PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Install

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
08-29-2008, 10:28 AM
I just installed my software onto a new computer.. Does anyone know the best way to transfer my patterns and projects onto this new PC? Disk, memory card, e mail,etc.? Thanks in advance. Matt.

Jeff_Birt
08-29-2008, 10:35 AM
I have been using Microsofts Sync Toy : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

It was reccomended by another user a few months ago. It allows you to sync folders on diffrent computers. It lets me keep all my CW stuff synced betweenteh desktop and laptop.

If your just wanting a one time transfer, it would be easiest to hook both computers up to your home network (if you have one) to transfer the files. If you don't have a home network you could use a cross over ethernet cable to hook the two machines together. Or a large USB thumb drive would work as well.

Deolman
08-29-2008, 01:43 PM
It doesn't matter which medium you use if it is large enough to handle the data. If you can burn a CD or DVD on your old machine, you might consider that approach. When you finish burning everything to a disk you will have a backup you can archive. I personally have a 350MB USB hard drive I can move to my various PCs.

BTW Synctoy 2.0 is now available from Microsoft as well as a whitepaper outlining it's uses.

www.go3d.us
08-29-2008, 02:42 PM
I suggest CD or DVD disk as Deolman does. Or for faster transfer usb memory stick is the way to go if you have one on hand.
If you want to transfer all the patterns in your favorite folder you can look for it in Documents and Settings/your pc user name/CarveWright folder. Copy the favorites.mpn file and put it in the same folder on your new pc.

Also backing up all the actual patterns on a CD or DVD.

I wish CW designer has a mass import and export feature in the future.