PDA

View Full Version : CW power consumption

brdad
08-30-2008, 08:00 PM
I remember reading a few questions regarding how much power the CW uses. This morning while carving Jeff Birt's apple project, I hooked the CW up to my watt-hour meter to find out.

The project took about 1.5 hours to carve, but I had the machine on for another 15 minutes or so during setup and to square the board. The board was pine so it carved easily.

When the cut motor was not running, current draw was low, about 2 amps. On start up, the cut motor peaked at 10 amps momentarily, but dropped quickly to about 4.5 amps, whether it was carving wood or in the air. Once in a while the machine would bump up to 5 amps, but it was rare. I imagine it would be slightly higher when carving higher density woods, and will be sure to test it when I carve something harder.

And the most important number I like to know is how many kilowatt-hours the machine uses while carving a project - The CW used just under 0.5 kilowatt-hours of power to create the apple project. Here in Maine, with a price of about 12 cents per KWH, that calculates to about 6 cents of electricity to make the apple. Cheap enough!

FiddlemakerMills
08-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks for that info.

Just remember to add it X-3 into your retail cost.

:-D

Carl

Digitalwoodshop
08-30-2008, 11:17 PM
That is good information.

Thanks,

AL

liquidguitars
08-31-2008, 12:07 PM
How about sleep mode some power saving?

Solar panals could power it if i had it.. or time to design the wind gen soon..

carvwight running with green power would be sweet..

LG