PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Treated?

tstryk
08-22-2008, 06:43 AM
So far, I have refused to carve and pressure treated wood because of the chemicals released. How do you folks feel about it? Have you carved any? I won't even cut it with a saw indoors.

badger
08-22-2008, 06:49 AM
Members carve the MDF all the time. As mentioned though make sure you have a decent dust collection system and mask if you will be in the same room. Always safety first, thats why they make the equipment.

luckettg
08-22-2008, 06:55 AM
I have been using PT lumber and panels for a couple of years recently for building sheds, bulkheads, fences, and decks. This left me with some scrap to play with. I do not burn the PT lumber scraps like I do with the other scraps and when making lots of cuts I wear a dust filter. This being said, I rejected using any in the CarveWright due to it brittleness, cracking, and uneaveness. I have run some through the planer and on the jointer a few years ago to experiment with sign building using a router. The results were not good. I much prefer white oak, sassafras, and cedar for the signs.
Greg.

luckettg
08-22-2008, 06:57 AM
Members carve the MDF all the time. As mentioned though make sure you have a decent dust collection system and mask if you will be in the same room. Always safety first, thats why they make the equipment.

MDF is considered to be PT? I did not realize that. I do carve with it and do wear a breathing mask as the glues in it are hazardous.
Greg.

Kenm810
08-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Remember it's not wise to Carve either of these products in an indoors or basement shop,
That is heated or cooled by a centeral forced air Furnace - A/C unit.
The airborne Dust and Chemicals will be distributed through out the entire Building or House.
Offices, Lunch Rooms, and at home in Bedrooms, Kitchens, Nurseries. Please be careful.

luckettg
08-22-2008, 07:09 AM
That is good advice, Ken.:)

badger
08-22-2008, 07:17 AM
MDF is considered to be PT? I did not realize that.

Sorry my misinterpretation of his pressure treated.

brdad
08-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Some of the new PT has copper in it as well, not sure if it is enough to affect the machine but obviously its not as good as pure wood.

Digitalwoodshop
08-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Some of the old PT wood had Arsenic in it and I saw a Medical Show where the couple had high levels of Arsenic in there blood and they went after the husband for poisoning his wife until they found the same level in his blood and with the Hair Test found the poison in the same place so they were exposed together. Turned out they spent a rainy weekend in a garage cutting all the pieces for a deck.

The new stuff with copper goes after steel and aluminum and rust's the steel..... Lag bolts and hardware needs to be double hot dipped galvanized and they still frown on using that due to nicks in the hardware. The recommendation is to use Stainless Steel hardware. You also can't use Aluminum as flashing now and must use plastic or Copper for an increased price.

A few years ago a raised deck collapsed killing some people in Chicago watching Fire Works. That was failed hardware that caused it. I am waiting for the new string of PT Steps and decks failing because during the transition to the new PT Contractors resisted using the NEW Approved Hardware and went on the "Old Ways" and just did it with Nail Guns using steel nails.... They are slowly being eaten away every month and some day soon will fail and the Law Suits will begin....

As for using it in my machine... NEVER.... It will rust and damage the machine.

Like Laser Engraving PVC, it generates a acid that eats the bearings and precision rails and is toxic.... You just Don't DO IT....

Take a spray bottle of water and add a half cup of salt and shake it up. Now open your machine and spray it all over the inside...... Watch it RUST and stop working..... Same thing...... I am surprised that LHR did not have something in the warranty warning against using Pressure Treated Wood..... Voiding the Warranty....
AL

brdad
08-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Couldn't agree more, Al. I use only stainless steel hardware on PT wood now. Lag bolts, threaded rod, nuts, washers, and flashing. On the rare occasion I can't use stainless, I will use galvanized and stick a piece of ice and water shield where it contacts the PT. the last deck I built wrapped around two walls, the hardware alone was $700. If a customer wants to take chances with other hardware, they can find someone else to build it. I'd rather be doing the smaller jobs anyway.

Digitalwoodshop
08-22-2008, 07:44 PM
I worked at our local Lumber Company during the transition period... Went from fixing Play Stations and DVD's to "Is that 2 x 6 x 12 PT you want?".... Being a Counter Guy selling wood and loading trucks. It was a hard sell getting the contractors to understand that the job they just bid will cost twice what they though because of the hardware.... Most would not believe that wood could dissolve steel..... We put a test piece in the weather with Steel and Stainless Hardware in it and I could see the difference.

When I built my shops, I built 2 small retaining walls of 4 x 4 pressure treated. I drilled through them and used raw re-bar to hold them along with stainless 6 inch screws. I see the re-bar is slowly going away.... The 3 foot Drill Bit looked pretty bad after sitting in the shop after being exposed to the green PT wood juice.... Very Rusty.

Decks will fail and the Lawyers will have a fieldday... Expect to see TV Ads with some overweight lady standing on a failed step holding her neck and talking to a lawyer for her pain and suffering..... Then the Lawyer announces if you had a deck or steps built during the transition to the new pressure treated wood you may have a case against the builder for improper installation and to CALL NOW.... Operators Standing BY.....

Snicker...

AL

Jvicaretti
08-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Wow Al, from those pictures looks like you have been busy.