PDA

View Full Version : All quiet on the pattern front/ need a good pepper canning recipe

Ike
08-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Haven't seen any request for any patterns lately. Have thousands of them, maybe I should set up a pattern store.....Nah like sharing them lol!

Off the subject, have a bunch of wax, banana peppers and need a good canning recipe. Any of you southern folks have a good recipe to share. Will share a pattern for a good recipe!

Ike

newcarver
08-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Tried canning them a couple years ago, but recipe had oil in it and they didnt quite have the crunch I wanted. Looking for this also

Ike
08-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Not quite a carving subject, but love the peppers and want to preserve them for the winter months! I heard oil recipes can invite disease, like you rather have the crunch!

PS machine running like a champ!!!

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
08-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Buddy Chris made up a Navy CPO Anchor .ptn for me and WOW does it POP out...... Blew out my WOW Meter..... Carving it now in 2 versions.

A remake of a project that the Anchors didn't carve well.

Peppers.... Snap yes, Oil no... HOT.... NO!!!!.... :)

Glad your new machine is running well Ike.

AL

Ike
08-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Very cool Chief! Nice pattern, hey should get a discount became a senior!

Ike

Jvicaretti
08-20-2008, 08:53 PM
This is the best recipe and works for peppers and cucumbers for pickles. First prepare your jars and lids so they are ready. Then place 1 0r 2 cloves of garlic in the bottom or each jar along with a sprig of dill. At this point add your peppers cut the way you want them in each jar leaving enough space at the top for a good seal. In a pan mix 4 cups of water, 1 cup of vinegar and 1/2 cup of pickling salt, bring this to a boil and immediately pour into the prepared jars. Place the hot lids and rings on the jar and tighten each one. Let set until they cool and seal. It takes at least a week for the flavor to go through but I guarantee these will be the best pickled peppers you have ever had.

Digitalwoodshop
08-20-2008, 10:30 PM
I like that Recipe too...

Carved the first of 2 clocks and I am very impressed with the result. Chris did a GREAT job with this from scratch.... Thanks Buddy !!!!

AL

Ike
08-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Now that sounds great! Is it ok to use apple cider vinegar? Bought some jars and a pot to prepare them with. Saw the pickling salt, but wasn't sure I needed it. Will go back tomorrow to get some.

Appreciate the recipe, saw so many that included sugar and vinegar salt etc. Wanted a simple yet good recipe and you have provided it for me! Thannk you so much!

So that this remains within the topics of the forum, will stir the pot with a 1/16 ball nose bit and the peppers with the 1/8 cutting bit!!!

Ike

Jvicaretti
08-21-2008, 06:08 AM
I have never used apple cider vinegar to make this and don't recall my Mom or Grandmother ever using apple cider vinegar. I just use the white (clear) vinegar for it. And then stir it with the 1/16" ball nose bit. This also works great for green tomatoes that don't get a chance to ripen before the frost. Let me know how it turns out.

Semper Fi
08-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Ike, here is mine:
1 gallon cider vinegar
1 gallon water
5 lb. sugar
one golf ball size pickling spices in a cheesecloth bag

clean, hot jars with garlic and pepper rings inside.
seals in a boiling water bath.

Boil mixture until the spices smell strong, then pour over peppers and garlic and seal.

They will be crunchy!

Semper Fi
08-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Ike, a guy brought these to deer camp last year and they are good.

Here is the recipe for crock peppers.

1/2 QT Olive Oil

1 QT Cider vinegar

2 QT Water

2 Garlic head (Chopped up)

3/4 cups salt

2 Tsp Oregano

Cut up peppers and put in brine at least for 24 hr ( I let mine in longer
4-5 days ) If you want you can then transfer to jars or leave them in a
crock. I use a plastic bucket to soak them in so I put mine in jars after
they soak for a week. That is the hardest part Not a Bad recipe. Recipe is
for about 1/4 bushel I don't measure as long as the peppers are covered by
brine. Also no need to refrigerate.

Ike
08-21-2008, 02:38 PM
I love this time of the year, all the fresh veggies. Cooking in the crock pot fresh vegetable soup. Loaded with hearty veggies potatoes, squash, carrots, green beans, onion, tomatoes and red bell peppers slices for flavor! Are ya hungry yet?!

I appreciate the pepper recipes, as I said, bought mason jars and the bath wash pot and have cider and red wine vinegar. Going to try both, hope they turn out.

Here is a pattern of peppers to share and other veggies!

Ike

Ike
08-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Here are more ran out of space!

Ike

Jvicaretti
08-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Thank you for the patterns Ike, I appreciate all you post.

Ike
08-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Jvicaretti, thanks so much for the canning recipe. I followed the one you gave me, well I did use half part red wine and cider vinegar. That is what I bought so used it, added carrots and onions and garlic cloves. They look great and sealed all 12 jars!

Thank you again and if you need any patterns let me know. Have lots of fruits and veggies patterns.

Ike

Jvicaretti
08-21-2008, 07:58 PM
It takes at least a few days for the flavors to mix well. Let me know how you like them when you taste them. Everyone who has ever had them says they are the best pickles or pickled whatever that they have ever had.

Ike
08-21-2008, 09:22 PM
It takes at least a few days for the flavors to mix well. Let me know how you like them when you taste them. Everyone who has ever had them says they are the best pickles or pickled whatever that they have ever had.

Thanks again, going to wait a least a week or two before I open a jar up. Still have some fresh peppers to eat.

Will see how mixing with 1/16 ballnose and cutting the peppers with 1/8 cutting bit taste!!!! Lol

Ike

supershingler
08-21-2008, 09:25 PM
i bet a sprinkle of cherry dust carved with that bit would be the final touch lol

kendall

Ike
08-22-2008, 01:26 PM
i bet a sprinkle of cherry dust carved with that bit would be the final touch lol

kendall

Now that might just give it some flavor! Too bad I canned all of them already!

Ike