PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion For CW Machine

Technicow
08-26-2008, 12:32 AM
It would seem helpfull to have an option one could set which would give the machine a set break (to cool down). For example, to be able to have the machine take a 5 minute break every 20 minutes.

Rocky
08-26-2008, 04:08 AM
It would seem helpfull to have an option one could set which would give the machine a set break (to cool down). For example, to be able to have the machine take a 5 minute break every 20 minutes.

I understand your concern, and your suggestion would help. However, it seems to me that design changes to address this issue would be more appropriate. After all, many types of assembly line machines, for example, run for hours and hours on end without a "rest".

Digitalwoodshop
08-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Easy Fix..... Wind up Bathroom vent timer. Break the wires for the cover switch and mount a RCA Jack in the cover of the machine. Use a Shorting plug for normal use. Put a RCA plug on a Bathroom Timer and set it to your desired stop time. Start carving and when the switch runs out the contacts open and the machine stops. Also works for a remote stop switch for the machine too, like for me sitting in the Laser Shop listening to the Wood Shop on the intercom....

I also have one of the Demand Router Dust Collector Switches that you plug the carve machine into. When the cut motor kicks in the outlet for the dust collector kicks in. The cut motor stops and the dust collector stops 30 seconds later. The switch is 115 VAC and my Dust Collector is 220. I will plug a Wall Wort 24 VAC Transformer into the outlet and it will run a heavy relay activating the 220 volt dust collector.....

Now I have all the stuff but just need to do it...... Was going to get a Smoke Detector with axillary contacts and wire it into the cover switch too so if the smoke starts to come from the bit or the flex burning up again it stops the machine and the dust collector. The dust collector in a fire could be a big problem......

My in-laws called me High Tech..... Snicker.....

They really liked that driveway beeper and Cable TV through out the house....
AL

Technicow
08-26-2008, 11:54 AM
I like the timer idea. The only problem is the manual restart. It would need a firmware tweek as it waits for [Enter] to be pressed to continue.

I'm looking into using a high temperature 1/8" x 1/4" very flexible silicone hose (medical grade) to create a temperature sink on the flex shaft. I'm going to wind it on the flex shaft and recirculate water through it. Just dump some ice cubes & water into a 5 gallon bucket and put a small fish tank power head on one end.

I've relegated a table and cut a hole in the bottom where I have a shop vac drawing shavings through the bottom, and sealed (tape) around the base of the machine to create suction, it seems to work like a champ. This also draws air through the main gallery as well to cool the bit & Z axis assembly.

This weekend the sound chamber (sound deadening) goes into place. That I'll build out of styrofoam (a few inches thick) with a cutout for the cut motor exhaust/muffler, and the board feed areas. I figure styrofoam is easiest as I can move it out of the way easily.

I'm driving my poor wife crazy I bet....

Andy

cnsranch
08-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Technicow -

do a search on downdraft tables - when I did, I found that completely sealing the bottom of the machine is a bad thing - some computer components need air apparently from the top. You should only seal the opening on the bottom of the machine.

Amonaug
08-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Technicow -

do a search on downdraft tables - when I did, I found that completely sealing the bottom of the machine is a bad thing - some computer components need air apparently from the top. You should only seal the opening on the bottom of the machine.

Correct, if you seal the whole bottom that also draws sawdust into the electronic components in the base. Best to just use weather stripping around the opening in the base.

I don't have any problems with heat. Flexshaft only gets to about 115 degrees and then I know it's about time to re-lube it.

mtylerfl
08-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Personally, I like to keep things simple.

I've got two machines. No downdraft, no timers, no problems.

I'm happy!

Technicow
08-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Is about 115 degrees safe to use as a "pause" point? I've been very cautious about letting it get too toasty. I would even use the term "paranoid" about letting it get too hot.

I actually just put masking tape around the outside bottom (that 1/4" or so gap between the outside edge of the CW & the table). I'll remove that and see about kicking up the dust collection to create more draw.

Andy

Correct, if you seal the whole bottom that also draws sawdust into the electronic components in the base. Best to just use weather stripping around the opening in the base.

I don't have any problems with heat. Flexshaft only gets to about 115 degrees and then I know it's about time to re-lube it.

Amonaug
08-26-2008, 12:40 PM
There was a post around here somewhere that someone said a tech from LHR said that the z-truck shouldn't get above 120 degrees. I use that as a guide, I've had the flexshaft get to around 120 before and it didn't melt so I'd say that is a good indication it's getting on the hot side. Right now after a re-lube the shaft reads 91-105 depending on the area of the shaft and that is after a couple hours carving non-stop.

liquidguitars
08-26-2008, 12:59 PM

not shure if this helps or not..

never used it, but look at the options menu on the key pad you can program the unit to power down, not sure about a power up.

Off LHR site:

Configuration Menu Options
The configuration menu allows the user to set project and machine
settings as well as access important run-time and serial number data. To
access the Configurations Menu, select the “0” (Options) key at the
CarveWright Main Menu or use the up/down arrows to locate the menu
and press ENTER. Use the up/down arrows to navigate to the following
menu options:
1) Quality (Default, Draft, Normal, Best)
The Quality menu option lets the user change the carving quality of
the project on the fly. Selecting default will use the settings selected
in the Designer software.
2) Version
The Version menu option will display the version number of the
control system firmware.
3) Usage Odometer
The Usage Odometer menu option will display the usage of the
machine in hours and minutes.
4) Show Serial Number
Selecting the Show Serial Number menu option will display the
machine’s unique serial number.
5) Jog Touch (Off/On)
Setting this option to On configures the machine so that the user is
required to manually set the location of the bit tip for the surface find
operation. During the project setup, the machine will prompt the user
to jog the bit tip over the location on the workpiece that will serve as
the top surface for the project. This is particularly useful when there
are already features carved into the material that prohibit the
machine from automatically detecting the top surface of the material.
The default setting is Off, which allows the machine to automatically
find the top surface of the material.
6) Calibrate offsets
The Calibrate Offsets function is a simple procedure to allow the user
to fine-tune the machine for improved accuracy.
7) Sensor Check
The Sensor Check menu options allow access to all of the machine’s
real-time senor readings.

8) Sleep After (off, 1, 5, 10, 15, 30, 45, 60 min)
The Sleep After option is used to set when the electronics go into a
low power sleep mode. This interval is measures from the last
keypad command.
LG

Technicow
08-26-2008, 01:20 PM
That is more of an inactivity timer and then sleep mode. What I'm thinking is entering a pause (as though the lid was lifted) after XX minutes of use go by (ie: 30 minutes, perhaps a custom entry). Then it sets a timer on the micro controller for YY minutes (perhaps another custom entry) after which it restarts (same as close lid & press [enter].

Although...now that I'm thinking about it.... a thermister by the flexshaft hooked to the microcontroller (on one of the MUX's). A watchdog routine (int timer) checking the A/D value of the thermister would watch the temp. Then if the temp reached a set value the machine would enter a pause mode and watch till the temp fell below a threshold value. After that it would restart...

[QUOTE=liquidguitars;63414]not shure if this helps or not..
but look at the options menu on the key pad you can program the unit to power down, not sure about a power up.