PDA

View Full Version : Spinning my wheels here.

carvingcanuck
08-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Well, After talking to the help hotline today, I have basically learned that as a Canadian, I am pretty much hooped owning this machine. For those that haven't followed and read any of my previous distress calls I'll briefly get you up to date.
I received my machine about a month ago. I've managed to work, and read my way through a few of the newbie problems thanks to you guys mostly. I even carved myself an address sign as well as edge routed a board. Right now I have a total working time of just under 3 hours but it doesn't look like I'll be making it to 3. I have run into a series of road blocks.
1. Clear sensor board
2. While trying to remove the sensor board, one screw doesn't budge. I end up stripping the screw and virtually ripping off most of the head off the screw. I used vise grips, I bought damaged screw removal bits, I even bought a new 90 degree power drill adapter so that I could use the drill in the confined space. Still , no luck. That screw is not coming out man.
3. While trying to remove the screw, I damaged the plastic part of the sensor board. after talking to the help guys. I decided to break the rest of the plastic and rip the sensor board out so that I might have more access to the damaged screw.
4. I was told that since I live in Canada, they could not directly send me a sensor board. I would have to call a company called Triton to see if they could send me the part. I called Triton and they said they were just getting familiar with the product and that they would have to call me back. They still haven't after 4 days.
5. It then occurred to me that it wouldn't matter if they sent me a new sensor because I wouldn't be able to attach it anyway as long as the screw was still in the way. So I called Carvewright today, and although the gentleman was very friendly and was trying to be as helpful as possible, he informed me that I could not send my machine back from Canada. It would have to be sent from a US address. He also informed me that I wouldn't be able to send it to this Canadian Triton company because I didn't buy it from them. So basically I'm screwed.

My uncle-inlaw from California ordered the machine for me in California and drove it up here. They are now telling me that every time I need a part or have to send them the machine, I will have to send it first to my uncle and then he must send it to them. When it's fixed they will send it to my uncle and he will have to send it to me. This isn't an option for me as I promised my uncle that I would not bother him again for such a favor. After the numerous problems that I have run into with this machine so far, I can't ignore the fact that this machine might have to make the trip to Texas more than once. Not only that, but I have now been told by the help hotline that my warranty is void now because the Machine is no longer in the States.

Realistically the best thing to do would be to return the machine for a refund, buy the machine from the Canadian company Triton, and then deal with them with my future problems. You would think that Carvewright would have a better way of working with us Canadians up here. But as of right now I am spinning my wheels trying to figure out how I can do this. If I could just get that screw out of the machine, I could then maybe worry about how I could get my hands on a little board sensor instead of worrying about how I might have to move to the states before I can carve anything again.

Are there any fellow Canadians that might know something that I don't when it comes to these issues? Any advice at all would be much appreciated.
cheers.

FiddlemakerMills
08-29-2008, 12:51 AM
I can understand the frustration that you have. Just remember do one thing at a time. Remove the screw is the first situation. Since the senser board is off do you have better access to the screw location, inspect the area with a mirror.

liquidguitars
08-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Did you heat the screw first ?

it will come out..

LG

carvingcanuck
08-29-2008, 01:39 PM
I will try that method again today. The problem is I have very little of the head on the screw to work with. I'll let you know how I make out today.
cheers.

Jeff_Birt
08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm sorry your having troubles with your machine. CW has always stated that they only offered the machine for sale in the US. (Up until the recent announcement that they will have a Canadian distributor.) By finding a way to obtain the machine and having it shipped to you, you have taken the responsibility on yourself. The good thing is that CW still provides great phone support no matter what.

If worse come to worse you can always pull out the whole Y/Z truck assembly to get better access to the broken screw.

www.go3d.us
08-29-2008, 01:59 PM
O no, Sorry to hear that.

Anyway, for those who is about to remove the y/z truck.

It is not neccessary to remove the screw.

What you need is a #12 c wrench. Start by remove screw number 8, loosen part #47 and remove one end of the ribbon cable, then remove the plastic cap cover the top 2 roller bearing adjustable assembly part #39(2x) (hint adjustable), the back of the roller has a lock nut, give it about 35 degree counter clockwise turn (clockwise if you facing it infront) or until the y/z truck loosing up on the rail. Once it become loose you can lift the y/z truck up and pull it out of the railing.

It's still fixable in your case as long as non of the led sensor is broken.
Just leave the screw where it is and turn the lock nut on the back roller so you can snap the y/z truck back into place. Use super glue or loctite to keep the screw inplace.

Once you have the board sensor out (as long as you didn't break the thing that looked like an led, 3 of them), clean it, put it back and use super glue gel seal around the plastic case.

I hope your problem is fixed soon.

HT

carvingcanuck
08-31-2008, 02:05 PM
O.K. gentlemen, after hours of struggling with this screw, and buying a 90degree drill attachment, vice grips, damaged screw removal bits and a soldering tool, I finally got the lil bugger out. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm thinking that heating the screw played a big part of it because there seemed to be some sort of ring of plasticy goo that was at the bottom of the screw.

Now on to the next challenge. I need to get a new sensor board, and as mentioned, they will not send one to me here in Canada. Does any one know where I can buy a few of them. Do any of you have a stockpile of them where you can sell some to me???? Where do my other fellow Canadians get their parts???

I know I still have a few obstacles in my way to get carving again, but for now I am absolutely ecstatic to have finally have gotten that screw out.
Thanks again to all of you.

Dan-Woodman
08-31-2008, 02:11 PM
They now sell cw's to canada so you should be able to get parts. There distributor there is Triton GMC.
later Daniel

carvingcanuck
08-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Great, I'll try them again. Does anybody know the part number for the board sensor?

Deolman
08-31-2008, 02:32 PM
If you go here:

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/parts_list_manual.pdf

you will have the entire parts list with numbers.

mtylerfl
08-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Great, I'll try them again. Does anybody know the part number for the board sensor?

Hello,

You can download a complete parts list from our Learning Center (right-hand column...scroll down to "CarveWright Parts List").

http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html

Kenm810
08-31-2008, 02:41 PM
138 Board Sensor Board Assembly MWM A2019

Opp's to slow!

www.go3d.us
08-31-2008, 03:58 PM
carvingcanuck, if you don't crack the board sensor or any of the led diod then just clean it and put it back, not thing is wrong with it.

------------------------------------
Kenm810 pics.
I guess this is the new board sensor for the new zpack, mine has 3 wire from the diod running to the back of the motor. hmmm.....

jerrbitt
08-31-2008, 04:22 PM
If you can't get the part from the canadian distributor, let me know and perhaps we can work somthing out where I would order the part and send it to you. I would expect reimbursemt for the part and postage.

SandBuoy
09-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Canuck,

I feel your pain on the board sensor buddy. I waited over 2 weeks for one to get my machine up and running. Seem one of the guys in shipping for CW sent the package but forgot to put the sensor in the box.

I have 3 board sensor sitting here right now. If you want, I can sent you one in the padded envelope they came in, if you can't get one from the Candain company. It has to be quicker and probably cheaper from them.

PM me if your interested and we can work out the details and your address.

carvingcanuck
09-01-2008, 02:17 AM
Wow, thanks allot for all of your help guys. I will see what the Canadian company says on Tuesday, but I will gladly take some of you up on your generosity if I can't get any help from Triton. I will definitely be covering your costs and the postage. It's nice to think that I might actually have this thing up and running soon. As for my current board sensor, I took the clear plastic off and cleaned it as best I could but I am still getting all sorts of crazy errors. So for my sake I am really hoping that replacing the board sensor will take me to the promise land.
That reminds me, do the screws come with the new board sensors? I will need to get my hands on some of those as well seeing as one of mine is completely stripped and mangled.
Thanks again crew.

Kenm810
09-01-2008, 06:57 AM
carvingcanuck,

The last time I orderd a Board sensor, it was to keep in my extra parts box
to have on hand the next time I need one. It didn't come with screws,
so I picked up a few at our local Hardware store to put in the parts box.

CW Manual page 8 - Part #43 Machine Screw
Pan Head, M3 x 08mm Long ---- CW# SCMM-3.0-0.50PA-08AB

TritonGeorge
09-02-2008, 03:45 PM
I am the Sales Manager with Triton, just joined the Forum to educate myself. Have you spoken to someone from our office yet? I know we have a full shipment of spare parts coming in but will not arrive until Thursday. Is that what you've been told?

Wow, thanks allot for all of your help guys. I will see what the Canadian company says on Tuesday, but I will gladly take some of you up on your generosity if I can't get any help from Triton. I will definitely be covering your costs and the postage. It's nice to think that I might actually have this thing up and running soon. As for my current board sensor, I took the clear plastic off and cleaned it as best I could but I am still getting all sorts of crazy errors. So for my sake I am really hoping that replacing the board sensor will take me to the promise land.
That reminds me, do the screws come with the new board sensors? I will need to get my hands on some of those as well seeing as one of mine is completely stripped and mangled.
Thanks again crew.

carvingcanuck
09-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey TritonGeorge

Good to hear from you. I actually got home too late in the day and the Triton offices were closed already. I haven't heard back from anybody from Triton, but what you are telling me about the shipment sounds like some good news. I should be able to call them tomorrow and see if the board sensor is one of the parts that they will be carrying. Should I specifically ask for you when I call tomorrow or is there someone else who knows more about the situation?

alpmeadow
09-03-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm another canuck from Golden BC, that purchased a CW in US(Spokane). My CW still works fine, though, only used occasionally. Good luck carvingcanuck with your screwed sensor problem.
I ordered extra sensor, parts and belts when the machine was purchased and haven't had to use any yet(touch wood). I'm pleased to hear Triton is on the job in Canada now.
Welcome TritonGeorge, please advise what type of CW service and parts you will have available and advise how you maybe able to help the early bird xborder canucks with CW?
Cheers
alpmeadow