PDA

View Full Version : Carves smaller than layed out

flemingswoodworks
08-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Hello my problem is that the machine carves out smaller than I lay it out on the software..ant Tips
thanks Will

Ike
08-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Hello my problem is that the machine carves out smaller than I lay it out on the software..ant Tips
thanks Will

Will, if you choose to stay under the rollers it reduces the lay by 7" If you don't want this to happen choose no for the rollers or make a jig with 3 1/2" extension on both ends. Or add 7" to the board you are using.

Ike

Jeff_Birt
08-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Check out the December 2007 issue of Tips & Tricks: http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Dec07.pdf

I might suggest reading through all the back issues as doing so will save you some grief while getting to know your machine. Also, this forum has a great 'Search' tool. Using it will allow you to find answers to many questions as well.

mtylerfl
08-28-2008, 05:06 PM
thanks Will

Hello Will,

As Jeff mentioned, please do read the free Tips & Tricks. The Dec '07 and the Jan '08 issues will keep you from additional "pilot errors" and teach you how to maintain your machine.

Also, the "7" rule" is mentioned in your CompuCarve manual...page 23. Shows a picture of a board as it appears in Designer and a picture of a board you actually use in your machine...i.e., 7" longer than the layout board. You must keep your board under the rollers at all times to avoid problems - that's why you need to add the extra length.

Later, you can look into building a carrier board or sled to run your projects on, which can eliminate the need for adding the extra 7". That is covered in one of the Tips & Tricks issues as well.

All the best. Post some pictures of your projects in the Gallery when you get a chance!

flemingswoodworks
08-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks everyone...I checked out the Tips and Tricks like you said and I just read the one on adding legth ...thanks again

AWoodsmith
09-03-2008, 02:02 PM
The tips and trick are helping me. I am not touching my machine again until I read a lot more.

Ed

mtylerfl
09-03-2008, 02:42 PM
The tips and trick are helping me. I am not touching my machine again until I read a lot more.

Ed

Glad they're helpful for you.

There's a couple example projects in a some of the issues you could do to get your feet "wetter". Wouldn't want you to deprive yourself of having some fun with your machine!

AWoodsmith
09-14-2008, 08:27 AM
:DThe tips and tricks as well as this place has helped a lot, so I read and I carve, life is grand...:mrgreen: