1) carve out the smaller region to glue the different wood into the board, 2) glue in the 1/4" material and clamp it well until dry, 3) carve the pattern and larger carve region mpc.

What to be careful about - Since you are working with fine dimensions, the board must be positioned as precisely as possible each time you carve it. I have been using a sled and have to make sure that there is no sawdust under the board, that the board is touching the sled properly, and that it is securely in the same position for the second carve as it was for the first one.

The enclosed picture is nearly as it came out of the machine, I scraped the background (I find that to be easier than sanding - cabinet scraper or old chisles)