PDA

View Full Version : Disaster

carvingcanuck
08-23-2008, 05:09 PM
So may latest problem of trying to take off the screws that hold the sensor plate onto the machine, has now turned into a disaster. After stripping the screw while trying to remove it (with the proper screw driver might I add), I was then forced to grip the head with some strong pliers and try to turn it that way. Not only did this not work, but I have pretty much mangled what's left of the head so that there is little left to grip. It's as if this little screw was crazy glued to the machine or something. I have absolutely not a clue what I can do next.

Firedkm
08-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Sears sell some nice easy outs for screws.....The ones I have actually go over the top of the screw....This will grab onto the outside of the head and unscrew it.

Dale

FiddlemakerMills
08-23-2008, 05:50 PM
If you have a soldering iron, you can try heating the head of the screw then cool it quickly. It may release then. just don"t overheat the screw.

carvingcanuck
08-23-2008, 06:25 PM
God I hope that works. I'll try that. thanks.

bizbiki
08-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I think your bset bet is to place a call to LHR monday mrning and get their opiinion, sometimes you can make a bad thing worse by staying on it, and when you start stripping screws you can get to a point of no return. Given the cost of the CW it sounds like you may want to send it to them and have them fix it.

Ive done this once before and other than the 2 week turn around time I was compeletly satisfied.

Good luck.

carvingcanuck
08-23-2008, 08:22 PM
thanks for the advice. I've bought a set of screw removal bits. And still haven't had any luck. The main problem is that it is so awkward to try and do anything to the screws on the board sensor.
Does carvewright pay for the shipping when you have a problem with your machine? And is 2 weeks a pretty save bet, or do they usually take longer?

Ike
08-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Wow, never heard of such a thing. Have you tried any thing like WD-40? Know this sounds strange try tightening the screw to break the seal. The very least the sensor has plastic tabs, you can try breaking it. It will give you more room for the screw and possibly loosen it. Or send it in for repair, either way you will have a wait.

Ike

liquidguitars
08-23-2008, 11:03 PM
My screws had locktight 2.. So use a drop of oil
when replacing the new ones.

Even back it off 2 times when screwing it back in.

Soldering iron seems like a good idea to get the glue soft if any..

LG